XV8-02 as commanders?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
athelu
Shas'Saal

XV8-02 as commanders?

Post#1 » Jul 03 2017 02:30

Like the subject says, do you see getting flak if you started using the XV8-02 from the crisis suit box as commander models? Commander spam is the new black, so I assume I cannot be the only person looking for a way to make my models work for me.

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Re: XV8-02 as commanders?

Post#2 » Jul 03 2017 02:50

Standard crisis suits have been used as commanders since the beginning. Use whatever model you want as long as you distinguish then from the other suits.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 03 2017 04:18

Yep. Here's what I'm doing.

Red antenna = Shas'ui (Basic XV8, Fire Warrior Sergeants)
Red Helmet = Shas'vre (XV8 Sergeants)
White Helmet = Shas'el (XV8 Commanders)

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 03 2017 06:53

Yep, pretty much what i do

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#5 » Jul 03 2017 11:47

Paint it up to look distinctive and put it on the larger base and you are good to go. So long as it cannot confuse your opponent there should be no issue.

You can go further and kitbash a more distinctive head like the old commander model had but I would never require it.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 03 2017 11:55

relasine wrote:Yep. Here's what I'm doing.

That is exactly how the 7th edition codex says to do your ranks :)
The days of goodly English is went

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 04 2017 01:53

Bloodknife92 wrote:

Well not exactly.
It says:
Shas'ui = Sept colored antenna + shoulder guard
Shas'Vre = Sept colored antenna + helmet + shoulder guard
Shas'El = Sept colored helmet + shoulder guard + armor colored antenna (rank below Shas'O but fulfills the same battlefield role)
Shas'O = Sept colored antenna + helmet + shoulder guard + armor colored Sept markings (the stripes)

So if the antenna/helmet are red, it's because they are from the Vior'la Sept. If the Shas'El helmet is white, then it's because he is from the T'au Sept. ;)

If we take my color scheme as example it would look like this (I left out all the places I put Sept color on my own choice for clarity):
Sept = Sa'Cea = orange
Armor = green for jungle/forest fighting (yes I didn't go with the classic urban themed Sa'Cea)

Shas'la

Shas'Ui

Shas'Vre

Shas'El

Shas'O

And then it mentions that some Tau warrior who earned special honors are allowed to wear an inverted color scheme to stick out.
Hence why my Coldstar will look more like this:

Bonus: my Breacher color scheme because I wanted them to stick out from my Strike Teams and because a unit that drives close with a Devilfish and is armed with shotguns shouldn't care too much about being stealthy anyway. :D

Anyway, enough offtopic. I agree with the others that using Crisis as Commander is perfectly fine as long as the opponent can see they are Commander and not regular Crisis. How exactly you do that is up to you but the T'au heraldric can of course help.

EDIT: seems like spoiler and img tags don't like eachother. :roll:

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 06 2017 10:55

Panzer wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:

Well not exactly.
It says:
Shas'El = Sept colored helmet + shoulder guard + armor colored antenna (rank below Shas'O but fulfills the same battlefield role)
Shas'O = Sept colored antenna + helmet + shoulder guard + armor colored Sept markings (the stripes)

So if the antenna/helmet are red, it's because they are from the Vior'la Sept. If the Shas'El helmet is white, then it's because he is from the T'au Sept. ;)

If we take my color scheme as example it would look like this (I left out all the places I put Sept color on my own choice for clarity):
Sept = Sa'Cea = orange
Armor = green for jungle/forest fighting (yes I didn't go with the classic urban themed Sa'Cea)

Shas'la

Shas'Ui

Shas'Vre

Shas'El

Shas'O

And then it mentions that some Tau warrior who earned special honors are allowed to wear an inverted color scheme to stick out.
Hence why my Coldstar will look more like this:

Bonus: my Breacher color scheme because I wanted them to stick out from my Strike Teams and because a unit that drives close with a Devilfish and is armed with shotguns shouldn't care too much about being stealthy anyway. :D

Anyway, enough offtopic. I agree with the others that using Crisis as Commander is perfectly fine as long as the opponent can see they are Commander and not regular Crisis. How exactly you do that is up to you but the T'au heraldric can of course help.

EDIT: seems like spoiler and img tags don't like eachother. :roll:

double check your image links, i pasted them in to a tab and theres nothing there.

athelu
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 12 2017 02:27

Where in the codex is this scheme listed?
Panzer wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:

Well not exactly.
It says:

Sept = Sa'Cea = orange

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 12 2017 02:31

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jul 12 2017 02:37

athelu wrote:Where in the codex is this scheme listed?
Panzer wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:That is exactly how the 7th edition codex says to do your ranks :)

Well not exactly.
It says:

Sept = Sa'Cea = orange

In the painting section. Not in words but in pictures and across several pages.

Return to “General Discussion”