8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Re: 8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#163 » Jul 07 2017 01:45

The seekers are auto-take upgrade, if you're taking the remoras, regardless if you have drone controller nearby/5ML hits or not. In the worst scenario with only 2ML, they are 6.7 8.6 points per mortal wound on remoras.

EDIT: Brainfreeze, I was thinking 1ML is reroll failed hits again.

gualtikhan
Shas

Post#164 » Jul 07 2017 05:32

I have another question, is possible that Tau FW units will be in our codex in your opinion? Or most probably they are going to stay the same for a long time? Also do you know if we will be able to take them in matched games without other rules?

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#165 » Jul 07 2017 05:39

gualtikhan wrote:I have another question, is possible that Tau FW units will be in our codex in your opinion? Or most probably they are going to stay the same for a long time? Also do you know if we will be able to take them in matched games without other rules?

GW already said no to this in the Codex announcement and the 8th edition review.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#166 » Jul 08 2017 07:40

Remoras are also able to "cloak" aka deep strike. Don't have the generic index on me but I don't recall piranhas being able to do this, nor are they airborne or supersonic, so the remora sorta has them beat on survivability. I'm a little disappointed at the cost but the models are great so they're in the cadre for me still. Either way the piranha fills a somewhat different battlefield role, it being able to loiter as well

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#167 » Jul 08 2017 07:55

Yep. Totaly forgot about that. It's the same as manta strike, but named differently so you can't use homing beacon for it.

Tarnag
Shas

Post#168 » Jul 09 2017 10:21

Has anyone been able to test R'Alai yet? He was a staple in my non-tournament lists and I'm curious as to how he's held up in practice.

Rizzle
Kor'La

Post#169 » Jul 09 2017 11:04

I've been thinking about Remora drones and their assault-blocking capabilities (vs units without Fly) a lot lately. It's a cute 'pocket combo' for the Coldstar but even inexpensive as they are the price is a little too high to set up a shell game with multiple units swapping places to maintain a strong screen.

I do think a Turn Zero/deployment screen is a valid choice against assault focused armies, though. -1 to hit is frustrating, and blocking even a single charge would be worth it. Then zip onward after that point.

[I also think it's another miscosted model. PL3 seems about right for their rules, weapons and W3/Sv4+ but in points come out comparable to PL4-5 models.]

Xanrag
Shas'La

Post#170 » Jul 09 2017 12:37

Rizzle wrote:I also think it's another miscosted model. PL3 seems about right for their rules, weapons and W3/Sv4+ but in points come out comparable to PL4-5 models.

I really really hope they address all the wonky points costs in the FAQ that is coming up, but I'm not holding my breath. The FAQ just came out for the SM/Chaos FW indexes and they felt a bit toothless.

If you play with Power Points then some of the T'Au FW stuff is really good, but the conversion to points (that all I know that are playing use) is just way off..

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#171 » Jul 09 2017 01:43

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

FW faq up.
Yet to look.

Edit:
Apperantly just chaos and IoM for now...

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#172 » Jul 09 2017 02:27

Interesting, they seem to be changing even basic characteristics like armour, invul save/wounds/points in FW eratta. We might be looking at fixing some overpriced units, not just pure rule errors.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#173 » Jul 09 2017 06:16

boomwolf wrote:https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/09/forge-world-faq-july9gw-homepage-post-4/

FW faq up.
Yet to look.

Edit:
Apperantly just chaos and IoM for now...

So excited there for a second man!

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#174 » Jul 09 2017 07:10

Tarnag wrote:Has anyone been able to test R'Alai yet? He was a staple in my non-tournament lists and I'm curious as to how he's held up in practice.

I'm going to take him out for a spin and I'll let you know. Watched a batrep on YT where dude used him to hop out behind some DA lines. Pretty good idea since he was able to snipe at some characters back there and even held his own in cc to prevent them from getting anywhere important. Definitely tanky with his ++ and T6 and no slouch in shooting either!
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#175 » Jul 09 2017 08:24

Shas'Bro wrote:
Tarnag wrote:Has anyone been able to test R'Alai yet? He was a staple in my non-tournament lists and I'm curious as to how he's held up in practice.

I'm going to take him out for a spin and I'll let you know. Watched a batrep on YT where dude used him to hop out behind some DA lines. Pretty good idea since he was able to snipe at some characters back there and even held his own in cc to prevent them from getting anywhere important. Definitely tanky with his ++ and T6 and no slouch in shooting either!

Do let us know how he works out! The T6 I'm not quite sold on, but against Lasguns and Heavy Bolters it's a welcome upgrade compared to T5.

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#176 » Jul 09 2017 11:42

Arka0415 wrote:
Shas'Bro wrote:

Do let us know how he works out! The T6 I'm not quite sold on, but against Lasguns and Heavy Bolters it's a welcome upgrade compared to T5.

The thing I'm confused about is why the other XV9s don't have T6 too since they were supposed to be tougher than XV8s. Perhaps an eMail to FW to sort it out...

I think an unorthodox method as seen by this batrep is to make him charge characters that he can live against. With his rerolls and ++ save he can actually put a wound on an enemy or at least harass them for a turn if you're confident R'alai won't get mobbed :fear:

My first game I plan on running him starting on the board in my gunline mass. He'll kick off Kauyon on my markerlights and FWs if I can fit them. Hopefully he will present a juicy target along with the gunline to draw the enemy into a solid block in the center of the board. T2 or a fortunate T1, I have my XV8/9s pop on at the flanks to break up the enemy assault and corral them into a big fire lane :evil:

That's the plan at least, but I defer to anyone who has had experience with him! Poor R'myr got the short way of the blade end of the stick. Hopefully R'alai's drones can contribute or at least soak up some wounds...
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#177 » Jul 13 2017 11:17

Rizzle wrote:I've been thinking about Remora drones and their assault-blocking capabilities (vs units without Fly) a lot lately. It's a cute 'pocket combo' for the Coldstar but even inexpensive as they are the price is a little too high to set up a shell game with multiple units swapping places to maintain a strong screen.

I do think a Turn Zero/deployment screen is a valid choice against assault focused armies, though. -1 to hit is frustrating, and blocking even a single charge would be worth it. Then zip onward after that point.

[I also think it's another miscosted model. PL3 seems about right for their rules, weapons and W3/Sv4+ but in points come out comparable to PL4-5 models.]

I'll end up seeing how miscosted they are by the end of the summer. I picked up 2 remoras recently that I still need to build up.

One advantage I missed on my first read-through was the Remora is not a supersonic flyer, but is still airborne and hard to hit, so it's survivability shouldn't be terrible. For instance, a helldrake is (oddly in thought) not an airborne unit, so it cannot CC the Remoras. Coupled these traits with it being relatively small and fitting on a regular skimmer base, it will often be taking advantage of line of sight cover.

I agree against the Piranha it's slightly difficult to justify the cost in comparison to battlefield roles, but they're also very great models :P

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#178 » Jul 13 2017 11:31

Overheal wrote:For instance, a helldrake is (oddly in thought) not an airborne unit, so it cannot CC the Remoras.

As long as you have the fly keyword you can punch other stuff in the sky.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#179 » Jul 13 2017 11:43

Yojimbob wrote:
Overheal wrote:For instance, a helldrake is (oddly in thought) not an airborne unit, so it cannot CC the Remoras.

As long as you have the fly keyword you can punch other stuff in the sky.

derp :dead: that makes much more sense

Return to “General Discussion”