Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#127 » Jul 22 2017 06:23

Ricordis wrote:At least they might not fill a slot for a weapon or support system.

They never did since 6e

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#128 » Jul 22 2017 06:31

Only for shas'ui XV8 suit. Or with specific systems like the [Twin linked fusion blaster]->[fabulous melee weapon], I don't expect this to not take weapon slots...

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#129 » Jul 23 2017 06:47

Watching winter SEO's SM codex review, I've noticed some units have decreased in points (some more than 10). So, I'm hopeful we'll see serious point changes among our units with our codex!

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#130 » Jul 23 2017 08:37

If anyone's interested, the armies that are mentioned in the First Strike starter set (beyond marines and death guard) are the Astra Militarum, AdMech, Knights, Craftworlds, Drukhari, Orks, Necrons, Tyranids (and Gene Cult) and Tau. So that gives, I think, some indication of the next Codexes GW has on deck, besides Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines and Death Guard.

Cheers!

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#131 » Jul 23 2017 09:03

noticed another thing on the new SM codex: if you put people from different <CHAPTER> or even without it in the same detachment of a unit with <CHAPTER>, the latter won't get any benefit of its own chapter tactics.

Likewise, you can put Aun'Va and a Riptide of your own <SEPT> in the same detachment, but them neither Aun'Va nor the Riptie will benefit from <SEPT> tactics :P
If they are in different detachments, they're good to go

shasocastris wrote:If anyone's interested, the armies that are mentioned in the First Strike starter set (beyond marines and death guard) are the Astra Militarum, AdMech, Knights, Craftworlds, Drukhari, Orks, Necrons, Tyranids (and Gene Cult) and Tau. So that gives, I think, some indication of the next Codexes GW has on deck, besides Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines and Death Guard.

Cheers!

very interesting!

Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Post#132 » Jul 24 2017 12:03

So... something has been really bothering me about the <sept> breakdowns. First, while there are small differences in the home world firewarriors come from aren't they fundamentally trained the same? I mean that would be like saying Marines from Paris Island (North Carolina) and Camp Pendleton (in California) can't fight together properly. Just doesn't make sense.

Seems like GW is trying to break the Tau down farther than is necessary. The sept worlds aren't like SM chapters dangit. All of this should really be happening one level up: Enclaves vs T'au empire yes separate out. They are different. Separate whatever 3rd group we probably end up with. But let's not be artificially breaking up our armies for no real reason.

Just a follow up: the SM chapters are more like different fighting forces. Take the army and the marines - yes they can fight together but their force org is different as is philosophy. Thus you would get the restrictions we see. But to say that, for instance a fire warrior from Vi'orla can't benefit from the leadership of an ethereal from T'au doesn't make sense. Am I missing something here?

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#133 » Jul 24 2017 12:23

If you had to pick between the Navy Seals or Joint Task Force 2 (Canadian) to send into an area in the winter who would you choose? Both are equally trained, but the Canadians definitely have an edge in their home field. Is it a massive advantage? I don't think so, but for gameplay purposes it's good enough to throw out some bonuses if broken down like that.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#134 » Jul 24 2017 01:02

The codex itself mentions that T'au from certain worlds exhibit particular characteristics either from environment or reputation. Check out pg 18 of the 7th Edition T'au codex for more information on that.

Aside from that, pretty much every army has their own "Septs" that excel at certain things. Imperial Guard have the Catachan Jungle Fighters. These are men that are born and trained on the death world Catachan or whatever. They're exceptionally skilled fighters. Or the Cadian troops. They are exceptionally skilled because Cadia is constantly under attack, so the men fighting there are battle-hardened.

Aside from lore and gameplay mechanics, this is also a marketing move for GW. It solidifies their IP as well as getting players excited about "their brand" of army. Instead of you being a T'au player like the next guy, you're a Tash'var T'au player or whatever.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#135 » Jul 24 2017 02:23

Yea, getting broken up to group is awesome.

Sure, It will make it harder to pull off piling all the named characters to the same list-but that in itself is absurd that every list has longstrike (or any other named dude who will turn out to be very good and spammed)

Giving subfactions their own slight edges opens up new possibilities-because what units and tactics are the bread and butter of T'au, may differ from those of Vior'la, who differ from those of Ke'lshan or Dal'yth.

The only downside-reducing named dude presence-is actually an upside-because this game need to be less named dude dependent. having every army of <faction> run <named dude> is rather silly.

xerxeshavelock
Shas'Saal

Post#136 » Jul 24 2017 03:44

Maybe instead of different planets they'll do different services, like fleet-based forces etc. They could differentiate them further by having new client races that are found in discrete parts of the Empire. Whatever they do though they won't prevent any T'au players from buying the new shiney.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#137 » Jul 24 2017 09:46

Named Dude presence is easily mitigated by making the mechanics fit a new character of your own, or attributing the bonus to experimental technology.

My Longstrike, for example, doesn't have Longstrike at all - instead, when Longstrike is taken, its the result of a Fire Warrior Commander testing out new and unique Experimental targeting gear (represented by an old Command Tank bit).

The T'au sept he belongs to just means that, if I'm bringing him, I'm treating his sept as T'au (even if I call it something else) and using it accordingly.

Just about every army in WH40k should have enough combatants that even unique characters can effectively be "copied" in terms of what they bring to the table, and there shouldn't be any more issue with fluff than taking a generic commander and giving him a name - you're just marrying mechanics to flavor, and so long as the balance required by the rules is maintained, and the fluff explained, there really ought to be no issue.

Ideally.

Folklore
Shas

Post#138 » Jul 24 2017 10:33

Ok this is mostly wild conjecture so take it with a grain of salt. I just want to bounce this off the community and see what people think. GW has created some plot holes/possibility space that feel too intentional to be nothing.

1. The missing Tau expansion fleet. Lost to a rift storm...
My thought: Could we possibly see an evil tau sub faction (like the dark eldar)? Maybe they finally awakened some physic potential? It just feels so strange that the T'au have 0 way to participate in the psychic phase even just to deny.

2. Some of the Tech that the imperium is rolling out seems reminiscent to T'au tech. Repulsor tank (reminds me of our hover tanks), those jetpack primaries marines (they are basically Crisis suits) and that new dreadnought (specifically its plasma gun looks so much like a ghoskeels ion raker)
My thought: Could the T'au be working with the imperium to help develop new tech?

Like I said GW made some negative space and I filled it with random thoughts. what do you folks think?

:fear: :fear: :fear:

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#139 » Jul 24 2017 10:41

The new imperium tau tech is explained by the admech grabbing whatever tau tech they run into and running even amist battle and abandoning thier allies.
That's even cannon they did it quite a lot recently.

As for the lost forth, it was done to allow tau to participate in event who are not in thier immidiate area, and give excuse to them fighting factions that are nowhere near them.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#140 » Jul 24 2017 11:16

The fact that the tech Cawl is producing looks so similar is most likely simply because GW is re-using a lot of assets right now.
Some of the stuff looks similar but works very differently. For example the Redemptor Dreadnoughts Plasma weapon looks VERY close to the Ghostkeels CIR but those two weapons work very very differently.

And for the Repulsor tank...it isn't really a hover tank even. It has no anti-grav plates, it simply pushes force downward to make it seem it hovers. The difference is that our Devilfish can just hover over our Firewarrior without anything happen, but the Repulsor tank crushes everyone beneath it (happened to an Iron Warrior in the Dark Imperium novel).

The reason why the Inceptors seem to be so similar to Crisis is because there is no difference between Jump Packs and Jet Packs anymore. Basically any tanky&shooty Fly Infantry would seem like Crisis Suits.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#141 » Jul 24 2017 12:39

Eh it still seems very heavily inspired though. I suspect it is a little intentional.

On another note If you know anything about AoS GW can barely drop a hint in a book and not make an army out of it. So almost certainly we'll see the whatever the 4th sphere is and it will be different enough to justify a release. I actually kind of think it will bring them back to their feral Mon'tau roots slightly. Alternatively they would just be a different twist on a normal Tau Empire. Honestly I don't want to see chaos Tau even though I think that's the direction GW is going.

I don't think the rumoured upcoming Tau release will be the Mon'tau though since that faction would be so different and Lady Atia herself has said this would be something for the Tau Empire specifically. However GW loves it's dual releases. It's not outside the possibility that we will have a themed release of something for the Tau Empire and a secret release of Chaos Tau at the same time. They did set this up perfectly, we know they want to focus on chaos in this edition, and it fits their MO of revealing hidden armies.

At the same time I also think in an even further future update the 4th also sets up the possibility for the non-chaos survivors to show up as a release. It doesn't even have to be all the 4th just a large chunk of it. These Tau would be a sort of hybrid between regular Tau and the chaos tau in that they had to do a lot to survive out there but miraculously it didn't break them. I would expect them to be very good at melee at this point and larger. What equipment they do have is worn down or modified in ramshackle ways to keep it going or if it was needed for entirely new stuff.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#142 » Jul 24 2017 12:59

I still believe that the reason the fleet disappeared is just so GW can make them appear somewhere else so T'au appear in a bigge campaign without giving them warp travel technology. I don't believe in chaos T'au at all.
However what could happen is that GW lets them have some timeskip shenanigans all over again so they aren't exactly the same kind of fleet that left the T'au Empire once they reappear.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#143 » Jul 24 2017 01:00

I would love it if the Tau went back in time and uplifted themselves hahah.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#144 » Jul 24 2017 05:17

Panzer wrote:I still believe that the reason the fleet disappeared is just so GW can make them appear somewhere else so T'au appear in a bigge campaign without giving them warp travel technology. I don't believe in chaos T'au at all.
However what could happen is that GW lets them have some timeskip shenanigans all over again so they aren't exactly the same kind of fleet that left the T'au Empire once they reappear.

What? Tau don't have warp travel tech? I thought they do, but can only make small jumps at a time because they lack navigators...

Return to “General Discussion”