Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#73 » Jul 11 2017 11:33

Sorry I'm with Overheal here, Jacket.
New stuff is good but what you try to say is basically "rip off all the stuff from other companies/franchises/whatever and throw them at T'au because some people like them".
Yeah, no thanks. I want T'au not a fusion of n concepts. You want transformer? Fine. Build some. That's called doing conversions. It doesn't have to be part of the original models...and shouldn't be as far as it concerns me.

That's only one of the bunch of things you posted. I'd like to type more but it would be just another wall of text and I fear it would derail the thread completely (and up in a not to so friendly tone eventually) so that has to be enough.
Overheal is doing a good job at taking your post apart already anyway. :D (and just for the record, I don't agree with 100% of what Overheal says either, but even less with what you say)

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#74 » Jul 14 2017 11:17

That all said I want to expand and say I am not unkeen to the idea of drone tanks and an expansion on drones in general. Drones in the general culture are pretty popular, and I'd like to see the option to take an army that consists mostly of drones. Gun drone spam was a passtime in Dawn of War DC. I'm willing to bet they have some ideas in mind, I just can't think of any as I feel just about every field role they could play, they are playing except troops.

Hell, they should just take DX6 Remoras and mainstream them, which wouldn't be objectively complicated to do, but you have to break the weapons/hull into more parts to work on a typical sprue/injection mold process. Remoras are gorgeous in their own respect and are a nice side-play to Piranhas. They allow T'au to greatly expand their flyer capability without up-scaling to a Barracuda or multiple Shark fighter/bombers.

I'd like to see some piece of signature support that allows Deny the Witch. I don't think it will happen, despite fluff about Tau and their apparent inoculation from the Warp.

The Orca going mainstream would be the way you get a "helicopter" type transport for the T'au. Considering the Orca is OOP this isn't necessarily off the table but then again, how often did anyone read up on the Orca and think "every T'au army will need one of these." But yeah it could transport something like 6 crisis suits at a time. With the new manta strike rules though I've yet to see the major tactical advantage to justify going out and procuring one.

Like here's the scale, and here is the kit: as big as it is, those suits are a tight squeeze. Link: https://flic.kr/p/iUYCZ6

Vanguard Void Suits, the XV46, I'd like to see that, I just think Forgeworld will do it first.

Kroot/Vespid Characters would be an interesting add as well that wouldn't hurt anything.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#75 » Jul 14 2017 08:20

Legit all I want is beam swords. Probably won't happen though because making new molds is crazy expensive. If the fusion swords don't come back I might rage quit. Brightsword is my favorite commander.

Ok I also want sniper drones to not be so God damn awful. They're literally just fire warriors who can shoot characters at a longer range. Give us some ap, higher damage, or even a 6+ mortal wound like every other sniper in the game.
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#76 » Jul 14 2017 11:26

With the 6+ mortal wound (which I believe most other sniper units have) I would almost be tempted to drop the 40 bucks. Or convert normal drones.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#77 » Jul 17 2017 04:11

I assume they'll put something back in the unit. They fit a nice niche on the tabletop and I've bought 2 sets now.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#78 » Jul 18 2017 12:46

What about Sept Tactics? Been looking at the Chapter Tactics for SM coming out and they are - really good. Raven Guard chapter all have a -1 to be hit from 12"+, White Scars can all charge after falling back and get extra distance to run, additionally their bikes can advance, shoot, and charge in the same turn.

Firstly, all White Scars biker units move faster when advancing, allowing you to close in on the foe and outflank your enemies. Secondly, all White Scars units – including Dreadnoughts! – can charge in the same turn that they fall back. This is huge, effectively allowing the White Scars to guarantee priority in assaults and letting powerful close combat units engage and re-engage at will without getting bogged down.

This is going to be deadly with Reivers, who, as we’ve mentioned in their tactica, can use Shock Grenades to prevent enemies from firing Overwatch, or stymie units that inflict damage when they charge such as the Ironclad Dreadnought and Assault Centurions. Inceptors, in particular, are one of the most dangerous units that a White Scars general can field, capable of shooting and charging when they fall back thanks to having both Fly and the White Scars Chapter Tactic. Jaghatai Khan would be proud!

As well as Chapter Tactics, there’s a range of ways to further customise your White Scars. Kor’sarro Khan is as powerful as he ever was, and his unique ability For the Khan! boosts the Strength of charging White Scars units – combined with their Chapter Tactics, it’s going to be very hard to defend against getting repeatedly charged by a White Scars army. The White Scars Stratagem, Born in the Saddle, allows White Scars bikers to advance, shoot, and charge, meaning that each biker has a potential threat range of 26″, and you’ll be able to hit your opponent hard before they’re even able to react.

Finally, the White Scars have a unique Warlord Trait and Relic adding yet more powerful options to the army. Deadly Hunter allows your Warlord to deal mortal wounds when charging, while the Mantle of the Stormseer makes it easier for White Scars psykers to cast Smite and unleash the power of the storm.
Reivers, on the other hand, are a versatile and powerful unit in a Raven Guard army and function well with other assault units; they’re almost as mobile as jump troops with their grapnel launchers and grav-chutes, with some handy abilities like Terror Troops and shock grenades. If you want to make your own Raven Guard characters, their unique Warlord Trait, Silent Stalker, prevents enemies from firing Overwatch, while the Raven’s Fury Chapter relic allows a jump pack character to move at blistering speeds and reroll charge ranges – combined, you’ll have a potent and deadly character assassin.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#79 » Jul 18 2017 02:21

So I just realized something that worries me a bit about our upcoming Codex, particularly as it relates to what used to be effectively its own faction with its own unique set of relics... Yes, I'm talking about the Farsight Enclaves.

Given what we've been told regarding the SM Codex, specifically that there will be 6 generic relics available to all with 1 relic specific/unique to each Chapter.

...How will that structure play out for the T'au?

If it follows the same format, you're looking at 6 generic Relics (which FE used to be able to access before), and... a single relic for the Farsight Enclaves sept. One.

What will happen to the rest of the Farsight Enclave Relics, though? Converted into Strategems, maybe?

I could see the Mirror Codex easily converted into a Stratagem, and even the terrain-modifying drone could potential work as a Stratagem.

I'd imagine the Earth Caste Piloting Array will stop being widely available, and become a O'vesa unique.

...Fusion Blades, though, have me a bit stumped. I suppose it could work as a Stratagem ("Spend X CP, and one unit's Fusion Blasters gain the following melee profile..."), but it strikes me as awkward.

On the plus side, this also means that (depending on the number of Septs they introduce beyond the 3 known GW-supported Septs) we're looking at potentially entirely new Relics to explore...

Thoughts?

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#80 » Jul 18 2017 02:32

I don't think they will screw over FSE in any way.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#81 » Jul 18 2017 02:35

It honestly never made much sense for FSE to have access to more signature systems than regular T'au Empire armies. FSE are supposed to be cut off from most of the high-tech producing worlds from the T'au Empire.
Hell they shouldn't even have had access to things like FW Riptides, Stormsurge and Ghostkeel if we are honest.

So by that I'm fine with Farsight having only one additional "relic". The more interesting things would be the Sept specific rule and the stratagem anyway.

About the Sept rules...well now that we know all the C:SM Chapter tactics we've seen that they can be quite awesome in effect and design....or very boring and unimaginative (BT, IH and IF for example).
So everything is possible.
After being so hyped from the UM and RG Chapter tactics I now went and stopped expecting anything too great. I just hope they don't ruin Sa'Cea for me because I don't feel like re-painting half of my models (I'm really not too invested with the fluff of any specific Sept since there is barely fluff about them so far). :P

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#82 » Jul 18 2017 03:04

Okay with the total rules out for chapter tactics I am going to give it a shot again.

Kel'shan Sept:
Earth and Fire Strike
Kel'shan is known for their potent combination of high technology, and close range siege breaker assaults. They have perfected a technique only possible due to their advanced weaponry and in particular the fabled next generation ZERO system. It is a distributed AI network capable of analysing and predicting short views into the future and relaying this information to anything up linked to the suit. Only the Kel'shan Tau seem to posses the inheres skill/ability to pilot suits and vehicles with the ZERO system and attempts to teach other Tau have ended in disaster. Combine this deadly new device with their infamous close range siege break through and they have called it the Earth and Fire Strike.

When a Kel'shan unit fires a weapon that is in half range it may re-roll any misses.

They may take an additional piece of wargear, vehicle upgrade, signature system on their battlesuits, vehicles, and hq's.

Stratagem:
Fires of Damocles (2cp): Kel'shan have always had a strained relationship with the aliens of any sort, but in the aftermath of the Damocles crusade they have gained a hint of zealotry that many Tau are beginning to find worrying. After the grand mourning the T'au of Kel'shan got to work analysing and perfecting every last mili-second of footage they could to help input into ZERO, but due to a limited amount of space it can't uplink all the time. With appropriate orders ZERO can fully uplink to the database to ensure even greater accuracy and lethality of Tau weaponry. This Stratagem allows a single unit to add +1 to it's BS for one turn.

If this is too strong I have a downside for Fires of Damocles, but given how strong some of the marine ones are this seems entirely reasonable.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#83 » Jul 18 2017 03:08

Hah, with those rules I'd probably switch over to paint my army in Kel'shan colors since I prefer close range shooting anyway. :D

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#84 » Jul 18 2017 03:12

Panzer wrote:Hah, with those rules I'd probably switch over to paint my army in Kel'shan colors since I prefer close range shooting anyway. :D

Best thing about Tau all it is is sept markings. So easy lol. Don't need to paint the whole scheme like a chapter, but yeah it is cool.

Kel'shan Sept is so cool. Can't wait to see what GW does with them. I'll take a break and think of some stuff for T'au and FSE later.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#85 » Jul 18 2017 03:20

Jacket wrote:Best thing about Tau all it is is sept markings. So easy lol. Don't need to paint the whole scheme like a chapter, but yeah it is cool.

You can even just put some precut sticker tape on them, forget painting them! Or even forget the sticker too! Just play them as if they were whatever sept you want. Also, even if you paint the sept markings to be a specific sept, still play them as any sept you want bcause no will know the difference! The possibilities! Oh my.....

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#86 » Jul 18 2017 03:26

Gragagrogog wrote:
Jacket wrote:Best thing about Tau all it is is sept markings. So easy lol. Don't need to paint the whole scheme like a chapter, but yeah it is cool.

You can even just put some precut sticker tape on them, forget painting them! Or even forget the sticker too! Just play them as if they were whatever sept you want. Also, even if you paint the sept markings to be a specific sept, still play them as any sept you want bcause no will know the difference! The possibilities! Oh my.....

I know lol. I do my own Sept markings now. They are pretty easy honestly. I am not so confident about my ability to do space marine chapter symbols freehand though. Too much pain for that. I would just use decals.

However like you said. People barely know anything about Tau rules let alone their markings. Also Reece and co are enforcing a strict paint your models appropriately. So if you have two detachments of chapters paint them so people can tell they are different.

It would be funny to troll him and take two two armies painted the same except for the sept markings. :biggrin:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#87 » Jul 18 2017 03:36

Eh I honestly don't plan to change my Sept all the time. I paint it for myself, not to get some advantage in the rules. If I decide to paint my army according to one Septs color they'll be part of that Sept forever.
Me considering to change my armies Sept now is a one time only thing since Sept rules didn't exist before.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#88 » Jul 18 2017 03:51

I'd be surprised if any1 would even try to enforce different sept colors. Tau color schemes were never "knight colors" in any way, they are cammo, adapted to environment in which they happen to fight. Multiple septs cooperating to conquer a planet would have the same paintjob, if they prepared for it.

Though I would be fine tournament organisers locking down the whole army to one sept (or if GW does that with codex, with faction bonuses only availible to sept-homogenous army)

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#89 » Jul 18 2017 03:55

While its not clear without a book in hand, the WH40K Social Media manager has made comments suggesting that your whole detachment would have to come from the same Chapter/Sept, so you won't get a modgepodge of mixed chapter armies going forward.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#90 » Jul 18 2017 04:02

Overheal wrote:While its not clear without a book in hand, the WH40K Social Media manager has made comments suggesting that your whole detachment would have to come from the same Chapter/Sept, so you won't get a modgepodge of mixed chapter armies going forward.

Ye that would be logical thing to do... So far it's decided on per unit basis(with drones). The only reason I would dislike that would be Longstrike. He feels like what hammerhead was supposed to be this edition, he's not rly a "special character" in the same way as others are...

Return to “General Discussion”