New 8th FAQ

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Panzer
Shas'La

Re: New 8th FAQ

Post#181 » Jul 15 2017 12:23

nic wrote:Blacklight marker drones are now 7 points. Add the 3 for the markerlight and they are exactly the same as normal marker drones, although with an amusing but probably useless WS 3+

Do you really have to add the Markerlight for FW Drones? In the GW codex they already come with all their wargear included.

Xanrag
Shas'La

Post#182 » Jul 15 2017 12:27

I did a quick comparison between a XV88 Missileside and a Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead. The Hammerhead is still 37 points more expensive with identical armaments but I think I'll still give it a shot in a few games.

Hammerhead Pro:
  • More Toughness
  • More than double the wounds
  • More mobile
  • BS 3+ base
  • Maybe buffed by Longstrike, IANAL.
  • Has fly (edited in after the fact)

Hammerhead Con:
  • No option for systems, always -1 to hit on the move.
  • No drone saviour protocols.
  • Only 3+ save.
  • Can forget about getting cover saves.

Sadly though this isn't that the Hammerhead became more worth the points but rather that the XV88 is incredibly expensive..

Edit: Added that it has fly.. totally forgot that the XV88 doesn't have it unlike almost all the other battlesuits.
Last edited by Xanrag on Jul 15 2017 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#183 » Jul 15 2017 12:28

Panzer wrote:Do you really have to add the Markerlight for FW Drones? In the GW codex they already come with all their wargear included.

You do because it says just above the drone points costs that they do not include weapons and support systems. It adds up to exactly the same for the Blacklight drones as for normal marker drones now so all is good.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#184 » Jul 15 2017 12:30

nic wrote:
Panzer wrote:Do you really have to add the Markerlight for FW Drones? In the GW codex they already come with all their wargear included.

You do because it says just above the drone points costs that they do not include weapons and support systems. It adds up to exactly the same for the Blacklight drones as for normal marker drones now so all is good.

I see. Well it's not like I plan to get FW models anyway so I never bothered getting their Index. Too bad FW still refuses to produce plastic models.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#185 » Jul 15 2017 12:31

Xanrag wrote:I did a quick comparison between a XV88 Missileside and a Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead. The Hammerhead is still 37 points more expensive with identical armaments but I think I'll still give it a shot in a few games.

Hammerhead Pro:
  • More Toughness
  • More than double the wounds
  • More mobile
  • BS 3+ base
  • Maybe buffed by Longstrike, IANAL.

Hammerhead Con:
  • No option for systems, always -1 to hit on the move.
  • No drone saviour protocols.
  • Only 3+ save.
  • Can forget about getting cover saves.

Sadly though this isn't that the Hammerhead became more worth the points but rather that the XV88 is incredibly expensive..

Don't forget to add "Fly" as pro. ;)

Xanrag
Shas'La

Post#186 » Jul 15 2017 12:41

Panzer wrote:Don't forget to add "Fly" as pro. ;)

Woops! Totally forgot that the XV88 doesn't have fly unlike most of the other suits..

Another interesting comparison is between the double High-Yield Missile Pod and the Twin Heavy Burst Cannon.. with the latter being both cheaper and more shots but less strength and only one damage per wound. Great against toughness 3 hordes though..

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#187 » Jul 23 2017 10:10

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#188 » Jul 23 2017 10:15

Omg awesome news all around!

Longstrike indeed buffs himself for sure now since he and other Hammerheads got the Hammerhead keyword and his text now mentions Hammerhead in bold.

Broadsides can get 2 Missile Drones per Suit in a unit.

The Interceptor Drones on the Sun Shark have two Ion Rifles each.

Shield Drones got a 5+ FnP!!!

Velocity Tracker counts only for the model equipped with it.

Things that got clarified:
Pathfinder benefit from their own Markerlights just as assumed.

Drones get set up with Crisis Suits when they Mantastrike just as assumed.

EWO works on units that get moved by psychic powers!

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#189 » Jul 23 2017 10:35

Oh and another important thing I've spotted:
The wording for ruins got changed so that non-infantry unit has to be entirely on or within it to benefit from cover (if at least 50% hidden). So no "but I have the edge of my hammerhead in that ruin" shenanigans anymore.

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#190 » Jul 23 2017 11:06

Longstrike will probably buff FW hammerheads too once the next FW faq is up and give them the "hammerhead" keyword.

The sunshark drones with two ion rifles...quite a boon, though costs more now as the ion rifles themselves cost.

VT only for equipped model-was obviously RAI.

Shield drone fix was expected, but nice to have. just spamming them for objective grabs might be useful now (you gonna waste your shots on my T4 4++ 5+++ 8 point models?)

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#191 » Jul 23 2017 11:09

Ion Rifles are one of the more points efficient weapons we have, so it actually helps make it worth it's cost despite the minor points bump.

Belmail
Shas'Saal

Post#192 » Jul 23 2017 11:15

boomwolf wrote:
The sunshark drones with two ion rifles...quite a boon, though costs more now as the ion rifles themselves cost.

Interceptor drones come at a flat cost with wargear included as per the index don't they? I didn't see anything in the FAQ that said they also had to pay for the extra ion rifle.

Jburli
Shas'La

Post#193 » Jul 23 2017 11:18

This is good, especially for sun sharks. Note the cost of a drone includes wargear - so the points value stays the same, Jacket. :biggrin: But razorsharks - what is the point of them! :-?

Shield drones have gone from a 4+ save to no save to 5+ save when using saviour protocols. They are now even more durable when being directly shot at, though, so could be useful in a gun drone swarm.

Glad they clarified longstrike.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#194 » Jul 23 2017 11:23

So... Shield drones welcome back? :)

pilky
Shas'La

Post#195 » Jul 23 2017 11:25

boomwolf wrote:Longstrike will probably buff FW hammerheads too once the next FW faq is up and give them the "hammerhead" keyword.

The Missile Pod Hammerhead already had the "hammerhead" keyword, and the first FW FAQ added it to the other variant. Took them a while but they finally managed to fix all the points values and rules so that a Hammerhead is a Hammerhead is a Hammerhead :p

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#196 » Jul 23 2017 11:30

pilky wrote:
boomwolf wrote:Longstrike will probably buff FW hammerheads too once the next FW faq is up and give them the "hammerhead" keyword.

The Missile Pod Hammerhead already had the "hammerhead" keyword, and the first FW FAQ added it to the other variant. Took them a while but they finally managed to fix all the points values and rules so that a Hammerhead is a Hammerhead is a Hammerhead :p

What do ya know, they did.

Now to start trying them out in the field :P

nic
Kroot'La

Post#197 » Jul 23 2017 12:06

Belmail wrote:
boomwolf wrote:

Interceptor drones come at a flat cost with wargear included as per the index don't they? I didn't see anything in the FAQ that said they also had to pay for the extra ion rifle.

The interceptor drones are a bargain, which helps to make the Sunshark quite attractively costed. That is a lot of S7 dakka on a very mobile platform. I find the model a bit gawky looking but rules-wise I am really quite tempted now.

That FAQ did a really good job of answering some of the questions that really were being asked here and elsewhere. If they keep this up we are going to be in a very good place in terms of having a clearly understood easy to play game.

The only micro-nerf was to the VT but if flyer spam is now a high risk strategy I think we will be OK with this only affecting the individual model. It is super-cheap after all. It avoids the whole question of whether the bonus should stack - I get the feeling that they are generally looking to eliminate places where bonuses stack.

Clearly the FW and GW FAQ teams are in close communication, a couple of things in the FW FAQ totally make sense now (the apparently pointless change to the Hammerhead keywords). :D

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#198 » Jul 23 2017 12:42

Page 215 – Sudden Death
Change point 2 to read:
‘If at the end of any turn after the first battle round, one
player has no models on the battlefield, the game ends
immediately and their opponent automatically wins a
crushing victory. When determining if a player has any
units on the battlefield, do not include any units with
the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units cannot operate
within a combat airspace indefinitely and they cannot
hold territory without ground support.
Furthermore, do
not include any units with the Fortification Battlefield
Role unless they have a unit embarked inside – even the
most formidable bastion requires a garrison if it is to
pose a threat.’

So they added flyers to fortifications for the purposes of tabling an opponent. Their reasoning assertion can be flat wrong though, as that would include Orca(full of other embarked units) which can hover indefinitely on a spot. Units embarked on fortification ok, but units on flyer that can hover not ok... ( There are other flyers that can just hover on a spot that aren't forge world models, not sure if they're transports too) Not that I expect this to be a huge issue for orca, it just doesn't make sense...

You can only take understrenght units in a aux detachment, this effectively limits the number to 1 or 2 for most battles, as basically every1 and their grandma is limiting number of detachments.

Confirmed getting more FNP rolls confirmed that they "stack" (you roll both, one after another) (we knew this from facebook answer previously...)

Kinda underwhelming update...

Return to “General Discussion”