New Codexes announced

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: New Codexes announced

Post#55 » Jul 09 2017 05:25

And it shall not look like a wishlist.
If it does GW staff will declare it as spam :D
Constructive criticism: I have do admit 8th edition did many things right or at least took the right direction.
(The more games I play the more I like it how drones form their own units...as long as they don't give VPs.)

Sykes
Shas

Post#56 » Jul 10 2017 01:22

Ricordis wrote:And it shall not look like a wishlist.

Absolutely, which is why maybe we just want a poll/survey of the biggest issues/concerns without stating what the solution should be (which would look like wish-listing).

Ricordis wrote: Constructive criticism: I have do admit 8th edition did many things right or at least took the right direction. (The more games I play the more I like it how drones form their own units...as long as they don't give VPs.)

Agreed, although they also got things wrong. The drone rules aren't strictly better or worse... just more... awkward. You'll also find that the new rules severely de-value utility drones, i.e. you'll rarely see the benefit of stealth/pulse accelerator/grav drones because they'll be picked out straight away and killed with minimal effort.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#57 » Jul 10 2017 07:44

I am still hesitant about drones.
I hate it if my enemy decides to target my stealthdrones or guardian drone and gains VPs for them. But on the other hand drones are cheap mass produced buff sources and it is fair if the enemy is able to destroy them.
Making them untargetable like characters is too much but the Sniper Drones' rule looks fine for me:
-1 to hit as long as there is another enemy unit closer to the firer.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#58 » Jul 11 2017 06:47

Sykes wrote:You'll also find that the new rules severely de-value utility drones, i.e. you'll rarely see the benefit of stealth/pulse accelerator/grav drones because they'll be picked out straight away and killed with minimal effort.

To minimize this effect you are somewhat pushed to take all the drones with the pathfinder (or other datasheet) entry to create a big enough unit so that your specific drone is the first to get rotated out of commision.
So with the pathfinder unit: Recon drone, Grav drone, Pulse drone and 2 Tactical Drones probably atleast one of them a shield drone to protect that group a bit better.
Atleast that is how I read it that all those drones after deployment form 1 group of 5 drones then.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Jul 11 2017 07:20

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Sykes wrote:You'll also find that the new rules severely de-value utility drones, i.e. you'll rarely see the benefit of stealth/pulse accelerator/grav drones because they'll be picked out straight away and killed with minimal effort.

To minimize this effect you are somewhat pushed to take all the drones with the pathfinder (or other datasheet) entry to create a big enough unit so that your specific drone is the first to get rotated out of commision.
So with the pathfinder unit: Recon drone, Grav drone, Pulse drone and 2 Tactical Drones probably atleast one of them a shield drone to protect that group a bit better.
Atleast that is how I read it that all those drones after deployment form 1 group of 5 drones then.

You're paying 48 points then for a squad that better buff a lot of stuff to stay efficient. If you're buffing a squad of Pathfinders w/ Ion Rifles, you'd be better off just taking more Pathfinders I think.

On the other hand, using that squad to pass out buffs to a large group of Fire Warriors, that's going to be very efficient. However, you need to have Pathfinders deploy very close to the gunline, since those Drones must deploy with the Pathfinders.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#60 » Jul 11 2017 08:15

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:

You're paying 48 points then for a squad that better buff a lot of stuff to stay efficient. If you're buffing a squad of Pathfinders w/ Ion Rifles, you'd be better off just taking more Pathfinders I think.

On the other hand, using that squad to pass out buffs to a large group of Fire Warriors, that's going to be very efficient. However, you need to have Pathfinders deploy very close to the gunline, since those Drones must deploy with the Pathfinders.

Well you still have a movement phase so you could put them out 9" from a unit that will receive the actual buff (9" = 8 normal movement and 1 advancement (minimum roll))

I don't have a problem with making such big drone units if it gives me these buffs, but they are still easy pickings and a hindrance for us with First Blood and Kill point missions and the like.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#61 » Jul 11 2017 08:17

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Well you still have a movement phase so you could put them out 9" from a unit that will receive the actual buff (9" = 8 normal movement and 1 advancement (minimum roll))

I don't have a problem with making such big drone units if it gives me these buffs, but they are still easy pickings and a hindrance for us with First Blood and Kill point missions and the like.

This is definitely possible. I've played some test games though, and while not impossible, it just annoys me. You need to deploy your Pathfinders out of cover, right between the gunline and the cover you need them to be in. Then you vanguard move the Pathfinders to cover, and on your turn, move the drones into place so they can be available to the Fire Warriors during the first shooting phase. That's a lot of logistics for a +6" range buff!

Return to “General Discussion”