New 8th FAQ

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Re: New 8th FAQ

Post#217 » Jul 23 2017 11:58

Anyone else notice that Velocity Trackers got changed to only affect the model? Makes sense, for its points.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#218 » Jul 24 2017 12:09

Unusualsuspect wrote:Anyone else notice that Velocity Trackers got changed to only affect the model? Makes sense, for its points.

Yeah, for a two-point upgrade its effect did seem to be outsized.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#219 » Jul 24 2017 01:06

Way outsized. Glad GW is FAQing stuff so quickly. Makes Rules & FAQ section almost unnecessary.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#220 » Jul 24 2017 02:26

Honestly, I thought it actually did work like that until about a week ago because I didn't read into it, and it was the obvious RAI.

Not exactly a shocker of a change.

555ea
Shas'Saal

Post#221 » Jul 24 2017 04:31

Isn't anyone happy with the change to broadside missile drones? Like, that was exactly what I asked them for on a facebook page, and with a quick response here comes the FAQ. With a sync change to the shield drones taking 3 missile drones and shield drone for 2 broadsides, or 4 missiles and 2 shield drones for 3 broadsides is a good combo, considering a broadside is a good place for a drone controller. :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#222 » Jul 24 2017 04:36

wighti wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Spray & Pray wrote:Funny enough, I'm not sure about the way they buffed shield drones. A 4++, 5+ Fnp and T4 model for 8 pts, raises the question of why take kroot at all as your screening units? The shield drones are super durable for their cost if shot at directly.

I think the 4++ and allowing them that save for saviour purposes would be better for balance.

The question always was there. Gun Drones are already a better screening unit than Kroot. The only reedeeming feature Kroot have is that they can increase the reserve-denying zone a few inches before the game begins.

Gun drones cannot make a pre-game move that moves up your opponents deep striking units another 7"

That's exactly what I wrote. Hell you even quoted it lol

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#223 » Jul 24 2017 04:37

555ea wrote:Isn't anyone happy with the change to broadside missile drones? Like, that was exactly what I asked them for on a facebook page, and with a quick response here comes the FAQ. With a sync change to the shield drones taking 3 missile drones and shield drone for 2 broadsides, or 4 missiles and 2 shield drones for 3 broadsides is a good combo, considering a broadside is a good place for a drone controller. :)

Happy yes, but ultimately it won't change much. The Broadside itself is a bit too expensive, being able to add more expensive Drones doesn't solve its core problem. :D

555ea
Shas'Saal

Post#224 » Jul 24 2017 04:50

Panzer wrote:
555ea wrote:Isn't anyone happy with the change to broadside missile drones? Like, that was exactly what I asked them for on a facebook page, and with a quick response here comes the FAQ. With a sync change to the shield drones taking 3 missile drones and shield drone for 2 broadsides, or 4 missiles and 2 shield drones for 3 broadsides is a good combo, considering a broadside is a good place for a drone controller. :)

Happy yes, but ultimately it won't change much. The Broadside itself is a bit too expensive, being able to add more expensive Drones doesn't solve its core problem. :D

Drones are 4pts cheaper than a missile pod they are carrying (just like DS8 turret) :D
So they are actually increasing the effectiveness of broadsides. 4 drones cost less, than a two HYMPS, so they are extra broadside fire output for very little points.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#225 » Jul 24 2017 05:08

555ea wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Drones are 4pts cheaper than a missile pod they are carrying (just like DS8 turret) :D
So they are actually increasing the effectiveness of broadsides. 4 drones cost less, than a two HYMPS, so they are extra broadside fire output for very little points.

I don't think we are talking about a minor cost change of like 8p per suit lol

NumberM
Shas'Saal

Post#226 » Jul 24 2017 05:57

Panzer wrote:
wighti wrote:
Panzer wrote:The question always was there. Gun Drones are already a better screening unit than Kroot. The only reedeeming feature Kroot have is that they can increase the reserve-denying zone a few inches before the game begins.

Gun drones cannot make a pre-game move that moves up your opponents deep striking units another 7"

Honestly there was no point in taking kroot even before the latest FAQ. If you want the 7" pre game move take pathfinders. They have a better save, gun and makerlights. The close combat advantage will never come into play because kroot are so easy to shoot down.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#227 » Jul 24 2017 06:49

NumberM wrote:
Panzer wrote:
wighti wrote:

Honestly there was no point in taking kroot even before the latest FAQ. If you want the 7" pre game move take pathfinders. They have a better save, gun and makerlights. The close combat advantage will never come into play because kroot are so easy to shoot down.

I have to disagree there. Pathfinder are good but you don't want them to act as screening unit. In fact it's the opposite that's true. You'd want to protect them instead.
While Pathfinder could do something similar, they are way too expensive and way too valuable to act as screening unit like Kroot or Drones.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#228 » Jul 24 2017 06:57

I always forget Kroot have that extra move. I think if you just deploy your Drones properly though you should be okay.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#229 » Jul 24 2017 07:06

Way too expensive?
I think you missed something here. pathfinders barely cost more than kroot.

For every 4 kroot screen models, you could have 3 pathfinders. and given that pathfinders got better armor, they'll screen just as good-except the pathfidners will get a little done with their superior guns, ability to mark targets and the occasional special weapon if you want to take one.
They also have better Ld (and BKR), so less moral casualties, and the ability to supporting fire.

If you are using kroot for forward screening-you might as well use pathfinders. they do it better.
Its not that pathfinders are amazing at screening, its just they are better than kroot, because kroot are really REALLY bad.

Currently, there is no way to justify taking kroot in a list.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#230 » Jul 24 2017 07:33

boomwolf wrote:Way too expensive?
I think you missed something here. pathfinders barely cost more than kroot.

For every 4 kroot screen models, you could have 3 pathfinders. and given that pathfinders got better armor, they'll screen just as good-except the pathfidners will get a little done with their superior guns, ability to mark targets and the occasional special weapon if you want to take one.
They also have better Ld (and BKR), so less moral casualties, and the ability to supporting fire.

If you are using kroot for forward screening-you might as well use pathfinders. they do it better.
Its not that pathfinders are amazing at screening, its just they are better than kroot, because kroot are really REALLY bad.

Currently, there is no way to justify taking kroot in a list.

Pathfinder cost almost twice as much as Kroot per model. Yes I'd call that way more expensive for a simple screening unit.
But even if they'd cost the same it doesn't change the fact that their purpose doesn't overlap. You'd want to protect your Pathfinder most of the time, not sacrifice them to the very first enemy unit that comes running at you.

That being said I think the scout move for a screening unit is usefull but overall rather overrated so I for one usually stick to Drones (or Strike Teams if I have them in my list for some reason because I usually rather play with Breacher).

Atzilla
Shas'Saal

Post#231 » Jul 24 2017 07:44

Today I learned 6*2≅8 :D

Seriously:
If you want a cheap screen, take kroot hounds.
If you want a more durable screen, take drones/strike teams.
If you absolutely need the scout move, take pathfinders, who cares what their purpose is, or kroot, both will do their job
Last edited by Atzilla on Jul 24 2017 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#232 » Jul 24 2017 07:47

Current list of screening units

Drones: 8ppm, high damage output, relatively durable (for a screening unit).
Pathfinders: 8ppm, decent damage output, average durability, markerlights.
Fire warriors: 8ppm, decent damage output, relatively durable (esp in cover)
Kroot: 6ppm, poor damage output, poor durability, scout move.
Kroot Hounds: 4ppm, no shooting, good movement, cheap.

Regular kroot loose on all fronts when it comes to screening, not cheap enough to spam, not durable enough to stick around, totally useless in shooting AND CC.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#233 » Jul 24 2017 07:48

Atzilla wrote:Today I learned 6*2≅8

Seriously:
If you want a cheap screen, take kroot hounds.
If you want a more durable screen, take drones/strike teams.
If you absolutely need the scout move, take pathfinders, who cares what their purpose is, or kroot, both will do their job

Ah welp I derped there. Still had the 11p from the previous edition in my head.
But my argument that their purpose doesn't really overlap remains. ;)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#234 » Jul 24 2017 07:50

Lechai Skull wrote:Current list of screening units

Drones: 8ppm, high damage output, relatively durable (for a screening unit), fly, are bodyguards for Infantry and Battlesuits.
Pathfinders: 8ppm, decent damage output, average durability, markerlights, scout.
Fire warriors: 8ppm, decent damage output, relatively durable (esp in cover)
Kroot: 6ppm, poor damage output, poor durability, scout move.
Kroot Hounds: 4ppm, no shooting, good movement, cheap.

Regular kroot loose on all fronts when it comes to screening, not cheap enough to spam, not durable enough to stick around, totally useless in shooting AND CC.

Added some things for you. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”