8th Edition Value Infiltration Cadre vs Start Collecting

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
jesot
Shas

8th Edition Value Infiltration Cadre vs Start Collecting

Post#1 » Jun 30 2017 06:19

I was going to start playing Tau in 7th Edition, but never got around to it. Seems like they got hit pretty hard with 8th, but it seems like I still want to pick them up.

My FLGS has an Infiltration Cadre still. Priced the same as the Start Collecting box. Wondering if that's the better deal now with the changes and how armies are being constructed early on in the new edition?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Re: 8th Edition Value Infiltration Cadre vs Start Collecting

Post#2 » Jun 30 2017 06:23

From what i've seen, the start collecting box is almost the same price as a box of 3 crisis suits. So you get the ethereal and fire warriors for free basically.
I'd get one myself, but ive been banned from purchasing new toys :(

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 30 2017 06:56

The Infiltration Cadre Burning Dawn? That one has no good value. You pay for what you get.
The Start Collecting Box however has incredible value and you could easily get 3 of them without regretting it.

Rayscarnage
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 30 2017 07:12

The start collecting is a must but the other one is pretty good also. If he has it for the same price as start collecting he still saves money. He gets 3 stealth suit, one piranha, one pathfinder team and an ethereal.

Depends on what you want to play. There is also the set that comes with a team of pathfinder and a devil fish that could be useful.

jesot
Shas

Post#5 » Jun 30 2017 08:09

I was just wondering because it seems like, from what I've been reading, Crisis suits have been kind of de-emphasized thus far, but it seems like the Stealth suits are back in.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#6 » Jun 30 2017 09:18

While Crisis Suits are out, Commanders are in, and a Commander is just one Crisis "Old Guard who still uses an old retrofitted suit so get off my lawn, you damn younglings" battlesuit away.

Further, I think you end up with more Tactical drones with the Start Collecting Box than you do with the Infiltration Cadre, but i could be wrong on that.

Both Strikers/Breachers and Pathfinders are useful for their own purposes, and in an infantry-focused edition like this, one can probably almost always have more. I'd consider it a wash unless you've a pressing need for either or are oversaturated in only one of 'em.

Stealth suits got a significant boost, and Piranhas seem facially to be worth bringing (haven't played them yet), and either way you get an Ethereal...

And they're priced the same, you say? Just to be clear, did they price the Infiltration Cadre at the Start Collecting price, or did they price the Start Collecting at Infiltration Cadre prices?

Because if its the former, you're getting a helluva deal on BOTH, and there's basically nothing worthless in either set or both (or multiples of either set, or both) aside from a plethora of Ethereals...

Personally, I'd buy both, but I have no shame. ;)

jesot
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 30 2017 11:55

$85 (USD)

So you can just run suits as Commanders as a normally acceptable thing to do? I wasn't clear on that when trying to research it.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 01 2017 12:10

Well... Technicaly no, but before the newest crisis kit and commander kits were released, commanders were the exact same model as crisis suits, only with a different metal head. And since there is no "model expiration" policy, and you can still use your old models... it's probably fine, unless you find some real jerk.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Jul 01 2017 12:48

I'd buy the Burning Dawn box. It won't immediately pay off as much but that kit is a variety of models worth experimenting with. Also, at $85, it's a decent deal as compared to what it once was retail. Get it before your local store realizes that they are putting out a deal!

Cheers!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 01 2017 04:57

Crisis suits took a good hit, but they are still far from being trash.
Unless you want to play tournaments they are still good for games in your FLGS or wherever else you play.
Also we have someone here who has some success with a single huge Crisis unit supported by Drones and such in his games and frankly the one with the biggest win trackrecord with T'au in 8th I've seen (although impossible to proof or reconstruct due lack of battle reports of course).

Anyway, sure you can easily use Crisis as Commander. Build them more fancy so they don't look like a generic Crisis Suit, paint them according to the T'au heraldry for Commander if you are into that...many possibilitites there. ;)

Just a good advice...possibly the best one you'll ever get as T'au player: magnetize your Crisis Suits! :D

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 01 2017 06:06

Panzer wrote:Just a good advice...possibly the best one you'll ever get as T'au player: magnetize your Crisis Suits! :D

THIS

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 01 2017 07:05

I'm a newbie Tau player as well and what I bought was 2x Start Collecting!, 2x Commander, 1x Hammerhead and Xenos 2 rulebook ofc.

The Start Collecting! box is really good value purchase, don't think I'll ever need 2 Ethereals but still the Fire Warriors and Crisis Suits are pretty much always usable.
Commanders are very good as well with quite a lot of gearing options.
The Hammerhead can act as a Hammerhead, Sky Ray Missile Defence Gunship, Devilfish and Longstrike.

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 01 2017 08:22

Crisis Suits have just changed. Now that it's more difficult to improve their BS, it's better to equip them with weapons that have a high rate of fire. Thus you don't usually see Crisis suits equipped with fusion blaster anymore, and instead they usually run flamers, plasma, cyclic ion blasters, and missile pods.

The "start collecting" box definitely seems like a good purchase. I wouldn't necessarily advise getting a bunch of them, but two would probably be good to get yourself started.

Return to “General Discussion”