Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Nowonmai
Shas

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1441 » Jan 18 2018 06:03

I believe all characters with AOE abilities affect themselves as well.
When the foe has certainty, confuse it.
When the foe seeks you out, device it
When the foe shows weakness, slay it.

Wes
Shas

Post#1442 » Jan 18 2018 06:13

Torch wrote:Really? I thought he couldn't affect himself. That's cool.

Pretty sure the index left out the Hammerhead keyword on his profile but an FAQ/errata fixed it.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#1443 » Jan 18 2018 06:31

So that means a longstrike shooting at a target with 5 markerlights hits on a 0+ :P

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1444 » Jan 18 2018 06:34

If I recall correctly, hasn't the targeting array in the Hammerhead's front turret mounting always represented its BS3+ (or BS4 in the old editions)?

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#1445 » Jan 18 2018 06:36

Arka0415 wrote:If I recall correctly, hasn't the targeting array in the Hammerhead's front turret mounting always represented its BS3+ (or BS4 in the old editions)?

The sun shark and the other shark both have targeting arrays and BS 4+ :/

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1446 » Jan 18 2018 06:57

Temennigru wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:If I recall correctly, hasn't the targeting array in the Hammerhead's front turret mounting always represented its BS3+ (or BS4 in the old editions)?

The sun shark and the other shark both have targeting arrays and BS 4+ :/

I just mean the Hammerhead, the flyers are both newer models. I think the Hammerhead has always been BS3+.

FoxZz
Shas

Post#1447 » Jan 18 2018 09:17

Skyrays need to fire Destroyer missiles instead of Seeker missiles and seeker missiles need to be cheaper. I think this would solve the problem. Currently only stormsurge can fire destroyer missiles.

About Suits, I think only big suits and flyers need BS3+ and also Shas'vre for Crisis and Stealth, that's it, nothing more.
Increase movement for XV8 and XV25 to make out for the loss of JSJ. 10" would be good.

Kroots need extra cover save and hard to hit rule so they can survive long enough to actually bring value to the army. Infiltrate rule for them would be nice too. Dogs need a counter charge systems.

Than it's mostly price changes and weapons stat changes priority are : Rail weapons, Plasma Rifle, Missile systems, Burst cannons.
I think more reliable multi-dammage is a good path of improvment.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#1448 » Jan 19 2018 12:51

What if a vehicle that was reduced to 0 wounds by a railgun automatically exploded, no dice roll?
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Strawless
Shas'Saal

Post#1449 » Jan 19 2018 01:37

MNGamer wrote:What if a vehicle that was reduced to 0 wounds by a railgun automatically exploded, no dice roll?

Yes, I would like to see this. Would make it very thematic and give another dimension to the game!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1450 » Jan 19 2018 02:47

Strawless wrote:
MNGamer wrote:What if a vehicle that was reduced to 0 wounds by a railgun automatically exploded, no dice roll?

Yes, I would like to see this. Would make it very thematic and give another dimension to the game!

I could see this being a stratagem, actually. The whole idea of Tau getting a huge host of flavorful abilities is so exciting, I have to say.

DominayTrix
Shas

Post#1451 » Jan 19 2018 06:52

Arka0415 wrote:
Strawless wrote:

I could see this being a stratagem, actually. The whole idea of Tau getting a huge host of flavorful abilities is so exciting, I have to say.

I would love it. I don't miss riptides nearly as much as I miss Longstrike one shotting IG tanks. Now he is little more than a distraction Carnifex in most games.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#1452 » Jan 19 2018 07:12

Arka0415 wrote:
Strawless wrote:

That would be fine but remember that our army can not only relay on Stratagems as CP are very limited.
For every other army Stratagems are cherry on the top of the pie... why Tau has to be army which pie is already limited resource.

Nowonmai
Shas

Post#1453 » Jan 19 2018 07:22

I really like pie.
When the foe has certainty, confuse it.
When the foe seeks you out, device it
When the foe shows weakness, slay it.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1454 » Jan 19 2018 07:51

Wedrujacy wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:I could see this being a stratagem, actually. The whole idea of Tau getting a huge host of flavorful abilities is so exciting, I have to say.

That would be fine but remember that our army can not only relay on Stratagems as CP are very limited.
For every other army Stratagems are cherry on the top of the pie... why Tau has to be army which pie is already limited resource.

Except for Imperial Guard, which can easily field a 15CP army that gets CPs back on a 5+ when both they, and their opponent, use stratagems.

We might be able to do it too- if Tau infantry become competitive you will see Brigades at 2000 points and at least 9 CP lists at 1500.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#1455 » Jan 19 2018 08:02

Arka0415 wrote:
Wedrujacy wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:I could see this being a stratagem, actually. The whole idea of Tau getting a huge host of flavorful abilities is so exciting, I have to say.

Except for Imperial Guard, which can easily field a 15CP army that gets CPs back on a 5+ when both they, and their opponent, use stratagems.

We might be able to do it too- if Tau infantry become competitive you will see Brigades at 2000 points and at least 9 CP lists at 1500.

I do agree with you, Arka!

Also... why is harder to get CP with T'au than with space marines? or with Eldar? or GK? or Necrons? I think we have 3 very interesting Troop choices, really different from each other, and that with one or two tweaks on weapon profiles, points values, special rules and Doctrines/Stratagems, all 3 of them (not you, Strike Team with Carbines) have a lot of potential to not just be a fee to have 7+ CP lists, as they almost are now, but to be an actual useful and potent unit!
And remember, that they are still fairly cheap!

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#1456 » Jan 19 2018 08:11

JancoBCN wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
Wedrujacy wrote:That would be fine but remember that our army can not only relay on Stratagems as CP are very limited.

I do agree with you, Arka!

Also... why is harder to get CP with T'au than with space marines? or with Eldar? or GK? or Necrons? I think we have 3 very interesting Troop choices, really different from each other, and that with one or two tweaks on weapon profiles, points values, special rules and Doctrines/Stratagems, all 3 of them (not you, Strike Team with Carbines) have a lot of potential to not just be a fee to have 7+ CP lists, as they almost are now, but to be an actual useful and potent unit!
And remember, that they are still fairly cheap!

Our issues aren't so much with our troops as with the heavy support. If broadsides were around 100pts each with weapons we would probably see more brigades.

The main issue with our troops is the lack of special weapons and the support turrets are too expensive for what they do

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#1457 » Jan 19 2018 08:13

JancoBCN wrote:Also... why is harder to get CP with T'au than with space marines? or with Eldar? or GK? or Necrons? I think we have 3 very interesting Troop choices, really different from each other, and that with one or two tweaks on weapon profiles, points values, special rules and Doctrines/Stratagems, all 3 of them (not you, Strike Team with Carbines) have a lot of potential to not just be a fee to have 7+ CP lists, as they almost are now, but to be an actual useful and potent unit!

I'd love to see that. The issue is just that 8th Edition is all about min-maxing- get your big guns on heavy units while spamming cheap meatshields. The top lists are like that- Guardsmen, Conscripts, Cultists, Poxwalkers, etc. screening for Primarchs, Daemon Princes, Greater Daemons, etc.

Fire Warriors are awesome units, but we'd need to see a major change (lower points or good sept tactics) or great synergies (re-rolling hits aura or +1 to hit aura) to make them really viable. The role of troops is to either multiply buffs across a huge number of bodies (Poxwalkers) or to act as a screen for more valuable units (Guardsmen). Fire Warriors totally fill the first role, but we have no buffs that are really worth giving them. The second role, screening, should be the domain of Kroot but Kroot just aren't as good at screening as Kroot Hounds which aren't Troops.

Nymphomanius wrote:Our issues aren't so much with our troops as with the heavy support. If broadsides were around 100pts each with weapons we would probably see more brigades.

The main issue with our troops is the lack of special weapons and the support turrets are too expensive for what they do

I think the issue is really that we lack effective Troops, Elites, and Heavy Support. Every good choice in our faction (Commanders, Pathfinders, Gun Drones, Y'vahra) is HQ or Fast Attack. Honestly, I don't think Broadsides are a ton worse than XV8s, both are just really outclassed by Commanders.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#1458 » Jan 19 2018 08:33

Nymphomanius wrote:
Our issues aren't so much with our troops as with the heavy support. If broadsides were around 100pts each with weapons we would probably see more brigades.

I agree on that 100%. Many lists I start thinking on a Brigade until I face the Heavy Support role slot issue. Then I use 2 Batallions Instead.

Arka0415 wrote:
JancoBCN wrote:Also... why is harder to get CP with T'au than with space marines? or with Eldar? or GK? or Necrons? I think we have 3 very interesting Troop choices, really different from each other, and that with one or two tweaks on weapon profiles, points values, special rules and Doctrines/Stratagems, all 3 of them (not you, Strike Team with Carbines) have a lot of potential to not just be a fee to have 7+ CP lists, as they almost are now, but to be an actual useful and potent unit!

I'd love to see that. The issue is just that 8th Edition is all about min-maxing- get your big guns on heavy units while spamming cheap meatshields. The top lists are like that- Guardsmen, Conscripts, Cultists, Poxwalkers, etc. screening for Primarchs, Daemon Princes, Greater Daemons, etc.

Fire Warriors are awesome units, but we'd need to see a major change (lower points or good sept tactics) or great synergies (re-rolling hits aura or +1 to hit aura) to make them really viable. The role of troops is to either multiply buffs across a huge number of bodies (Poxwalkers) or to act as a screen for more valuable units (Guardsmen). Fire Warriors totally fill the first role, but we have no buffs that are really worth giving them. The second role, screening, should be the domain of Kroot but Kroot just aren't as good at screening as Kroot Hounds which aren't Troops.

Fire warriors have a high range and strength, which with the proper auras can become an option (maybe even 7 pts each?).
Also, I love the concept of Breachers, but they need too much help to work to be competitive.
And regarding screening units, I think I like a lot more the Kroot Carnivores than the Hounds. One key aspect is that they are troop, but the "Stealthy Hunters" special rule gives them a lot more flexibility in screening/Deep strike denial, and also in other uses (grab some early objectives, make some charges on first turn), and they can defend an objective while shooting with their Boltguns. Also, they have the Keyword Infantry, so cover is way easier, and Ethereal Auras actually affect them.

That said, they all need changes. Currently I am not happy with either choice.

Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Our issues aren't so much with our troops as with the heavy support. If broadsides were around 100pts each with weapons we would probably see more brigades.

I think the issue is really that we lack effective Troops, Elites, and Heavy Support. Every good choice in our faction (Commanders, Pathfinders, Gun Drones, Y'vahra) is HQ or Fast Attack. Honestly, I don't think Broadsides are a ton worse than XV8s, both are just really outclassed by Commanders.

Regarding Elites, Crisis Teams are not that far in competitiveness, if you use a flamer team with a Homing Beacon Stealth team, you have 2 elites right there. Add some Marksman for 24p and you got there.
That said, I hope kroot units become competitive (or at least playable) and help us out in that Elite Slot! (not to talk about the good old Riptide)

And about Heavy supports.... I cannot even try to defend any unit. So, yeah... no T'au Brigades for the time being! :sad:

Return to “General Discussion”