8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 8th Ed FORGEWORLD Tau

Post#181 » Aug 11 2017 11:29

Ye... I'm thinking it might be worth it to not fill the 65 spots entirely..., going with something like ~35 models, you pay about the same points for it as you would for 3 DF, roughly the same shooting power, but with 55"+25" movement+avance instead of 12"+D6". Being less juicy target lowers the chance of the opponent focussing on it entirely and it also lowers the consequences of losing it even then. Also having 60+ models disembark might be hard to utilise them properly anyway...

EDIT: And it has 14 wounds, not 13 :D
Last edited by Gragagrogog on Aug 11 2017 11:48, edited 3 times in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#182 » Aug 11 2017 11:31

ColoradoBC wrote:I have always wanted to use my orca but I can't really fathom the points cost for function. With W13 it is easily knocked out of the sky with one turn. When most games I play are 15-2500 points it's too many points to go down with all my troops in it. Unless I'm missing some major tactical advantage it's best used in apoc games. Turn one jump off the board and come in later under reserves.

Sadly, the Orca really isn't all that powerful in 8th Editon. Due to the "backwards" disembarkation rules, the many units inside basically lose a turn of shooting while being exposed to the very-real risk of being shot out of the sky. Also, the Orca's pitiful firepower means that it can barely add any benefit to the army besides its transport capacity.

Save it for narrative games, I guess. :?

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#183 » Aug 14 2017 11:43

+++MB3 ping request received+++
+++Ping sent to MB3.34567.AX87H+++
+++Recon Drone uplink established!+++
+++Receiving File...+++

Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Post#184 » Aug 16 2017 07:15

Sup mah dudes.

So I got more time in with my rippy Sentai squad which includes 3 rips, a rvarna and a yrahva commanded by ralai. Two tetras.

The drones are pretty much all SMD and dx 4.

Some overviews.

R'Varna: better and worse. You have to plant him where he can shoot and gets cover. When he does shoot he causes one hell of a mess. I strongly suggest him so long as you have tetras to support and dx 4s.

Y'Rahva
A beast. He is insanely dead killy but is a bullet sponge. His escape thrust move is vital to keeping him alive... Just use him tactically or he will die. Dx drones are a must to repair the damage he sustains.

Tetras. Better then ever. High intensity marker lights are what really matter in life and they are dirt cheap with deep strike.

Ralai.
Less effective then before since he lacks a swarm killer option. Decent for sniping command units. Hard to kill which makes him great.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#185 » Aug 16 2017 10:17

It seems XV9's are slowly getting sold out at FW. This has happened with all the other models that have been recast (except Kroot) so perhaps we'll see update XV9? I love the model but it was really showing its age. Hopefully this is the case.

Return to “General Discussion”