8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#1 » Jun 22 2017 10:16

SInce the other FW Topic is focused on the Y'Varna, figured I'd open this and quickly posy my initial impressions of the new FW index. I'm not going into a lot of detail, just a general overview for now, since I've not realy sat down and analysed.

First, they've introduced a new Weapon type; Macro. Basically anti titan weapons. More mobility limited than Heavy weapons, they do extra damage vs TITANIC and BUILDINGS

Onto the Tau stuff
I'll start with XV-9's, always a favorite of mine. The basic version comes in squads of 1-3, and 3 of them are about 25% more expensive than 3 xv-8 with 3 burst cannon, but put out 33% more firepower and have about 66% more wounds. Suddenly they are a cost effective alternative. A squad can take up to 4 tactical drones (1 suit with 4 drones!)
Sadly their T did not increase, but they gained extra wounds which I think is a decent trade off; on average a single lascannon will not one shot them. The photon casters slow enemy chargers down rather than acting as photon grenades. Assuming its cumulative with the grav drone, they could stop a lot of charges in their tracks...
The Fusion version seems less useful, since the guns are twice as expensive as the twin burst cannon. they kept the short range, but have normal fusion strength, so could be used as a monat; average of 4 Fusion shots per suit makes them a nasty anti armor threat
Phased Ion and Pulse submunitions translated pretty straight, but are now cheaper than the twin burst cannon making them tempting options.

The XV-107 R'Varna is nasty; each cannon does between 3 and 9 shots, and may reroll the dice if nova'd for the number of shots, for a potential of 27 wounds per cannon! (if the dice are perfect). It's wargear is limited to ATS or Stims, but comes stock with a multitracker. Tougher and with a more wounds than a Riptide. Overall I think it translated well to 8th

Commander R'myr now has a Rapid fire 2 Plasma, and his flechette pod can be used in shooting and melee, where it gets double attacks, but at lower strength than the suit- It makes him potentially lethal against hordes of gribblies ( e.g. Gaunts, GECs etc). A quibble I have with him is he has an "Improved shield generator"...which has the same invuln save as a normal one...Hopefully a typo

O'R'alai did get a T bump, and extra wounds, making him pretty durable, and his marker drones are remarkable good at melee. He gets rerolls against Characters, and his weapon is pretty good for multi wound models. Oddly, he lost the pulse submunitions profile on his experimental pulse submunitions rifle, but kept an emp (rapid fire 2!) which can do bonus mortal wounds to vehicles, or sabot, which will wound most models on a 3+ or better. Overall he's similar to before, but a little less flexible without the extra weapon profiles.

the KX139....Oww! As mentioned elsewhere it's much more expensive, but still powerful; tougher than a Riptide, and over twice the wounds, it also has a very good BS, til it takes damage.
The pulse drivers are not as nasty against hordes as before ( I think most really big templates fare poorly in the dice conversion), but can fairly easily one shot most tanks/ monster
The Railcannon actually is likely to inflict fewer wounds/turn, but so far it will wound just about anything on a 2+, and armor saves aren't happening. The cluster mortar now is no longer a ranged weapon, but inflicts MW to about half the models that charge it.
The Nexus now compares pretty well with the pulse drivers. Again, not as good against hordes, but a good damage profile; it will smash a unit of XV-8 (hit and wound on 2s, laughs at your armor, and does more than enough damage per hit to wipe out a suit)

Remote sensor towers, fortifications now, look to be a pretty good buy; a single triple strength markerlight, and a minor targeting boost for 1 nearby unit, for less than a suit. A little tougher than a suit, with a worse save, so durability is questionable

The Hammerhead variants don't really grab me; the bombardment version is basically a tank version of a missileside, while the fire support variant (which includes a twin hvy burst cannon, twin plasma and twin fusion option)seem questionable. Although the Twin HBC should do a number on Marines...twice the shots of a riptide!

The remoras are a bit of a let down; they're basically airborne battle suits with a pair of long range burst cannon. They lost their markerlight, and stealth just gives the same benfits as a Manta strike. This one I'm disappointed in, since I have 4 and the new version feels meh They're a little cheaper than before, but still around 80-90 points

The Manta is a beast. That's really all I need to say. Non flyers cannot hit is with Flamers or meltaguns (due to a range mechanic) and it's now as hard to hit as any other flyer. Total transport capacity is YUUUGE! 200 infantry/drones plus 8 XV-8/9 suits, plus 4 tanks (potentially with 48 more infantry and 8 attached drones)

The Tigershark is looking more appealing than before, since you can trade out the drone transport racks for 2 missile racks; roughly comparable to missile pods with more shots

That's about it for now. I must have sleepy now.
Overall I'm quite happy with how the stuff came out. A little head scratchy on some, but only really disappointed with the remoras

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Re: 8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#2 » Jun 22 2017 10:35

Any word on Tetras?

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 22 2017 10:39

My first impressions:

Liked:
- R'alai. Kept most of his past character, although lost his anti-light infantry weapon and photon casters. But has no gets hot and the AT weapon has double shots at 12", which is nice.
- DX-4 Technical Drones. AFAIK, had no rules previously. Those little buggers are S5 in melee (!) and can repair suits. They alone can make Broadsides and any Nova-tides much more interesting than they are today. Also, Ta'unar is a battlesuit, so... :crafty: . Sadly, can't fix vehicles.
- XV84 Commander. Just plain better than the old one - you have to hit with any weapon (has 2 slots) and 1 ML token will be applied to the target. It's a durable chain ML starter. It could go well with a Drone Controller and Shield Generator and stay at your backline, helping marker drones.
- Y'vahra. One of the better T'au units in the moment.
- R'varna. Its weapons doesn't increase hits and strength anymore, but average 6 shots per arm and able to get an ATS is really nice. It's mortal wounds nova effect is glorious vs elite melee deep strikers/fast stuff closing in
- Ta'unar. Lost a bit of durability, but offset it with drones taking hits for it. Secondary modes for Tri-axis and Pulse Bombardment seem lackluster. Nexus Missile is much better. Also, BS2+!
- TX7 Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead. It seems to be a good contender for the HYMP Broadside place. Certainly better than the old version with 2 MPs and a Velocity Tracker.
- TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead. It can exchange its base weapon for a twin HBC. For almost half the price of a Riptide, you can have its main gun - with more shots than a Nova'ed one! Ok, no 3++, drone help or ATS, but still seems a good deal to me. The Plasma version has better AP over the normal Hammerhead's Ion Cannon (no overcharge option, though) and its melta weapon is much better than its 7th version.
- DX-6 Remora. It lost the markerlight, but comes with BS4+ and it's a <Drone> (Drone Controller Coldstar leading a flock of Remoras comes to mind). It has Airborne, protecting it from common strong melee units AND hard to hit. It even comes with a Target Lock! It's one of the cheapest 'flyer' in the game. It has the nifty ability of showing up when you need it, like Tetras. No Supersonic means it's pretty agile.
- Barracuda AX-5-2. While some of its main guns got increased ranged and the railgun became a 36" heavy rail rifle, it lost much of its character. The old auto-targeting weapons became normal ones. It fires more dakka than before and has a passive 5++. Looks like it lost its Strafing Run ability.
- Tigershark AX-1-0. Ooh boy. It has TWO of Ta'unar's Rail Cannon. It has a problem of not being <Titanic> and having a Macro weapon, meaning it wouldn't be able to fire the Rail Cannon while moving. A mistake, of course. 2 of these will cost a bit more than a Ta'unar, but will do quite the job against big fellas.
- Drone Sentry Turret. It became better at its job (babysit backline objectives). Overwatch at BS5+, still cheap, 2 weapons instead of 1 twin-linked. It is <Drone>, so a good spot for a babysitting Drone Controller user!

Disliked/Neutral:
- The lack of Vehicle Systems. I'm afraid T'au will lose access to them entirely. :(
- R'myr. Nothing cool on him, really (lost 3++ on melee). And now can't even take drones!
- XV81 Commander. It's a Commander with 2 slots instead of 4, but with a locked-in SMS. Eh.
- XV9 Hazard. Got minor buffs, but still doesn't seem something I'd take... CIB Commanders fire 4 less shots than BC XV9s, but at better Strength and BS. Might be worth some tests.
- Tetras. Once one of Tau's stars, it's waning. Used to have 4 ML shots, then 2 twin-linked, now just 1 (that inflicts 3 ML at once). Comes at minimum 2 models. Lost homing beacons. In numbers, may be useful. has a nifty ability to show up when you need, allowing it to avoid enemy fire.
- Piranha TX-42. I don't understand why they nerfed it - it must fire its 2 weapons at the same target. Uh, if it at least could grab a multi-tracker... It might be an interesting platform for rail rifles.
- Heavy Gun Drones - better than they were before, but again with the unnecessary nerfs. If one of them fires a ML, they can't enjoy its benefits. Otherwise, they are W3 Gun Drones with double shooting.
- Tigershark Fighter-Bomber. The old drone-carrying Tigershark can exchange them for a S6 missile launcher. I don't see much use for it, as a Barracuda can fire as much S7 as it and is way cheaper. It's basically a two-Barracuda-in-one deal
- Orca Dropship. Interesting rules. Mostly useful to drop Flamer/Melta Crisis (can't carry any other kind of suit!) or Breachers near the enemy... I think it's cheaper to employ Homing beacon Stealth Suits. Can hover.
- Manta. I'll never have one, so I don't really bother with its rules. Seems good. It's harder to hit it now, instead of being easier in 7th.
- Remote Sensor Tower. A 3-token ML for 2 power level seems fancy. But ehh, I rather use Tetras, as the tower has only W3.
Last edited by Vector Strike on Jun 22 2017 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

TheAnarchitect
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 22 2017 10:48

I think it's probably worth comparing a Monat xv-9 with 2 fusion cascades to the 4-fusion commander. Same number of shots on average, the range doesn't matter on the initial manta strike, and it's about a stealth suit cheaper. I think the commander's higher BS might edge it out on the math-hammer wounds per point, but on first glance it looks close.

Tetras, my friend, look awesome. They come in twos, and their markerlight puts 3 tokens on the unit per hit. Use a 5 man squad of pathfinders to initially target a unit, get 2 marker tokens on it on average, and then hit it with the Tetras to immediately bump that up to 5 for the full bonus.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 22 2017 11:00

thanks for the overview team

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 23 2017 02:06

Whats the spesific description of the Macro weapons anywayz?

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 23 2017 02:19

Sounds intresting...

Considering I have Ralai and Tetras, I've slightly torn here between happy and sad I guess?

Gotta find myself where I can take a look at the slates.

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 23 2017 03:45

I think the rvarna is so so. It main weapon is only strength 6 which is not really enough given that toughness 7 plus is so prevalent . It's nova overcharge ( mortal wounds for Units within 6), whilst situational could be crazy good . Overall having read the book very tempted to buy a yvarna and the tech drones look useful .

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 23 2017 04:03

The Heavy Railgun Array was so-so in 7th, but in 8th it is terrible. The cluster rockets are a joke. Your crippling yourself if you take that gun now. If I ever this century were to get a game with my Ta'unar I wanted to take that and now it is just asking to lose.

SomeTauGuy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jun 23 2017 07:11

azlanpower wrote:Whats the spesific description of the Macro weapons anywayz?

Macro weapons cannot move and fire unless the firing unit is Titanic. They cannot fire overwatch & they do x2 damage against Titanic & Building targets. In short: they're designed for destroying big stuff.
'Cause I'm a sucker for applying math to things - http://www.grimdarkmath.com

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 23 2017 07:23

SomeTauGuy wrote:
azlanpower wrote:Whats the spesific description of the Macro weapons anywayz?

Macro weapons cannot move and fire unless the firing unit is Titanic. They cannot fire overwatch & they do x2 damage against Titanic & Building targets. In short: they're designed for destroying big stuff.

In short: they are the new D weapons because FW can't just use the system GW introduced but has to introduce more special rules instead.

I'm honestly not very happy with the introduction of Macro weapons. That just means FW will eventually release units that can take the punch of those which means those are again too much to handle for regular weapons.
The only way they could prevent it is to raise the cost for such models a lot and keep Macro weapons rare....which of course won't happen.
It also doesn't make much sense for a weapon to do twice as much damage against 'Titanic' units. Those units are meant to be more sturdy than others. Hell a Riptide is model-wise, durability-wise and cost-wise very comparable with Imperial Knights so why shouldn't it affect the Riptide as much? I'd really like to hear their fluff-explanation for that.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jun 23 2017 07:24

So the x3 markerlights things seem really good? Both tetras and sensor tower. The repair drones also look tempting but where do you find those? They're not on the site.

Also, is this stuff generally accepted for play? Looking at some non Tau units as well it seems certain forgeworld stuff gives you a definite advantage.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jun 23 2017 07:37

Maxwell wrote:Also, is this stuff generally accepted for play? Looking at some non Tau units as well it seems certain forgeworld stuff gives you a definite advantage.

That's how it used to be. Now, you'll find that many Forgeworld units are underpowered or right on the curve with other Tau units. The new HQs, the XV9, and the Tetras/Piranha are either lackluster, too expensive, or don't add anything.

The big stuff, like the Tau'nar, will obviously give you an advantage. If you bring a Tau'nar against an opponent who's not prepared to fight one, they will lose. These units are gameplay-legal, but many tournaments ban them and most regular opponents just won't fight someone running a Tau'nar just like most people wouldn't care to play against someone with a Warhound Titan or an Imperial Knight spam list. It's not that it's not legal, it's that people won't really want to play you (after the first time anyway).

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jun 23 2017 07:39

What worries me is that;
1. Can Taunar disengage from melee without penalty to shoot? It doesn't have the Fly and Walking battleship? Omg.
2. Can it fire its heavy weapon e.g. fusion eradicators without penalty of -1 to hit? Again no walking battleship but hes a titan isn't he? Gosh.

Clarification needed.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jun 23 2017 07:48

Ta'unar can fire any non-Macro weapon at enemies within 1"

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jun 23 2017 08:11

From the little I've seen so far, it's a poor Dewey case.

I expected nothing and I'm still let down.

heksagon
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jun 23 2017 08:53

I'm in love with XV9 Hazards. Unit of 3 with burst cannons will melt almost every infantry. Especially with a Manta Drop and 4 shield drones.

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jun 23 2017 09:39

Vector Strike wrote:Ta'unar can fire any non-Macro weapon at enemies within 1"

Yeah. Needs more elaboration. Does it mean
1. It can fire FTGG overwatch with non macro weapons even if its in CC with other enemy unit?
2. Does it mean it can fire non macro weapons during fight phase/subphase?

Return to “General Discussion”