Power to Points conversion for new FW updates

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Raikoh067
Shas'La

Power to Points conversion for new FW updates

Post#1 » Jun 23 2017 05:58

I've noticed a pretty big difference in the conversion between power and points with most of the units in the new FW update being consistently way off. If I remember correctly, ATT is very strict with listing any points costs (and I'm assuming that rule applies to power now as well??), so I'll try to avoid that.

To start, the power conversion is usually 1 power=18-22 points. This is more often the case with units that don't have much variability, or wargear options. It usually is in the range of 17-23, and sometimes falls outside of that even more, but rarely. Again, this mostly applies to units that don't have much variability. At the very least, some combination of their available wargear will get them close to that 1=20 sweet spot. I have gone through a lot of armies crunching these numbers, and I have found that is usually the case. Coincidentally though, the Tau Index is one of the most widely varying ones in the game, with some cases where the power conversion is far cheaper than even the cheapest wargear loadout. It's very odd.

This last fact rings true with the FW index update.

Take the Orca for example. It has the same power as two Devilfish, which would mean its points should be around 265-295. But its waaay more than that when put into points-based matched play. It would need to be Power 19 in order to be similar to ts points cost.

Another one is the Bombardment Gunship (a Hammerhead that comes loaded with two HYMP). Same power level as a hammerhead gunship, but costs over 66% in points.

These example are common across both the FW index and the GW index, and it makes me want to play power level games more often than points. Again, this difference in power to points is not nearly as drastic with most units in other armies. A power level Tau army is much larger than a points Tau army, when the facting they are facing would be roughly the same in either system...

Xanrag
Shas'La

Re: Power to Points conversion for new FW updates

Post#2 » Jun 23 2017 06:04

It feels to me like they screwed up in the Forgeworld book and that the points cost is including the standard layout or something.

The TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead for example has identical stats as the regular Hammerhead in the regular book and the same power value, however in points the TX7 without weapons in the FW book costs as much as a fully loaded TX7 with weapons in the regular book. That just doesn't make sense.

Raikoh067
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 24 2017 04:49

Xanrag wrote:It feels to me like they screwed up in the Forgeworld book and that the points cost is including the standard layout or something.

The TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead for example has identical stats as the regular Hammerhead in the regular book and the same power value, however in points the TX7 without weapons in the FW book costs as much as a fully loaded TX7 with weapons in the regular book. That just doesn't make sense.

Exactly my point. Something seems wrong. I'll talk to my local players about it, and see what they think, because I'm pretty sure there is something going on here.

Xanrag
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 15 2017 04:46

In the latest FAQ they admitted the error with the Hammerheads, however doesn't everything else also feel expensive?

Does anyone know of a Power Level -> Points conversion list for everything? (I.e. Powerlevel, Points Min, Points Max)

Sunaj
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 16 2017 11:20

XV-8 stock list hovers around 150 points for 11 power (team A).
I can get that to north of 350 points, on the same size team, for 11 power as well (team B).
Team A has a pts to power (ptp) ratio of 13.63 -1
Team B has a ptp ratio of 32.18-1
Point difference is 236%
Power games is good for FE Tau (pun indented)

It's not a FW issue, its an issue with the starter core list building mechanics.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 16 2017 12:40

Remoras are a good example of this. One costs 3 PL, but in points its almost 80. It should be closer to 60 (which is more or less its base price without the guns)

Xanrag
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 18 2017 05:49

Sunaj wrote:It's not a FW issue, its an issue with the starter core list building mechanics.

Hmm.. interesting. I guess I should do a quick check of Power Points vs standard layout Points and see how things compare. Shouldn't be too hard, I'll see if I have time tonight. That way we can compare the "standard" cost of things in the regular index vs FW index.

Did a quick check and well.. power levels are all over the place unfortunately, even just in the GW index.

Some things do stick out though, like a flier from GW has 9PL being 167pts but the Remora has 3PL being 81pts.. so the difference between PL and Points is a whole Remora model when comparing the total.

In most cases the FW models do tend toward being on the more expensive side points wise but there are some expensive items in the regular GW index as well like Ethereal and Darkstrider both being 45pts but the first is 2PL and the latter 3PL.

The Y'vahra and R'varna points are also an outlier, you'd think they being so similar they'd have similar values but the R'varna despite having lower PL has much higher points cost.

Return to “General Discussion”