White Dwarf with Tau reference

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

White Dwarf with Tau reference

Post#1 » Jun 28 2017 05:35

Hello ATT,

Do anyone of you is able to share your knowledge about in which White Dwarf you saw references to Tau fluff, units and/or painting?

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: White Dwarf with Tau reference

Post#2 » Jun 28 2017 08:24

Quickly going through my own collection, the following White Dwarf magazines are most useful to the Tau:

- White Dwarf #261, #262 and #263 (US). Perhaps the most quintessential issues of White Dwarf for the Tau, these three issues were the first ones to cover the original Tau release in 2001. #261 features an Index Xenos background overview of the Tau Empire, as well as some Tau concept art and short stories.

#262 features the original designer's notes on the Tau, more concept art, articles on the design process behind the original 3rd edition Tau plastic kits (which were the foundations of the Tau design aesthetic), an Index Xenos background overview of the Kroot (which includes material that I don't think has ever been published elsewhere), a Tau miniatures gallery, a showcase of a Tau-themed cityfight table, a collection of Tau related short stories and the first ever battle report to feature the Tau (with none other than notorious enemy of The Empire Phil Kelly commanding the opposing force).

#263 features an article on Crisis Suit configurations (which is where many of the Crisis Suit loadout naming conventions originate from), a background overview of Vior'la (which I don't think has ever been published anywhere else) and a tutorial on how to make a Tau building scenery piece.

- White Dwarf #307 (US). While most of this issue is focused around coverage of the 6th edition Wood Elf and 4th edition Tyranid releases, it does also feature a Golden Daemon showcase that includes some Tau models.

- White Dwarf #313 (AU). Not only is this the first White Dwarf issue I ever owned, it is also the first White Dwarf to feature the Tau army of Tael himself, which is showcased in an article that includes detailed commentary from Tael alongside selected model close-ups and a couple of quick modeling tutorials (like how to make a separate or discarded Firewarrior helmet). Also featured is a preview for the 4th edition Tau codex.

- While I do not own a copy of it (yet...), and thus cannot provide an issue number, if memory serves the issue for April 2006 was the one to cover the 4th edition Tau release, and includes a battle report between the Tau and Dark Eldar amongst other Tau-related articles.

- White Dwarf #316 (AU). This issue features an introduction to the Medusa V campaign (including a teaser for the Tau side of it), an Index Xenos overview of the Vespid, a showcase article for Troy Forster's Tau army and a modelling and painting guide for Tau vehicles (including one of the first guides to Sept colours).

- I can't seem to find an issue number on it, but April 2013 is the White Dwarf issue covering the 6th edition Tau release. It features designers' commentary on the 6th edition Tau models, a battle report between the Tau and Tyranids (odd how history repeats itself sometimes) and a Tau painting guide.

There's almost certainly more (there was a second White Dwarf to feature Tael's army, this time focusing on his cityfight force, and I can dimly recall a battle report between Tau and Dark Angels, but I can't for the life of me remember what issues those articles were in), but those are the ones I have close at hand and should provide a start.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 28 2017 08:56

I've got the WD issues for 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen tau at home, once I get back I'll try to remember to get that info for you

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 28 2017 12:10

That's perfect :D
Thank you so much for that feedback. Will start to look for them :)

I believe that knowledge which is inside would be helpful with all mentioned above aspects.

Ps: will edit later on first post to put your feedback there

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jun 28 2017 06:46

Kakapo42 wrote:- I can't seem to find an issue number on it, but April 2013 is the White Dwarf issue covering the 6th edition Tau release. It features designers' commentary on the 6th edition Tau models, a battle report between the Tau and Tyranids (odd how history repeats itself sometimes) and a Tau painting guide.
April 2013 is issue 400. Says it in big bold right on the (US) cover "GIANT 400th ISSUE"

It not only has insight on the 6th edition suits, but all of the types of suits, and it has a fantastic article with Jes Goodwin discussing the origin of the battlesuits and their design. My favorite part has to be the line wherein Jes says that XV8s have the pilot's legs extending into the thighs of the XV8s—in much the way it was described in Gav Thorpe's recently re-released Last Chancers: Kill Team (like Masamune's Landmates but without the arm controls). There is some canon conflicts on the depiction of piloting methods, but I like it best and it comes straight from the mouth of the original designer.

WD 400 April 2013 pg 83 wrote:We also looked at how the battlesuit would carry its pilot. The Fire Warrior sits cradled in the central chassis, using both his arms and legs to control the suit – his feet even extend a certain way down into area [sic] where the legs are. When a battlesuit walks, it does so with the gait of a Fire Warrior.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jun 29 2017 02:13

Just a FYI our glorious A.T.T. website has The Card Catalog which has the following:
  • A list of all the WD issues - US, UK and AU but also description of the contents of each issue
  • Links to all the Tau Codices up to 5th edition
  • Links to lore for other races Space Marines, Orks, Tyrannid etc.
  • A number of small background Tau stories previously published elsewhere (no longer available)
  • Links to a few Forge World Tau related works
  • Links to all known Black Library Tau related short stories, novellas, and novels.

We have these resources at our finger tips, and let's promote them! :D

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 02 2017 04:57

WD #314 March 2006: Tau new Release - Second Codex Release
Contents:
5 Army Lists
Updating your Army by Jeff Hall
for the Greater Good: Tau Designer Notes
Battle Report: Tau v Dark Eldar
Warriors of the Fire Caste (Modeling and Painting)

WD #400 April 2013: Tau new Release - Third Codex Release
(content already coverd by ARC'Thunder)

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 02 2017 05:29

FYI, back issues of White Dwarf are available via PDF here:

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/36808103

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 02 2017 09:45

Issue 271 (August 2002, p. 60) had Tau vehicle design rules and stats for the Swordfish.
Issue 390 (July 2012, p.84) had a painting guide for Tau.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 10 2017 11:41

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Jul 13 2017 12:44

INdeed we have a great Resource thread on this very topic.

However, it would be good to update it - look forward to feedback on this thread so we can bring the Resource up to 2017 :)

Might worthwhile expanding the Resource list to have mentions like what Kakapo is adding.

- Tael.

Return to “General Discussion”