8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 334

8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#1 » Jun 17 2017 08:11

I am holding the German Index Xenos II in my hands and I have mixed feelings:

Translated model-names are gone and even the Sternenreich der Tau (Star-Empire of Tau) is gone.
The translations, at least in German, were really good and sometimes better than the original ones I think.
Broadsides have been called Koloss (colossus)
once they were the biggest suits. Ha!
and the Gunships were Gefechtspanzer (Battletank) and Raketenpanzer (Missiletank).

Now we have the English names and it is fine. Makes it easier in international conversations.

But then I saw the weapons and support systems. And they are all translated. Inconsistency and I am now confused which weapon in german is which one in english.

I thought ordnance in english would mean something like "artillery" or just "large weaponry".
The Ordnance Railgun is translated as Überlegenheits-Massebeschleuniger (superiority mass accelerator) while they even translated the "Longshot" in Longshot Pulserifle.

And all that leads to some really strange names.
Drones are drones and no Drohnen as models are not translated anymore. But the controller ist translated as Steuerung. That's correct.
But instead of having a Drohnen-Steuerung (drone controller) we got a Drone-Steuerung.
Same with marks-man holofields and so on.



If rules are unclear it is sometimes a good idea to look them up in other translations. And germans are famous for being exact and writing very detailed handbooks.

The Saviour Protocols in german are not mentioning wounds (Wunden) but Verwundung (wounding). The difference is: a wound is a final result while wounding is the act of placing a wound.
So in german there is no doubt: wounds go to the drones and they use their own saves.

Can someone tell me what the english names for the following weapons is?

- Pulsblasterkanone (3 profiles: 10", 20" and 30")
- Zerstörerrakete (Stormsurge's missile)
- Ionenbeschleuniger (Riptide)
- Ionenkanone (Hammerhead)
- Zyklischer Ionensturmblaster (Ghostkeel)
- Zyklischer Ionenblaster (Crisis/Commander)

Maybe we can even do a whole list. 1:1 translations don't work.

Have you seen other discrepancies in even other languages?

User avatar
thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal
Posts: 137

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#2 » Jun 17 2017 08:25

Ricordis wrote:
Can someone tell me what the english names for the following weapons is?

- Pulsblasterkanone (3 profiles: 10", 20" and 30")
- Zerstörerrakete (Stormsurge's missile)
- Ionenbeschleuniger (Riptide)
- Ionenkanone (Hammerhead)
- Zyklischer Ionensturmblaster (Ghostkeel)
- Zyklischer Ionenblaster (Crisis/Commander)

Maybe we can even do a whole list. 1:1 translations don't work.

Have you seen other discrepancies in even other languages?


Pulse blastcannon
Destroyer missiles
Ion Accelerator
Ion Cannon
Cyclic Ion Raker
Cyclic Ion Blaster

hope that helps

User avatar
MNGamer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 96

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#3 » Jun 17 2017 08:30

Pulse blast cannon
Destroyer missile
Ion accelerator
Ion cannon
Cyclic ion raker
Cyclic ion blaster

Hope that helps. If you need something else translated from the new codex I'll be getting it later this week.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#4 » Jun 17 2017 09:12

Urgh that's why I always refused to buy the german Codices (after my first one).
English all the way.

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 579

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#5 » Jun 18 2017 06:03

Now I WANT to buy the German books :D I love the language but I never have the time nor mental energy to dedicate to properly learning the language. I just know a few words here and there from my interest in WWII :) If you want to trade your German Index for my English one, let me know! (Not really, I'm only kidding. Postage to and from Australia to Europe would probably cost as much as a new Index :? )
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#6 » Jun 18 2017 06:51

Bloodknife92 wrote:Now I WANT to buy the German books :D I love the language but I never have the time nor mental energy to dedicate to properly learning the language. I just know a few words here and there from my interest in WWII :) If you want to trade your German Index for my English one, let me know! (Not really, I'm only kidding. Postage to and from Australia to Europe would probably cost as much as a new Index :? )

I don't think it's a good way to learn german since they don't really translate many names but rather interpret it new lol

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 334

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#7 » Jul 09 2017 07:30

I found an error in the german index and would like to know what the english one says.

Index Xenos II, page 60
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits

The equipment options say a Shas'vre may take a markerlight with multi-tracker.
Then below it there's the corresponding rule but it describes the target lock while having "multi-tracker" as title.

I guess I just have to replace multi-tracker with target lock but I wanted to be sure.

User avatar
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 386

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#8 » Jul 09 2017 08:16

The line is:

"The Shas'vre may take a markerlight and target lock"

Nowhere on the page is multi-tracker even mentioned.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1947

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#9 » Jul 09 2017 08:28

Ricordis wrote:I found an error in the german index and would like to know what the english one says.

Index Xenos II, page 60
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits

The equipment options say a Shas'vre may take a markerlight with multi-tracker.
Then below it there's the corresponding rule but it describes the target lock while having "multi-tracker" as title.

I guess I just have to replace multi-tracker with target lock but I wanted to be sure.


Yikes, that's just a typo. There have been typos in the Japanese books too, their international editors seem sloppy.

Finghain
Shas'Saal
Posts: 9

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#10 » Jul 10 2017 10:10

The MT/TL-issue seems to be more than just a simple typo, though; it appears they switched the effect of MT and TL around. Which confused the hell out of me when looking up the english names for systems using the points cost with the german Index and Battlescribe.

German Index has two those two wargear options:
Feuerleitsystem - 2p / 10p for SS, GK: no penalty for moving and firing heavy/advancing and firing assault weapons + advance and fire with rapid fire weapons
Multiple Zielerfassung - 6p / 12p for GK, RT, SS: reroll to-hit rolls of 1 when firing all weapons on the same target

Battlescribe has

Multi-tracker - 2p/10p - effect of Multiple Zielerfassung
Target Lock - 6p/12p - effect of Feuerleitsystem

Is this a translation error from the english to german Index or an error in Battlescribe? Based on the XV25 entry (and the system names), I'd guess Battlescribe is correct on this one and they messed up those two systems in the german Index?

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1947

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#11 » Jul 10 2017 10:22

Finghain wrote:The MT/TL-issue seems to be more than just a simple typo, though; it appears they switched the effect of MT and TL around. Which confused the hell out of me when looking up the english names for systems using the points cost with the german Index and Battlescribe.

German Index has two those two wargear options:
Feuerleitsystem - 2p / 10p for SS, GK: no penalty for moving and firing heavy/advancing and firing assault weapons + advance and fire with rapid fire weapons
Multiple Zielerfassung - 6p / 12p for GK, RT, SS: reroll to-hit rolls of 1 when firing all weapons on the same target

Battlescribe has

Multi-tracker - 2p/10p - effect of Multiple Zielerfassung
Target Lock - 6p/12p - effect of Feuerleitsystem

Is this a translation error from the english to german Index or an error in Battlescribe? Based on the XV25 entry (and the system names), I'd guess Battlescribe is correct on this one and they messed up those two systems in the german Index?


It seems like just the points are flipped. I assume "Feuerleitsystem" is Target Lock, right? And "Multiple Zielerfassung" is Multi-Tracker? The Target Lock is the one about moving and firing. The Multi-Tracker allows re-rolling 1s. The German book's translation seems right then, just the points are switched.

Finghain
Shas'Saal
Posts: 9

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#12 » Jul 10 2017 10:31

Arka0415 wrote:It seems like just the points are flipped. I assume "Feuerleitsystem" is Target Lock, right? And "Multiple Zielerfassung" is Multi-Tracker? The Target Lock is the one about moving and firing. The Multi-Tracker allows re-rolling 1s. The German book's translation seems right then, just the points are switched.


Yeah, the translations make sense that way, so it seems to be an issue with the points.

At first I was like "well, 'Feuerleitsystem' is 2 pts, so it must be the Multi-Tracker, then the 'Multiple Zielerfassung' must be the Target Lock - wait, that doesn't make any sense translation-wise" while using BS on my phone which doesn't have the wargear descriptions. But, yeah, with descriptions, it seems just to be the points cost that's wrong and the translation is fine. Well, time to write a Mail, I guess...

User avatar
thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal
Posts: 137

Re: 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies

Post#13 » Jul 10 2017 12:34

Yeah looks like a typos, the stealth shas'vre gets def gets a Marker light and target lock, this means he can move and still fire without the negative.

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nymphomanius and 7 guests