8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#109 » Jun 29 2017 11:15

Bad FW rules Writing? In MY index?
It's more likely than you think!

---

Did some math with the Tiger Shark Fighter-Bomber. A simple mathhammer (no invuls, 'FnP', MWs on 6 or re-rolls) told me that HBC version is better than all others vs W1, still good against W2 (the IC gets the lead on T5 and T6 ranges, but by very little; SST is a bit better vs T4 and much better at T7+), but the SSR is better than all of them at W3+ (it's almost as twice as better vs T8 Sv2+). The SSR version will kill 1 dreadnought per turn; with 1 ML, it will kill a Devilfish in 1 turn - or half a Land Raider!
I've exchanged the drones for 2x skyspear missile rack in this test.

Of course, the SSR version comes out at 515p... The others are pratically 100p cheaper. For +70p you can get the AX-1-0... each turn it does more damage than an entire SSR Fighter-Bomber vs a T8 2+ (no MLs involved), in average.

The HBC Fighter-Bomber is even better than 2x HBC Fire Support Hammerheads, spewing out more firepower for 20ish points more (albeit with 10 less wounds and forced to move)

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#110 » Jul 02 2017 07:57

I just made an interesting little find. Devilfish may carry 12 <Sept> Infantry or Drones, excluding Battlesuits. The Orca can carry 65 T'au Empire Infantry or Drones. This means not only can the Orca carry Stealth Suits, but it can also carry Kroot Carnivores, Shapers, and Vespids. Both a Devilfish and Orca can technically carry Drone Sentry Turrets, though that begs the question of if disembarking counts as a move, especially considering you can move normally after disembarking.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#111 » Jul 02 2017 09:17

QimRas wrote:I just made an interesting little find. Devilfish may carry 12 <Sept> Infantry or Drones, excluding Battlesuits. The Orca can carry 65 T'au Empire Infantry or Drones. This means not only can the Orca carry Stealth Suits, but it can also carry Kroot Carnivores, Shapers, and Vespids. Both a Devilfish and Orca can technically carry Drone Sentry Turrets, though that begs the question of if disembarking counts as a move, especially considering you can move normally after disembarking.

the turrets are Immobile, thought. They wouldn't be able to be deployed inside a transport because they wouldn't be able to leave it!

Sonnenkoenig
Shas

Post#112 » Jul 02 2017 10:25

@Vector Strike: I´ve also heavily thought about the Tiger Shark Fighter Bomber. For its points it looks (almost) better than a Stormsurge:
BS 2+, T8, 3+ Save, W16, Flyer that cannot be charged by ground troops , -1 to hit. If you equip it with the following loadout:
-2x HBC
-2x Skyspear Missile Rack
-6x Seeker Missile
-2 Burst Cannons
-2 Missile Pods,
it will be around 40 Points cheaper than a Stormsurge and put out plenty of firepower ( 16 shots HBC, 2d6 Skyspear Missiles, 8 shots Burst, 4 shots Missile Pods + 6 Seekers once) reliably every turn. Looks like a very interesting alternative to me. Does anyone know when FW will release this model?

The Fire Support Hammerheads (equipped with 2 HBCs and 2 SMS) would spit out 24 shots each round while being a lot cheaper than the TSFB (and still around 25% cheaper than a Bursttide). Considering that, if the TSFB moves, it will suffer a -1BS modifier for its heavy weapons, it technically has the same BS as a FSHH that doesn´t move. Same here: I´d love to see the turret with its double HBC-anyone got any pics or knows when FW will release it?

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#113 » Jul 02 2017 10:29

Sonnenkoenig wrote:
The Fire Support Hammerheads (equipped with 2 HBCs and 2 SMS) would spit out 24 shots each round while being a lot cheaper than the TSFB (and still around 25% cheaper than a Bursttide). Considering that, if the TSFB moves, it will suffer a -1BS modifier for its heavy weapons, it technically has the same BS as a FSHH that doesn´t move.

But you have to compare 2 FSHH to 1 TSFB. They will be closer in cost

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#114 » Jul 02 2017 01:33

So... Who is getting a squad of DX4 Technical Drones now that their rules have been released, and 90% of our army list has the 'battlesuit' keyword?

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#115 » Jul 02 2017 02:22

Vector Strike wrote:
QimRas wrote:I just made an interesting little find. Devilfish may carry 12 <Sept> Infantry or Drones, excluding Battlesuits. The Orca can carry 65 T'au Empire Infantry or Drones. This means not only can the Orca carry Stealth Suits, but it can also carry Kroot Carnivores, Shapers, and Vespids. Both a Devilfish and Orca can technically carry Drone Sentry Turrets, though that begs the question of if disembarking counts as a move, especially considering you can move normally after disembarking.

the turrets are Immobile, thought. They wouldn't be able to be deployed inside a transport because they wouldn't be able to leave it!

Just read the rule again. Disembarking counts as moving, so that kills that. Could make an argument that you can disembark and take a wound, but yeah. Would be funny if they are in there, enemy pops the fish and 12 turrets fall out.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#116 » Jul 02 2017 03:04

QimRas wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:

Just read the rule again. Disembarking counts as moving, so that kills that. Could make an argument that you can disembark and take a wound, but yeah. Would be funny if they are in there, enemy pops the fish and 12 turrets fall out.

Sorry, but noone will eat that. Immobile means immobile. Disembarking doesn't force something to become immobile, so it won't take a wound because it already was Immobile. You can't disembark because you can't even move!

Drone Sentry Turrets could have a special ability saying something like this:
"Advanced Field Placing: Drone Sentry Turret units can start the game embarked in an Orca Dropship as any other unit Orca Dropships can normally carry. When you want to disembark the Drone Sentry Turret unit, it follows all rules of disembarking - except its models must be placed within 3" of the Orca Dropship base and in coherency."

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#117 » Jul 02 2017 03:30

I guess the R'varna is a non-flying riptide...but shouldn't it be able to fall back and still shoot via special rule?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#118 » Jul 02 2017 06:51

Grogalmighty wrote:So... Who is getting a squad of DX4 Technical Drones now that their rules have been released, and 90% of our army list has the 'battlesuit' keyword?

They're interesting. Each squad can only heal one wound per turn, so it doesn't matter how many you take. Of course though, taking bigger squads means they take more wounds to kill.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#119 » Jul 02 2017 07:35

Arka0415 wrote:
Grogalmighty wrote:So... Who is getting a squad of DX4 Technical Drones now that their rules have been released, and 90% of our army list has the 'battlesuit' keyword?

They're interesting. Each squad can only heal one wound per turn, so it doesn't matter how many you take. Of course though, taking bigger squads means they take more wounds to kill.

I looked at the technical drones and then instantly dismissed them.

As fragile as gun drones
twice as expensive as regular drones
targetable (every other repair unit in the game is a 'character')
only 50% chance of actually healing anything 1/turn

The only unit that would benefit is the stormsurge, but its NOT a battlesuit, when clearly it should be... sigh

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#120 » Jul 02 2017 07:42

Well, I guess the riptide (and variants) can benefit from repair drones.
Had you actually took one, and managed to protect the repair drones somhow.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#121 » Jul 02 2017 07:53

boomwolf wrote:Well, I guess the riptide (and variants) can benefit from repair drones.
Had you actually took one, and managed to protect the repair drones somhow.

you could pop a riptide with ION and SMS next to terrain and put the repair drones behind the terrain out of LOS.
That's about the only useful combo i can see.

Why couldn't they just make heavy gun drones and technical drones purchasable under the tactical drones list?????

That would actually INCREASE sales of the model! Fools

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#122 » Jul 02 2017 08:01

That's...actually a really good idea.

If you could take them as unit's drones they'll be far more appealing.

What's the best way to communicate it to FW?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#123 » Jul 02 2017 08:05

boomwolf wrote:That's...actually a really good idea.

I have no idea...
There may be people here who can though.

DVeight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#124 » Jul 02 2017 08:26

Lechai Skull wrote:
boomwolf wrote:That's...actually a really good idea.

I have no idea...
There may be people here who can though.

Try this email address;

forgeworld@gwplc.com

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#125 » Jul 02 2017 08:40

DVeight wrote:Try this email address;

forgeworld@gwplc.com

Thanks DVeight
suggestion sent.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#126 » Jul 02 2017 09:42

Lechai Skull wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

I looked at the technical drones and then instantly dismissed them.

As fragile as gun drones
twice as expensive as regular drones
targetable (every other repair unit in the game is a 'character')
only 50% chance of actually healing anything 1/turn

The only unit that would benefit is the stormsurge, but its NOT a battlesuit, when clearly it should be... sigh

If you field a Tau'nar they are viable, I think. You can hide them so far in the back they'll be out of range, and hopefully out of sight / out of mind.

Return to “General Discussion”