Equiping Ghostkeel

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
O'Kreoss
Shas

Equiping Ghostkeel

Post#1 » Jun 23 2017 02:16

I've ordered a Ghostkeel battlesuit but I have no idea what to equip him with. How do you guys equip your Ghostkeel? Do you use the Cyclic Ion Raker or the Fusion Collider? Also, what secondary weapons is efficient on him?

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Re: Equiping Ghostkeel

Post#2 » Jun 23 2017 02:24

Sorry for your loss :<

Sheeb
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 23 2017 02:31

Easy. To kill armour. Fusion Collider with 2 Fusion Blasters, with a target lock & Shield Generator. It's durable, it packs a punch and it's great for killing armour.

If you want to kill infantry I would take Strike/Breacher Teams. But, if you had to take a Ghostkeel CIR with BC, TL and either ATS/MT/Shield Generator.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 23 2017 02:32

O'Kreoss wrote:I've ordered a Ghostkeel battlesuit but I have no idea what to equip him with. How do you guys equip your Ghostkeel? Do you use the Cyclic Ion Raker or the Fusion Collider? Also, what secondary weapons is efficient on him?

Magnetize him. Seriously. Him and Crisis and Commander and Riptides and Broadsides. Thank me later. ;)

Now back to topic. So far I think the Fusion Blaster secondary weapons are without a doubt the best choice so that's that. The main weapon is a tricky one.
The Fusion Collider is basically just another two Fusion Blaster but heavy so you hit only on 5s after moving unless you spammed the target with Markerlights or gave him a Target Lock.
The Cyclic Ion Raker is good. Period. S7 spam always works decently. Just don't overcharge it. Getting 1d6 shots instead of 6 shots is rarely worth it even with the improved strength and damage. Anyway it's a heavy weapon as well so you'd need lots of Markerlights or a Target Lock here again.

I personally like my Ghostkeel to operate rather independent from the rest of the army so unless I focus a specific target with multiple units I don't want to shoot Markerlights at his target. Which makes the Target Lock an auto-include for me.

That leaves us with one more free slot for the Support System. This one depends heavily on the Ghostkeels purpose and the weapon you've equipped.

With a CIR the Advanced Targeting System is a recommended choice so you improve the AP-1 to AP-2. Since Support Systems also affect the secondary weapons, the Burst Cannons become a more interesting choice now since they get AP-1.
Fusion Blaster don't need any more AP and Flamer are very situational. You normally don't want an enemy this close since that would mean you can't benefit from its stealth system.

With the Fusion Collider you have a bit more freedom since ATS wouldn't be needed.
EWO is an interesting choice.
Shield Generator and Stimulant Injector are nice as well so the enemy has an even harder time to kill it even if he gets close.
Multi-tracker gives you the first bonus of a Markerlighted target, however it's so easy to get it with random Markerlights that I wouldn't recommend it.

So far my favorite loadouts are:
CIR/2FB + TL/ATS(kind of wasted on the FB but better than not having it on CIR)
CIR/2BC + TL/ATS as pure Dakkakeel.
FC/2FB + TL/Shield Gen as big game hunter.
FC/2Flamer + TL/EWO still need to try this one but it does sound interesting to play with. The enemy basically just has a 4" zone where he neither is in Flamer range, suffering the stealth field modifier.

SergeantHammer
Shas

Post#5 » Jun 23 2017 02:41

My preferred load out is an ion raker, burst cannon, and advanced targeting system.

If I have the points, I'll splurge on a shield generator.
Haven't played too many games this edition, but this offers a good volume of shots that stand a decent chance of putting wounds through even tough 2+ save units. If there's a shield generator you can really harass the enemy into shooting you, especially tempting them to over charge their plasma, that -2 to hit tends to hurt them more than me.

O'Kreoss
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 23 2017 02:44

Thanks for the advice! I do plan to magnetize for sure! And thanks for the advice on how to equip him. I do like the idea of giving him the CiR and adding a fusion blaster to make him good at anything him might come against (since he will be flanking on his own). The DakkaKeel seems very tempting but since S5 weapons are almost everywhere, I might go with the Fusion Blaster if I use the CiR.

The Fusion collider seems good but I'm not sold on the D3 shots. I don't like the idea that it has the potential to be just a regular Fusion Blaster (and its expensive!). Although a FusionKeel seems very threatening due to the amount of S8, D6 damage is may be carrying. And I heard that Fusion is pretty big in 8th.

O'rioles
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 23 2017 03:16

I've seen few units in 8th divide the community like the Ghostkeel. I've seen lots of posts claiming it's one of the things that's made the transition better than other units, and others where they claim it took the nerf bat like the Riptide.

I like the idea of running it with a CIB, Burst Cannons, Target Lock, and ATS. However, I've yet to really test one on the field.

I've been having much the same dilemma about how to equip a new Ghostkeel. Sorry to say Panzer, I won't be magnetizing. I know it adds utility but I just hate handling magnetized units.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 23 2017 07:25

O'rioles wrote: Sorry to say Panzer, I won't be magnetizing. I know it adds utility but I just hate handling magnetized units.

Don't apologize to me. Apologize to your future self. :D

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jun 23 2017 07:46

Panzer wrote:
O'rioles wrote: Sorry to say Panzer, I won't be magnetizing. I know it adds utility but I just hate handling magnetized units.

T'au suits should come with proper magnets! They're the most important piece of wargear for them :biggrin:

O'rioles
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 23 2017 09:20

Vector Strike wrote:
Panzer wrote:

T'au suits should come with proper magnets! They're the most important piece of wargear for them :biggrin:

Best part of the Ta'Unar kit. It's designed for magnets! Well... Except the rear gun could use some help with that.

You_Father_Sky
Shas

Post#11 » Jun 23 2017 10:42

Haha, I noticed that when I was putting mine together but I REALLY didn't feel like I'd be swapping the main weapon (HRC), let alone the Tri-Axis Ions, so I just fixed them on. I can't see myself ever wanting to use the Fusion Eradicator, mind you, it does look absolutely amazing.

As for Ghostkeel, I'd definitely say Fusion/Fusion with TL, I use a drone controller, but that's strictly because of my list build.
"For the glory of Kauyon, of course!"

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jun 24 2017 06:47

You_Father_Sky wrote:Haha, I noticed that when I was putting mine together but I REALLY didn't feel like I'd be swapping the main weapon (HRC), let alone the Tri-Axis Ions, so I just fixed them on. I can't see myself ever wanting to use the Fusion Eradicator, mind you, it does look absolutely amazing.

As for Ghostkeel, I'd definitely say Fusion/Fusion with TL, I use a drone controller, but that's strictly because of my list build.

It's funny that you recommend Ghostkeel with Fusion Collider in the same post where you state that you can't imagine yourself ever wanting the Fusion Eradicator because that was exact the same thinking back in 7th with the Ghostkeel and look now, both are valid options for him. ;)

You_Father_Sky
Shas

Post#13 » Jun 24 2017 11:29

Panzer wrote:
You_Father_Sky wrote:Haha, I noticed that when I was putting mine together but I REALLY didn't feel like I'd be swapping the main weapon (HRC), let alone the Tri-Axis Ions, so I just fixed them on. I can't see myself ever wanting to use the Fusion Eradicator, mind you, it does look absolutely amazing.

It's funny that you recommend Ghostkeel with Fusion Collider in the same post where you state that you can't imagine yourself ever wanting the Fusion Eradicator because that was exact the same thinking back in 7th with the Ghostkeel and look now, both are valid options for him. ;)

Hahaha, the reason for that is I run my Ghostkeels in a list (In Battle Report section, 1500 Special Ops vs Nids) where it's designed to be extremely aggressive and closing distance on the enemy. Now that the blast has been removed, the Collider is excellent at shooting vehicles/creatures and supporting anything else.

On my Ta'unar however, it's kitted out with my heavy rail cannon, and is supposed to support from a distance, taking out/softening targets that my main force is moving to engage. For that purpose I like the slew of shots on the Tri Axis Ion, it's also much stronger than the Cyclic Ion Raker so it doesn't suffer from the same set backs in str and ap value. I would find it an odd thing to have to move my titan with a 120" range str 18 ap -5 weapon to within 12" to gain the 2D6 damage for the eradicators, which is a secondary weapon.
"For the glory of Kauyon, of course!"

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jun 24 2017 07:45

You_Father_Sky wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Hahaha, the reason for that is I run my Ghostkeels in a list (In Battle Report section, 1500 Special Ops vs Nids) where it's designed to be extremely aggressive and closing distance on the enemy. Now that the blast has been removed, the Collider is excellent at shooting vehicles/creatures and supporting anything else.

Yeah but my point was that things can change. For now you might not think about using the other weapon, but who knows how it'll be in the future. ^^

Lysenis
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jun 25 2017 10:55

I magnetized mine but I have a little tune that runs through my head every time I think of the Ghostkeel.

"Fusionkeel, Fusionkeel does whatever a Fusionkeel does. You have Armor, now you don't. FUSIONNNNNNNNNKEEL"

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Jun 25 2017 11:08

Panzer wrote:Yeah but my point was that things can change. For now you might not think about using the other weapon, but who knows how it'll be in the future. ^^

For OP, It's not just that things can change, it's that things do change. The whole cycle of nerfs and buffs is to keep you buying new kits (that's something we'd do anyway though, haha). The guns that are good today will be bad tomorrow and the wheel will keep turning. Magnetizing helps so much here.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jun 26 2017 01:00

Arka0415 wrote:The whole cycle of nerfs and buffs is to keep you buying new kits

I know that's how many people like to think, because it's apparently fun to always expect companies to screw with their customer, however if that were true then there wouldn't be units that were bad for pretty much their whole life and things like the Tyranid Codex that got worse and worse with every new version thanks to Cruddace shouldn't exist either since nerfing already bad units surely won't raise sales. ;)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Jun 26 2017 01:08

Panzer wrote:I know that's how many people like to think, because it's apparently fun to always expect companies to screw with their customer, however if that were true then there wouldn't be units that were bad for pretty much their whole life and things like the Tyranid Codex that got worse and worse with every new version thanks to Cruddace shouldn't exist either since nerfing already bad units surely won't raise sales. ;)

Remember there is a disconnect between the intent of the policy and it's execution.

Games Workshop needs to keep selling models, that's where the bulk of their revenue comes from. So slowly modulating the power of units is a good way to keep competitive players and powergamers buying models- it's just economics. It's not a bad thing at all in my opinion, it keeps GW profitable (without that we'd all be out of luck) and it keeps the meta from stagnating. Both are good benefits.

However, this has been badly executed many, many times. Tyranids and Orks are great examples, while internal power levels fluctuated a bit they remained lackluster and weak. These weren't targeted nerfs, designed to make Tyranid players switch armies or anything, but rather the effects of poor balancing, incompetent writing, and lack of imagination. I'm sure that Cruddace and the other Tyranid writers thought they were adding new life to the codex with each update, but their changes were totally out-of-touch with how the game was played. We also see examples of codex releases that added too much new life to armies, such as the big Necron revamp many years ago.

Return to “General Discussion”