New Codexes announced

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

New Codexes announced

Post#1 » Jul 05 2017 09:20

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: New Codexes announced

Post#2 » Jul 05 2017 09:26

So, who's ready for the "Tau might become good again" HYPE TRAIN PART TWO?

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 05 2017 09:28

Hell

Yeah

Seriously, been checking WHC every day for this.

My Day, is Made.

Edit: Okay, so Unique Stratagems: I figured we might get some formations or something akin to formations for CP cost (Still kind of wondering if Relics will cost CPs) but... could stratagems be our new Formations? Reading advanced rules there are some pretty specific and special things in some of those, could we get a mont'ka Stratagem maybe?

Edit 2: 10 by Christmas... But they are putting out Deathguard and Grey Knights, after Space Marines? That's... I don't know? I wish they'd put out the big Factions prior to putting out subfactions.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 05 2017 09:57

Guys, T'au are good now. Sure, they are not an easy win with a Riptide wing from 7th edition, but was that fun for anyone? I'm expecting more unique rules and command traits I wouldn't expect another complete overhaul. It would be nice to get something that will play in the psychic phase.

My prediction: There will be two army books coming for the T'au. First is the T'au followed by the T'au Empire which will include new models/sculpts for Kroot & Vespid. This codex will focus on all the auxiliary T'au allies. Giving them more options to have an all Kroot army or an army of mostly T'au Empire allies with little T'au.

What are your thoughts?

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 05 2017 10:03

If we do get two separate codices, it would make more sense to have one for the T'au Empire, which includes auxiliaries (and hopefully, finally, the ability to take an Imperial Guard detachment a la Genestealer Cults), and one for Farsight Enclaves.

Also, note that the article doesn't say in what order the revealed codices will be released, just that they will "swiftly follow" the C:SM codex. We could still see T'au after Chaos.

Joe5952
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 05 2017 10:54

I really hope that they will do away with savior protocols all together and just have it the way it used to be with drones being parts of units instead of their own separate units. I really don't understand why they would make it so you could choose to make saves with any model in a unit, but force drones to be their own separate units. Of they were embedded in units it would make shield drones good again and solve all of the problems that drones face right now.
Maybe crisis suits will jump shoot jump once more!
I am also excited for the prospect of Sept specific rules.
I kind of hope that chaos possesed won't be objectively worse than Khorne berserkers. Who knows maybe they might be at least slightly playable. I kind of want to start Word Bearers army after I finish my Tau so that's why I care about the unloved and constantly neglected possesed.

oakreef
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 05 2017 11:02

Shouldn't it be Codices?

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 05 2017 11:34

Well it's nice to hear atl least something about the codices from the official source.
Great to hear they will start relesing them so soon (hopefully without any hesitant mistakes this time) but I would not be suprised to see Tau codec only in the next release batch in the next year.
The revealed coming codices are rather strange choise... I mean a most common faction with a sub factioon coming with each? Uhm arlight... hopefully that wont be the actual release order as I would like to see some alternating releases with having xenos and IoM faction codiced releasing after each other.

Potential new models for every faction but not with every codex release: So pretty much just new models for the new factions and re-sculpts for the most outdated models (such as IG, orks, nids?).

Can't wait to see new auxilliary models for the Tau :)
Cheers!
Nix

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 05 2017 01:29

I wouldn't necessarily class them as sub factions, they're full armies with different units. I do expect T'au Empire to be a single codex, but with sub factions for various major septs plus Farsight Enclaves.

I'm more interested in models though. I remember a few years ago there was a rumour regarding a medium suit, a very big suit, and fortification, which turned out to be the Ghostkeel, Stormsurge, and Tidewall. The same rumour mentioned new Kroot and Vespid minis too, so would be nice to see the auxiliaries fleshed out a bit more with our next codex (especially after FW cut back on Kroot as well). Not sure we really need more core T'au stuff at this stage.

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 05 2017 01:46

Joe5952 wrote:I really hope that they will do away with savior protocols all together and just have it the way it used to be with drones being parts of units instead of their own separate units. I really don't understand why they would make it so you could choose to make saves with any model in a unit, but force drones to be their own separate units. Of they were embedded in units it would make shield drones good again and solve all of the problems that drones face right now.
Maybe crisis suits will jump shoot jump once more!
I am also excited for the prospect of Sept specific rules.
I kind of hope that chaos possesed won't be objectively worse than Khorne berserkers. Who knows maybe they might be at least slightly playable. I kind of want to start Word Bearers army after I finish my Tau so that's why I care about the unloved and constantly neglected possesed.

That would be a terrible idea given how morale works in 8th Ed. The limiting factor for drones was always that they weren't very effective in combat (hitting on 5s at range) and losses on them triggered leadership checks on the parent unit, such that losing a gun drone could make you lose a squad of crisis suits.

No, I'm far happier with Saviour Protocols as they are now.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 05 2017 02:08

Sheeb wrote:Guys, T'au are good now. Sure, they are not an easy win with a Riptide wing from 7th edition, but was that fun for anyone? I'm expecting more unique rules and command traits I wouldn't expect another complete overhaul. It would be nice to get something that will play in the psychic phase.

My prediction: There will be two army books coming for the T'au. First is the T'au followed by the T'au Empire which will include new models/sculpts for Kroot & Vespid. This codex will focus on all the auxiliary T'au allies. Giving them more options to have an all Kroot army or an army of mostly T'au Empire allies with little T'au.

What are your thoughts?

I really fail to see how there is enough in the FSE to justify a whole 2nd book. Still angry about them putting out Mont'ka and Kauyon and an 7th, shortly after 6th, at the same time without enough clarification on what the buy was.

As for Kroot and Vespid, unelss they are changing their rules in some meaningful way the sculpts seem fine. I'll believe new Kroot sculpts are coming when new Hormagants do: literally every hormie in the swarm uses the exact same body and body/leg pose, which is slottabase, which is terribly fragile. The Kroot kit is still miles better, and they still look perfectly fine.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 05 2017 02:24

i want new kroot hounds and Krootox!

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 05 2017 02:27

Joe5952 wrote:I really hope that they will do away with savior protocols all together and just have it the way it used to be with drones being parts of units instead of their own separate units. I really don't understand why they would make it so you could choose to make saves with any model in a unit, but force drones to be their own separate units. Of they were embedded in units it would make shield drones good again and solve all of the problems that drones face right now.

They won't put drones back inside units because this would mess with save and toughness rolling. If you notice, every unit now only has models with same Toughness and Armour Save. This was streamlined to avoit 'majority T and Sv' situations.

Xanrag
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 05 2017 03:05

They don't have to make new models for kroot, just bring back the old cavalry and big monsters.

I have the models but no rules for this edition. :sad:

Joe5952
Shas

Post#15 » Jul 05 2017 04:43

They could fix the drone leadership issue by just making the savior protocol rule mean that drones don't count towards leadership tests.
The toughness confusion could be solved the same way as genestealer familiars and grits are solved by having their toughness just not count.
I will admit that my ideas do have some holes in them but I still think it would be a step in the right direction.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jul 05 2017 04:52

I just realized we also made a jump of 100 years forwards with the 8th edition.
Most characters should be replaced if they were not laid on ice and I also think some of our prototypes should finally leave this status.
Yes, I look at you XV22. I think Shadowsun proved you working. Time to be mass produced, at least for the Shas'vres.

I mean, c'mon, Roboute and Cawl managed to get a whole new army of super-marines with enhanced weaponry and even old/new hover technology for vehicle.
You can't tell us the Earthcaste wasn't able to pull out something equal.
There must come something "new" with the Codex.

Or they go the cheap way:
We lost a whole Expansion Fleet. There's no time for new stuff, we had to rebuild the old ones...

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jul 05 2017 05:16

They have to know there is demand for both mass produced version of the XV-22 as well as big demand for a generic stealth commander like the XV8 one.

The other big Tau wants are auxiliaries. Also lady Atia made it very clear that whatever is being released for Tau next year is being released is part of a fixed theme so think AoS army release. So no mix and match Auxiliary book of vespid, kroot, and Gue'vesa for example. The only other thing is that it is a Tau release that is not directly part of the Empire.

Most people think this is Auxiliary, but a second camp is thinking it's 4th sphere. I can't see how that would be fair to existing Tau players to give them a new army that can't even in lore all ally with the existing Tau. We aren't space marines where they get break neck releases so fast a chapter can get a model or two and not feel left out since some other chapter will get something. Tau models released for a single sub-faction is all the models we would see for years which is why I think it can't be the 4th sphere.

Edit
Also Tau septs are confirmed since they said they are exploring new sub-faction rules for all factions that never had them and gave necron dynasties as an example. I hope we get Kel'shan as my Sept originally was founded there.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jul 05 2017 05:32

Ricordis wrote:I just realized we also made a jump of 100 years forwards with the 8th edition.
Most characters should be replaced if they were not laid on ice and I also think some of our prototypes should finally leave this status.
Yes, I look at you XV22. I think Shadowsun proved you working. Time to be mass produced, at least for the Shas'vres

Incoming: Stealthsuits can now wear 2 weapons! Still only 1 weapon on the sprue. Where have I seen that before? :D

The enclaves shouldn't need an additional book, as there are no more formations, the enclaves unique bonuses should fit on 3-4 pages max. I'm too not so happy about splitting the empire into more subfactions or putting every unique character to a specific sept, but let's wait until we see "sept tactics", so far it's not that bad to include more different septs in a list, only some force multipliers don't work cross-sept so far.

Return to “General Discussion”