8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#91 » Jun 28 2017 06:18

boomwolf wrote:Except we have the first "new IA" book coming up already known as Tau vs Admech (fires of cyrax? something along those lines)
So, we are getting our FW updated really soon.
Hopefully not too soon, so they'll actually fix the lousy index.

Oh man, I hadn't heard! Very exciting. Maybe we'll see some solid changes to the rules.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#92 » Jun 29 2017 08:22

fresh answer from FW about the hammerhead variants (question wasn't mine):

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#93 » Jun 29 2017 08:26

That's even more ridiculous. FW really didn't do themselves a favor by rushing the Index. :D

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#94 » Jun 29 2017 08:27

Do GW actually do ANY quality control/public testing before releasing stuff?

It seems like they just throw it all together and cross their fingers?

Peregrim
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#95 » Jun 29 2017 08:34

If you want another example of silliness -- in the appendix there are two identical weapons listed: the heavy rail cannon and the heavy railgun. The heavy railgun isn't an option for anything. They just couldn't decide what they wanted to name it, and left both in there.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#96 » Jun 29 2017 08:35

Lechai Skull wrote:Do GW actually do ANY quality control/public testing before releasing stuff?

It seems like they just throw it all together and cross their fingers?

It's FW, not GW.
I assume GW gave them the informations how the Indices and 8th as a whole are supposed to look like way too late and FW decided to rush things instead of taking their time and release it after 8th launch.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#97 » Jun 29 2017 08:43

After doing some math, I've come to this conclusion:

- Fire Support HH with Twin HBC and 2x SMS costs 25% less than a similar-equipped Riptide, fires 33% more S6 AP-1 shots and has BS3+, but has less durability (worse armour, no invul and no drones) and no ATS. Worth it?

- Heavy Bombardment HH with 2x HYMP and 2x SMS costs 18% more than a similar-equipped Broadside, worse armour and no access to ATS/drones, but has double wounds and BS3+. Worth it?

It's still up in the air if Longstrike can buff both variants...

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#98 » Jun 29 2017 08:46

Vector Strike wrote:After doing some math, I've come to this conclusion:

- Fire Support HH with Twin HBC and 2x SMS costs 25% less than a similar-equipped Riptide, fires 33% more S6 AP-1 shots and has BS3+, but has less durability (worse armour, no invul and no drones) and no ATS. Worth it?

- Heavy Bombardment HH with 2x HYMP and 2x SMS costs 18% more than a similar-equipped Broadside, worse armour and no access to ATS/drones, but has double wounds and BS3+. Worth it?

It's still up in the air if Longstrike can buff both variants...

Considering that both HH variants can get buffed by Longstrike (I think?)...yeah I'd at least try it a few times.

TheAnarchitect
Shas'Saal

Post#99 » Jun 29 2017 09:42

So I was looking more closely at the Orca Dropship, as I fully intend to field a "Whale of Wrath" force.

It notes that it can transport Infantry and Drone Models, and specifically XV8 Battlesuits. It does NOT have the language that the devilfish has stating it cannot transport battlesuits.

Stealthsuits have both the infantry and the battlesuit keywords. They cannot be transported in a Devilfish because the Devilfish says "no battlesuits." Since the Orca says "can transport infantry" and doesn't say "no battlesuits", It looks to me like you can put stealth suits in an Orca.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#100 » Jun 29 2017 10:26

TheAnarchitect wrote:So I was looking more closely at the Orca Dropship, as I fully intend to field a "Whale of Wrath" force.

It notes that it can transport Infantry and Drone Models, and specifically XV8 Battlesuits. It does NOT have the language that the devilfish has stating it cannot transport battlesuits.

Stealthsuits have both the infantry and the battlesuit keywords. They cannot be transported in a Devilfish because the Devilfish says "no battlesuits." Since the Orca says "can transport infantry" and doesn't say "no battlesuits", It looks to me like you can put stealth suits in an Orca.

An Orca clocks at a bit more of 370p. It can carry 65 infantry models, and as only XV8s take double space, you'd be able to carry 21 MSU Stealth Suits units, or 10 full sized ones (not counting drones).

Now, its text has an interesting conundrum. It says '(...) can transport up to 65 T'au Empire infantry units, including drones (...)'; does it say it may transport only infantry and their drones or infantry and drones? The latter would let Orcas transport stuff like Remoras (lol). Sadly, not Sensor Towers and Sentry Turrets, as they're immobile and wouldn't be able to leave the Orca

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#101 » Jun 29 2017 10:56

TheAnarchitect wrote:So I was looking more closely at the Orca Dropship, as I fully intend to field a "Whale of Wrath" force.

I am planning to call mine an Orca Pod. But yeah, totally looking to do the same.

:eek: 56 Remoras. 5 Cadre Fireblades. 1 Orca.

5 Markerlights. 456 36" pulse shots. 112 Seekers. 3 Detachments (Flyer, Flyer, Supreme Command). 1 Drop.

192 PL and 5959 points.... I totally want to try it, just for giggles.
Last edited by QimRas on Jun 29 2017 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Peregrim
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#102 » Jun 29 2017 12:05

You can fit an entire battalion in an Orca.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#103 » Jun 29 2017 12:52

QimRas wrote:

I am planning to call mine an Orca Pod. But yeah, totally looking to do the same.

5 Markerlights. 456 36" pulse shots. 112 Seekers. 3 Detachments (Flyer, Flyer, Supreme Command). 1 Drop.

I want to call you out on it, but then I see nothing stops you from having an orca ransport remoras.

Actually, legally nothing stops you from fielding remoras inside devilfish either XD
not much reason, given how much faster the remoras are to begin with, but its amusing to know.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#104 » Jun 29 2017 01:06

boomwolf wrote:
QimRas wrote:

I want to call you out on it, but then I see nothing stops you from having an orca ransport remoras.

Actually, legally nothing stops you from fielding remoras inside devilfish either XD
not much reason, given how much faster the remoras are to begin with, but its amusing to know.

Yeah, I can't think of a single tactical reason to do it other than for first turn.

TheAnarchitect
Shas'Saal

Post#105 » Jun 29 2017 01:32

OK, so the Remora's being able to be carried by Devilfish is clearly silly and a rules oversight. Heavy drones too.

Do you think Stealth suits in the Orca is similarly silly/unintended? I don't see why you shouldn't be able carry them on that internal rail that carries the crisis suits. It doesn't violate my suspension of disbelief in the same way. And I'd love to deliver a strike force of drones and stealth suit squads.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#106 » Jun 29 2017 02:51

Maybe? Didn't the Taros fluff have an Orca dropping in with some stealth suits? And I think the original rules for the Orca (way back in 3rd) counted stealth suits amongst 'tau warriors' which counted for one space.

All in all, I think the Orca being able to transport stealth suits is legit. Now to find an Orca...

Cheers!

Xanrag
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#107 » Jun 29 2017 05:12

Vector Strike wrote:fresh answer from FW about the hammerhead variants (question wasn't mine)

The main question then becomes.. how many more point values did they make that error with? If everything then some stuff becomes really useful, and even Heavy Gun Drones become viable. XV9 might even become overpowered, since they are borderline useful as is.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#108 » Jun 29 2017 05:15

Vector Strike wrote:fresh answer from FW about the hammerhead variants (question wasn't mine):

Just decided to check and noticed something funny.

Considering the cost listed as if it has weapons? does not compute.

As if, take base hammerhead, add the weapon cost of these weapons-and the results would not be the same as the variant cost listed anyway.

Return to “General Discussion”