8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Re: 8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#127 » Jul 02 2017 10:34

Arka0415 wrote:
If you field a Tau'nar they are viable, I think. You can hide them so far in the back they'll be out of range, and hopefully out of sight / out of mind.

LoL

I live in Australia, the chances of me even SEEING a live model ANYWHERE (outside of the internet) is in the fractions of a percentage, so i doubt that it will affect me very much...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#128 » Jul 02 2017 10:53

Lechai Skull wrote:LoL

I live in Australia, the chances of me even SEEING a live model ANYWHERE (outside of the internet) is in the fractions of a percentage, so i doubt that it will affect me very much...

Ha, same. I've never seen a Forgeworld model in Japan, but bigger things like Knights and Stormsurges are really popular. Might see a Tau'nar some day.

Back on topic though, unless you've got some really clever LOS-blocking terrain and some lucky 4+s, I doubt Technical Drones are going to be doing anything.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#129 » Jul 02 2017 11:13

Arka0415 wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:LoL

Ha, same. I've never seen a Forgeworld model in Japan, but bigger things like Knights and Stormsurges are really popular. Might see a Tau'nar some day.

Back on topic though, unless you've got some really clever LOS-blocking terrain and some lucky 4+s, I doubt Technical Drones are going to be doing anything.

Yep, shame really. Would fit in really nicely fluff wise
Every other army has characters that can do this automatically.

They could have done so many cool things with the repair idea...

Repair Drone swarm. T3 6W 4+sv Hard to hit. Roll a dice, if the number rolled is equal or lower than the number of wounds remaining, repair a battlesuit or vehicle within 3" D3 wounds.

I know wishlisting is frowned upon, but im just using this as an example of how easy it is to bring out new useful units, rather than overpriced and even marginally situational alternatives.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#130 » Jul 02 2017 11:24

Lechai Skull wrote:Yep, shame really. Would fit in really nicely fluff wise
Every other army has characters that can do this automatically.

They could have done so many cool things with the repair idea...

Repair Drone swarm. T3 6W 4+sv Hard to hit. Roll a dice, if the number rolled is equal or lower than the number of wounds remaining, repair a battlesuit or vehicle within 3" D3 wounds.

I know wishlisting is frowned upon, but im just using this as an example of how easy it is to bring out new useful units, rather than overpriced and even marginally situational alternatives.

Having poor ability to repair is just another reason that the competitive shooting will be AdMech, not Tau. We might be faster than AdMech and have better deep strike, but we have nothing on Dunecrawlers, Kastellan Robots, and their ability to repair vehicles.

Of course there's also the fact that they can take literally any other Imperial unit too.

I know this is the wrong thread for that though. Anyway, I think we need to look elsewhere for our real specialty now. We get out-shot by Imperial armies now, so I think synergistic gunlines, alpha strikes, good morale, and effective fall-back moves are what we should focus on. If you want blistering shooting, durable units, and repair abilities, AdMech is the army for you.

DVeight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#131 » Jul 02 2017 11:48

Can anyone weigh in regarding the technical drones and the ability "multi function surveyor". is it possible to have more than one unit of these drones on the field, each one popping its ability and using the repair protocol?

or would it be that only one protocol can be used in the phase, no matter how many units of these drones you have?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#132 » Jul 02 2017 11:53

it says once per phase per unit.

If it was only once for the entire phase, then adding the term 'per unit' is redundant.

So yes, multiple units could also attempt to repair.

DVeight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#133 » Jul 03 2017 12:14

Cool. I will go with that. :)

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#134 » Jul 03 2017 11:50

I will be picking up several. Considering that they can heal ANY battlesuit from stealth (yeah not likely with 2 wounds) all the way up to the Supremacy Armor...Which I have (Thank you Tau Empire for your 'gift' to the farsight enclaves!)... It makes them effectively essential since my playstyle is 'the only thing I want on my table are battlesuits.

The ability to mitigate the auto-mortal wound mechanic of the Nova Reactor and their small, easily hidden profile makes them great for keeping your big boys alive.

Also, that surveyor protocol is giving you, effectively, a free markerlight effect.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#135 » Jul 04 2017 12:46

Well they don't make technical drones anymore...
Good Luck

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#136 » Jul 04 2017 09:43

I will aquire them the same way the Farsight enclaves gets all of their wargear.

Ebay.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#137 » Jul 04 2017 05:23

Lechai Skull wrote:Well they don't make technical drones anymore...
Good Luck

Easy conversion, it's just a drone with some multi-tracker gizmos to be glued on the bottom. ;)

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#138 » Jul 04 2017 05:26

R.D. wrote:
Good Luck

Easy conversion, it's just a drone with some multi-tracker gizmos to be glued on the bottom. ;)

And it will look better than the original!

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#139 » Jul 04 2017 05:36

Gragagrogog wrote:
R.D. wrote:
Good Luck

And it will look better than the original!

You could even use all those worthless shield drones you were hanging onto, dontcha know?!

:D :P :::(
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#140 » Jul 04 2017 06:00

Well, to be fair. The original bottom part of Tech Drone looks ok. I just don't like the top. Worst drone 'dome' yet produced.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#141 » Jul 05 2017 09:00

Bad news, folks.
A guy from one of T'au FB communities asked FW on some models of our line.

Yesterday I've sent an email to forgeworld asking for some of our miniatures
Hi i just want to know if tactical drones, heavy gun drones and orca transport are gonna have a redisign or not.
This was their answer

"Hi,
Thank you for your email. All the kits you inquired about have been discontinued and were removed from our web store once the last of the stock of them had been sold off. These kits are not being re-designed and will not be returning. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused."

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#142 » Jul 05 2017 09:25

Well, a few years ago I would agree that it would be bad news, but today there are many options how to get unofficial proper Tau-looking models on the table. With 3D printing and/or recasting of those 3D prints, you can produce some good looking models somewhat easily and cheaply, the drones for example shouldn't take more than a few hours to redesign. And them not selling a model for something kinda gives you the excuse to do it :D

gualtikhan
Shas

Post#143 » Jul 06 2017 03:31

Can anyone talk me about the R'varna? How it is now?

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#144 » Jul 06 2017 09:46

gualtikhan wrote:Can anyone talk me about the R'varna? How it is now?

It fires 3D3 S6 AP-2 D3 attacks per arm; can only take ATS and SI as support systems, as 2 shielded missile drones
It's more expensive than a Y'vahra (even being 1 less power point). The old haywire nova now does mortal wounds, the nova for firing twice now lets it re-roll the 3D3 and lost the 2d6 run nova (kept the 3++ option). 8" move, T8, 15W, Ld8.

The rest is as it was. being a battlesuit, can tank wounds on nearby drones and be repaired by technical drones, as enjoy ethereal aura

Return to “General Discussion”