RIP shield drones

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
azlanpower
Shas'Saal

RIP shield drones

Post#1 » Jul 02 2017 08:26

A moment of silence for these little fellas who always helps our suits and infantry, giving their AI lives to save us while GW mercilessly put them out of use.

Now, anyone out there can think of any other use of these shield drones before they are stored in shelves forever?

DVeight
Shas'La

Re: RIP shield drones

Post#2 » Jul 02 2017 08:36

Many of us have written to GW and posted on their facebook page in the hope they have a second look at this one because it does not make any sense from a gaming tactical perspective. Fluff wise as well it makes no sense that weapons which don't do mortal wounds somehow do so for the drones using saviour protocol.

In the interim, use them to occupy the board where they can be a nuisance to the oppositions movement of units. That is, deny them coherency and ability to move forward towards your core force.

Use them in your rear so you can deny any reserves coming in anywhere near your core units.

They have a decent move characteristic and advance poses no negatives so they can be a cheap pest to just occupy areas of terrain where you want to frustrate your opponent and deny him/her the field. They will then have to expend their shooting at these drones...... which means we get to use the 4+ Invul!!! YAY!!! ;)

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 02 2017 08:40

Huh, interesting.
Scattering small units of Shield Drones to deny enemys' movement or making him to waste some precious shooting/charging.
A little bit like magnetic mines :D

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 02 2017 08:43

I'm banking on GW to do a u-turn based on the horde of complaints / queries they are likely to receive.

DVeight
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 02 2017 08:53

Ricordis wrote:Huh, interesting.
Scattering small units of Shield Drones to deny enemys' movement or making him to waste some precious shooting/charging.
A little bit like magnetic mines :D

Yea, exactly. Its the only tactical benefit I can now see with shield drones considering what they have done to the saviour protocol ability.

HOWEVER, important to note that the gun drone is same points as shield drone and you get 4 shots for each gun drone. So may as well forget about shield drone and deploy gun drones to be your nuisance units. Or mix in some shield drones with the gun drones so can take those invul saves when hit with AP weapons.

There is some tactical use left for us however the saviour protocol ability itself is totally redundant for a shield drone as no pint in sitting them near your infantry or battlesuits. Yes they can still absorb the damage but its a mortal wound so no chance to even save anything.

Like someone said in another thread, throw a rock at a battlesuit and the intercepting drone will explode on contact.

DVeight
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 02 2017 08:53

Lechai Skull wrote:I'm banking on GW to do a u-turn based on the horde of complaints / queries they are likely to receive.

One can only hope.

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 02 2017 09:06

Shield Drones might still be useful around characters as the drones must be targeted first.

GW might also just reduce Shield Drones point costs...That's the easy approach. Make them so cheap so they only act as external wound batteries which are harder to kill if attacked directly.

TheAnarchitect
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 02 2017 10:27

Shield drones are still useful for those moments that your opponent decides "He's going to put the wounds onto his drones anyway, I might as well shoot the drones first."

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jul 02 2017 11:01

TheAnarchitect wrote:Shield drones are still useful for those moments that your opponent decides "He's going to put the wounds onto his drones anyway, I might as well shoot the drones first."

Except this not only deals less damage, but the wounds also can't spill over on to the XV8s. Unless your opponent doesn't know the Tau rules, they're not going to do this I think.

Peregrim
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 02 2017 11:33

TheAnarchitect wrote:Shield drones are still useful for those moments that your opponent decides "He's going to put the wounds onto his drones anyway, I might as well shoot the drones first."

The opposite is true -- since you're going to put the wounds on the drones anyway, might as well target the battlesuits so the drones don't get a save and you have a chance at killing a high-value model.

DVeight
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jul 02 2017 11:38

Peregrim wrote:

The opposite is true -- since you're going to put the wounds on the drones anyway, might as well target the battlesuits so the drones don't get a save and you have a chance at killing a high-value model.

That's correct.... and why this change to the ability has created so much discussion.

Colt
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 02 2017 11:53

I use them against heavy psiker armies in three occasions now, using them as a "shield" to direct and control posible Smite strikes over key units. But yeah the role could be ran better with GD's...
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 03 2017 12:14

Lets face it. Any use Shield Drones might still have Gun Drones simply do better due the additional 4 S5 shots for the same cost.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Jul 03 2017 12:34

Panzer wrote:Lets face it. Any use Shield Drones might still have Gun Drones simply do better due the additional 4 S5 shots for the same cost.

I think it's very likely they give Shield Drones some kind of ability to ignore mortal wounds. It's odd just how non-viable they became overnight. Plus someone mentioned a piece of GW correspondence where they said the design team was "looking at it" or something.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jul 03 2017 12:46

Arka0415 wrote:Plus someone mentioned a piece of GW correspondence where they said the design team was "looking at it" or something.

Thats PR for, "we stuffed up".

Koiju
Shas

Post#16 » Jul 03 2017 05:56

Uh, you guys seem to have made a mistake, the wounds transfered to drones DOES NOT become mortal wounds, im looking at the book right now, it says:
'Saviour Protocols: If a DRONES unit is within 3" of a friendly T'AU EMPIRE INFANTRY or BATTLESUIT unit, you may choose to allocate any wounds to the drones instead of the target unit'

In other words, it works exactly as if the drones were temorarily part of the target unit for the purposes of wound allocation, the drones would still get their saves.

I've used shield drones a lot in my games so far and I find them very nice for soaking wounds off of other targets.
If anything I think I preffer them to gun drones.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jul 03 2017 05:59

Koiju wrote:Uh, you guys seem to have made a mistake, the wounds transfered to drones DOES NOT become mortal wounds, im looking at the book right now, it says:
'Saviour Protocols: If a DRONES unit is within 3" of a friendly T'AU EMPIRE INFANTRY or BATTLESUIT unit, you may choose to allocate any wounds to the drones instead of the target unit'

In other words, it works exactly as if the drones were temorarily part of the target unit for the purposes of wound allocation, the drones would still get their saves.

I've used shield drones a lot in my games so far and I find them very nice for soaking wounds off of other targets.

It's not in the book. It's in the FAQ/Errata. ;)
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

Pages 53, 56, 57, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
and 74 – Saviour Protocols
Change this rule to read:
‘Saviour Protocols: If a <Sept> Drones unit is within 3"
of a friendly <Sept> Infantry or <Sept> Battlesuit
unit when an enemy attack successfully wounds it, you
can allocate that wound to the Drones unit instead of
the target. If you do, that Drones unit suffers a mortal
wound instead of the normal damage.’

Oxydo
Shas

Post#18 » Jul 03 2017 06:01

Koiju wrote:Uh, you guys seem to have made a mistake, the wounds transfered to drones DOES NOT become mortal wounds, im looking at the book right now, it says:

Things were changed in the FAQ that was released yesterday.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/40K_8th_ed_Update_Index_Xenos_2_ver_1.0.pdf

Edit: Welp, that's what I get for not updating in time.

Return to “General Discussion”