New Codexes announced

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

Re: New Codexes announced

Post#19 » Jul 06 2017 10:50

Sheeb wrote:i want new kroot hounds and Krootox!

Now it would be something to see a kit that housed Kroot, Krootox and Kroot Hounds, or a Krootox+Hounds Kit

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Jul 06 2017 01:37

I can somewhat understand putting specific generals in specific septs, so as to prevent you from taking Farsight with Shadowsun, with Longstrike tbh.

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jul 06 2017 01:52

Ash87 wrote:I can somewhat understand putting specific generals in specific septs, so as to prevent you from taking Farsight with Shadowsun, with Longstrike tbh.

It doesn't stop that though, it only stops them buffing each other.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jul 06 2017 03:42

Ye, only this doesn't work cross-sept:

Commander - Mont'ka/Kauyon
Cadre Fireblade - Volley of Fire
Commander Farsight - Mont'ka/Kauyon and Way of the short blade (reroll close combat to hit 1s/include shooting if it's against orks)
Darkstrider - Structural Analyse(-1T) and Fighting Retreat(shooting after falling back)
Stealthsuits - Homing Beacon
Devilfish Transporting
Firesight Marksman - buffing sniper drones BS
Longstrike - buffing Hammerheads BS
Remote Sensor Tower - Positional Relay(reroll 1s)

What still works cross-sept:
Markerlights
Drones - everything (incl. Shadowsun command drone and FW Technical drones repair)
For the Greater Good (overwatch)
Ethereals(even unique characters) - everything
Commander Shadowsun - everything, including Mont'ka/Kauyon (Though I suspect this might get FAQ'd later)
Tidewall/Orca/Manta Transporting

And since you can assing non unique characters any sept you want(And Shadowsun, Aun'Va, Darkstrider and Longstrike are all T'au sept), I can see some cross-sept armies without any or just with very minor negatives.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jul 06 2017 03:55

We have to leave our current (and maybe 7th edition) perspective:

Maybe Shadowsun gets/gives any buffs from/to T'au-Sept units but there are no interactions with lets say Farsight.

This might forbid cherry picking throughout the codex and offer some degree of formations.
We might can take heroes of the Greater Good without "overbuffing" our units. Or units get a change in stats while being from another Sept (not only a buff but maybe with a disadvantage too).
Do I recall correctly a detachment has to be from the same Sept?

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Jul 06 2017 03:59

Gragagrogog wrote:Commander Shadowsun - everything, including Mont'ka/Kauyon (Though I suspect this might get FAQ'd later)

I could maybe see that working on everything apart from the Farsight Enclaves, she is(was, who knows the current fluff) the commander of the third sphere and may still be supreme commander, so every sept would listen to her.

Ricordis wrote:Do I recall correctly a detachment has to be from the same Sept?

Nothing of the sort, only a keyword needs to match currently, and that for us is <T'au Empire>, in the codex we may see benefits if they do sub factions for all the main septs, but otherwise you can mix and match.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jul 06 2017 04:07

thesnailmaster wrote:I could maybe see that working on everything apart from the Farsight Enclaves, she is(was, who knows the current fluff) the commander of the third sphere and may still be supreme commander, so every sept would listen to her.

Even Farsight, kroot, vespid, drones have "T'au Empire" Keyword, it might be that "feminism infested GW and girlpower does not discriminate" for what I care, it works right now :D

And yea only whole units have to have the same sept, a detachment may include units from different septs.

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jul 06 2017 04:26

thesnailmaster wrote:
Ash87 wrote:I can somewhat understand putting specific generals in specific septs, so as to prevent you from taking Farsight with Shadowsun, with Longstrike tbh.

It doesn't stop that though, it only stops them buffing each other.

I wasn't as specific as I needed to be, but that's what I meant: it stops them from buffing one another.

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas

Post#27 » Jul 06 2017 04:51

I am curious what a new codex will do about unique characters. To the best of my knowledge the tau race is fairly short lived, 40 to 60 years with the only mentioned exception being O'Shovah. Farsights longer lifespan of a couple hundread years is due to his ancient blade stealing life from his slain foes not because tau medicine allows it.

With this in mind, shouldnt all tau characters aside from farsight be dead or extremely old in the apparent 100 years until current timeline?

I'm personally interested in a new, full roster of unique characters. At least a new Etherial Supreme.
Commander wiseblade

konradkurze202
Shas

Post#28 » Jul 06 2017 04:55

Shas'O Bentu'nan wrote:I am curious what a new codex will do about unique characters. To the best of my knowledge the tau race is fairly short lived, 40 to 60 years with the only mentioned exception being O'Shovah. Farsights longer lifespan of a couple hundread years is due to his ancient blade stealing life from his slain foes not because tau medicine allows it.

With this in mind, shouldnt all tau characters aside from farsight be dead or extremely old in the apparent 100 years until current timeline?

I'm personally interested in a new, full roster of unique characters. At least a new Etherial Supreme.

I've no doubt they will release some new characters, but I *seriously* doubt they will invalidate existing models. People put money and hours (or days if you paint slow like me) into their armies, to have the characters made illegal would be a horrible idea.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Jul 06 2017 05:13

Well, they could keep the old models and put a different characters in them(successors, following the same footsteps, blablabla...), or just say they invented immortality injections (which are very expensive to produce, so only a few will get them), but my guess is they will just ignore it.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Jul 06 2017 05:27

It's not that hard to justifiy these people still alive:
- Tau can simply cryo their main commanders and ethereals (Aun'Va now a hologram helps a lot here)
- Imperium can use stasis chambers
- Orks don't die of old age, AFAIK
- Aeldari are particularly immortal or have so longful lifespans 100 years are nothing to them
- Tyranids reabsorbs and reforms their units at will
- Necrons are immortal
- Chaos take some trips in the Warp and fast-travel those 100 years
-

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Jul 06 2017 07:01

I would be very doubtful if we get a separate codex for farsight. We'll probably just get the 1 book.

I doubt we'll see a codex this year, Tau are a pretty hated race. Even by GW

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#32 » Jul 06 2017 07:05

We were one of the only factions to get Codexes in both 6th and 7th. There's probably a reason for that.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Jul 06 2017 07:07

Vector Strike wrote:It's not that hard to justifiy these people still alive:
- Tau can simply cryo their main commanders and ethereals (Aun'Va now a hologram helps a lot here)
- Imperium can use stasis chambers
- Orks don't die of old age, AFAIK
- Aeldari are particularly immortal or have so longful lifespans 100 years are nothing to them
- Tyranids reabsorbs and reforms their units at will
- Necrons are immortal
- Chaos take some trips in the Warp and fast-travel those 100 years
-

Yeah, I don't think age has ever been an issue in 40k! :P

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Jul 06 2017 07:47

Jefffar wrote:We were one of the only factions to get Codexes in both 6th and 7th. There's probably a reason for that.

Obv Marines get one straight away ;)

But yeah honestly as much as I want Relics, Strats and Traits its fine for the other unloved Xeno's races to go first.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#35 » Jul 06 2017 10:04

Lechai Skull wrote:I would be very doubtful if we get a separate codex for farsight. We'll probably just get the 1 book.

I doubt we'll see a codex this year, Tau are a pretty hated race. Even by GW

Tau also sell a crapton of models. I think it's safe to say we won't have to wait too long.

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#36 » Jul 06 2017 10:30

It's pretty safe to assume all 10 codices this year will be power armor flavored. lol what's the statistics/mathhammer on that? :roll:

However, with the rumor of us getting new non Tau models, we might be earlier than expected...unless they dump all those units in a white dwarf.

I don't know how I feel with adding other races to my Tau army. It just feels weird to play with non Tau models. I mean Vespid sort of fit in but Kroot never really have for me.
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Return to “General Discussion”