Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 356

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#91 » Jul 18 2017 04:22

Farsight Enclaves
The Grand Mont'ka:
The Farsight Enclaves and their famous leader have become the masters of Mont'ka. While other Sept's fight with ferocity or close range assaults. There is three thing that separates the Grand Mont'ka from a simple shock attack. Surprise combined with overwhelming firepower, and momentum. A Grand Mont'ka's assault doesn't end but picks up momentum as the battle goes on and this is why even the intense but short lived assaults of even Kel'shan or the raw untamed attacks of Vior'los while ferocious in their own rights do not live up to timings of the Enclaves. If any one of these aspects go poorly timed the whole assault can fall apart.

Unit's that arrive from reserves hit on a BS of 2+ and can re-roll 1's until next turn.

The Path of the Fire Blade:
Farsight Enclaves are melee experts and every unit gains +1 WS. Battlesuits of all types can purchase onager gauntlets and fusion blades regardless of normal restrictions.

Stratagem:
Farsight's Wisdom (1cp): Ever since the earliest days Farsight is good at instilling not only trust in his men, but teaching them that a Mont'ka has to keep momentum and to keep your momentum you need to be precise. To be precise you need to think clearly and calmly. And even in the heat of battle he maintains his composure and always instructed in his men the same virtues so they may read the battle and see focal crux points to keep their momentum and their lives.

A Tau unit may reroll it's morale check again and this time with +2 to it's leadership.
Last edited by Jacket on Jul 18 2017 04:28, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Overheal
Shas'Saal
Posts: 177

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#92 » Jul 18 2017 04:24

Aren't reserve rolls obsolete?

I would think a better thing for them would be the ability to call Mont'Ka once per commander in play.

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 356

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#93 » Jul 18 2017 04:27

I meant they hit with a BS of 2+ the way I worded it was weird lol. Fixed.

User avatar
Overheal
Shas'Saal
Posts: 177

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#94 » Jul 18 2017 04:38

Oh, yeah, no way would they do that. Talk about an alpha strike, everything from your gun drones to your crisis suits hitting on 2+ when they drop in? Nnnnnot happening :::(

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 356

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#95 » Jul 18 2017 05:39

Overheal wrote:Oh, yeah, no way would they do that. Talk about an alpha strike, everything from your gun drones to your crisis suits hitting on 2+ when they drop in? Nnnnnot happening :::(


How about 3+ then, but it can't be modified by any penalties? If something has a higher BS then it won't go lower to BS3+

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1546

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#96 » Jul 18 2017 07:29

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves with possible Sept abilities- Imperial Fists now ignore cover and get re-rolls against buildings. Don't expect dramatically-powerful abilities, but rather small perks.

If Tau just got half of the Salamanders' perk (maybe re-roll one hit per unit per shooting phase) that would be an excellent and balanced Sept ability I think. But I wouldn't expect major Ballistic Skill buffs or new unit abilities.

User avatar
Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui
Posts: 596

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#97 » Jul 18 2017 08:16

Arka0415 wrote:I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves with possible Sept abilities- Imperial Fists now ignore cover and get re-rolls against buildings. Don't expect dramatically-powerful abilities, but rather small perks.

If Tau just got half of the Salamanders' perk (maybe re-roll one hit per unit per shooting phase) that would be an excellent and balanced Sept ability I think. But I wouldn't expect major Ballistic Skill buffs or new unit abilities.


Yeah, c'mon, guys! We shouldn't presume we could even get half the special snowflake rules as Xenos. What do we think we are, MARINES?

User avatar
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 159

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#98 » Jul 18 2017 08:20

Somehow maybe GW is skewed in that regard :D

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1546

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#99 » Jul 18 2017 08:23

Unusualsuspect wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves with possible Sept abilities- Imperial Fists now ignore cover and get re-rolls against buildings. Don't expect dramatically-powerful abilities, but rather small perks.

If Tau just got half of the Salamanders' perk (maybe re-roll one hit per unit per shooting phase) that would be an excellent and balanced Sept ability I think. But I wouldn't expect major Ballistic Skill buffs or new unit abilities.


Yeah, c'mon, guys! We shouldn't presume we could even get half the special snowflake rules as Xenos. What do we think we are, MARINES?


Ah, I wasn't being that glum, don't worry! It could be part of GW's balancing policy though to give "all-rounder" armies like Marines powerful perks, while "specialized" armies like Tau get weaker ones? Just a thought.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 323

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#100 » Jul 18 2017 08:42

The perks are pretty straight-forward to the chapters' identities:

We have master crafted weapons!
=> rerolls

We are stealthy!
=> -1 to hit for enemies

We are fast chargers!
=> faster and "chargier"

I think you get it.
The moment you are able to explain a septs' identity in 5 words you also might have found the Sept-rule.

User avatar
Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal
Posts: 57

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#101 » Jul 18 2017 09:54

Bork'an:
Warriors from this great sept are learned and erudite.

Rule: Lawyerly
You may read one rule out of your Codex or your opponent's as RAW instead of RAI.


:P ;)

No takers??? Awwww
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

User avatar
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 159

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#102 » Jul 18 2017 09:58

Ha! :D somehow I think GW may take exception to that rule.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 323

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#103 » Jul 18 2017 10:09

Or broken due bad wording...

User avatar
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 380

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#104 » Jul 18 2017 10:10

Shas'Bro wrote:Bork'an:
Warriors from this great sept are learned and erudite.

Rule: Lawyerly
You may read one rule out of your Codex or your opponent's as RAW instead of RAI.


:P ;)

No takers??? Awwww


Air from this sept's homeworld contains 2% opium.

Rule: Stoned
You can declare your INFANTRY units are pretending death at the end of your movement phase, you can lay the models flat to mark this. While in this state, enemy unit's can't attack them in any way, as it would violate Geneva conventions.

User avatar
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal
Posts: 105
Contact:

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#105 » Jul 19 2017 04:52

idea?

Sa'cea: excell in urban warfare

Sa'cea sept models get their Rapid Fire ability at 3/4th range instead of 1/2

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3107

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#106 » Jul 19 2017 04:56

I fear that if they concentrate on urban warfare for Sa'Cea then we'll see something like "ignore Cover in ruins" and "add +1 to cover in ruins" which would be pretty strong depending on the board but overall rather underwhelming imo.

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 1752

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#107 » Jul 19 2017 05:18

TBH it will make them the gods of Cities of Death.

And Cities of Death is the best variation in the 8th book by far, and everyone should always play it even if you don't have many ruins.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3107

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#108 » Jul 19 2017 05:21

boomwolf wrote:TBH it will make them the gods of Cities of Death.

And Cities of Death is the best variation in the 8th book by far, and everyone should always play it even if you don't have many ruins.

Just slightly better than Imperial Fists since those ignore cover of any kind with their Chapter Tactic already. :P

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests