Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#289 » Aug 31 2017 05:08

Astra Militarum is coming for Imperium so the AM - TAU thing could still happen... Tau in December?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#290 » Aug 31 2017 05:15

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Astra Militarum is coming for Imperium so the AM - TAU thing could still happen... Tau in December?

lol
You do realise that AM had to come eventually and that it has nothing to do with the T'au release?

The lists were correct up till the Death Guard release...which is obvious since the lists got "leaked" after GW announced the everything up to the Death Guard release. Both lists were wrong about the next for releases (AdMech, Craftworlds, Tyranids and AM).
Sure they were on the list, but it was very likely that SOMETHING that's on that list would get their release this year so that's no indication of the lists being right. The rumour monger just got lucky there.

Also how often do I have to repeat it? Both rumoured lists already got debunked as being wrong by a far more reliable source.
Could we still get our Codex this year? Sure the possibility is there. With only 2 remaining Codices it's not extremely likely though I'd say.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#291 » Aug 31 2017 05:21

:P Just trying to throw a little bit of gasoline on a small spark of hope!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#292 » Aug 31 2017 05:23

Hope is evil. Kill all the hope! :P

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#293 » Aug 31 2017 06:21

For one, I like to see Tau only being released next year, and after Chapter Approved. This could mean the book will already have any relevant FAQ applied to it and recude the need for (too many) corrections later. Also, the community keeps giving GW feedback, which means an even more balanced book when it is released :nice:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#294 » Aug 31 2017 06:31

Yeah if we are going to be one of the last two Codices before the Chapter approved I wouldn't mind waiting until after the Chapter approved. Potentially with a alien mercenary release wave. :P

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#295 » Aug 31 2017 09:30

Panzer wrote:Hope is evil. Kill all the hope! :P

I try, but it keeps making its armor saves!

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#296 » Aug 31 2017 10:32

Vector Strike wrote:For one, I like to see Tau only being released next year, and after Chapter Approved. This could mean the book will already have any relevant FAQ applied to it and recude the need for (too many) corrections later. Also, the community keeps giving GW feedback, which means an even more balanced book when it is released :nice:

There is logic to this, and we'd get a more even spread of re-balancing, though, many will still be at something of a disadvantage compared to at least 6 codices without <subfaction> rules. Chapter Approved would be an ideal place to distribute a ubiquitous set of rules based on Chapter Tactics.

Panzer wrote:Yeah if we are going to be one of the last two Codices before the Chapter approved I wouldn't mind waiting until after the Chapter approved. Potentially with a alien mercenary release wave. :P
Out of curiosity, has Atia re-addressed her side comment anywhere other than that one cryptic reply?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#297 » Aug 31 2017 11:26

SinisterSamurai wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:For one, I like to see Tau only being released next year, and after Chapter Approved. This could mean the book will already have any relevant FAQ applied to it and recude the need for (too many) corrections later. Also, the community keeps giving GW feedback, which means an even more balanced book when it is released :nice:

There is logic to this, and we'd get a more even spread of re-balancing, though, many will still be at something of a disadvantage compared to at least 6 codices without <subfaction> rules. Chapter Approved would be an ideal place to distribute a ubiquitous set of rules based on Chapter Tactics.

Panzer wrote:Yeah if we are going to be one of the last two Codices before the Chapter approved I wouldn't mind waiting until after the Chapter approved. Potentially with a alien mercenary release wave. :P
Out of curiosity, has Atia re-addressed her side comment anywhere other than that one cryptic reply?

Nop, I'm basing my hopes on the White Dwarf leak we've seen. though hope might be a bit too much for what I'm actually feeling lol

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#298 » Aug 31 2017 12:23

Lord Mayhem wrote:

I try, but it keeps making its armor saves!

That's why you need to use a railgun.

In regards to the codex, my profound hope is that it waits long enough for the basic balance level for 8th to be figured out and planned around.

This may be the one edition where everybody has an equal chance to win if things continue in the direction they are going.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#299 » Aug 31 2017 12:44

my feeling is they are trying to figure out what to do with Tau b/c we lack a psychic phase. Their current work around for it is "SAVIOR PROTOCOLS" and "Markerlights"+Seekers/Destroyers. In fact ML are kind of the answer to Auras too (reverse auras).

There are just a lot of interactions that flow in odd ways compared to other armies its a more difficult balancing act.

Right now the only balance is 'heavy fire' which is why Commanders and Drones are so prevalent b/c they hold the weight of fire for our army.

Keyword BATTLESUIT, XV8, GHOSTKEEL, etc. are directions they are exploring right now.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#300 » Aug 31 2017 12:58

Nah I don't feel like that. Psychic powers give a lot of utility but ultimately shooting was always what won games in 40k. We didn't have problems being one of the top tier armies without psychic phase in 7th and I don't see why we should have problems in 8th.
Especially now that there is a new element to 40k with the Stratagems there is less 'need' of a psychic phase than ever before.

ML also are no answer to auras. ML existed way before all those auras so if anything auras are just imitating MLs (albeit a bit differently).

No, T'au aren't late because they have problems figuring anything out. They are late because it's what GW decided.

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#301 » Aug 31 2017 12:58

Not just lacking a Psychic phase, against strong assault based armies we lack a fight phase too, since we can't really tie them up effectively like we can with other shooty based armies.

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#302 » Aug 31 2017 05:43

I've now played quite a few games on 8th and think we desperately need a new codex . Whilst I am enjoying playing tau in doubles where our deficiencies are less obvious, I am finding the limitation of what we can bring to be even remotely competitive annoying.I find outside of flamer crisis suits , commanders and stealth suits with homing beacons everything else seems mediocre . I've even found gun drones to be limited with poor morale and shooting limitations. Markerlights are pointless due to low survivability particularly in the meta when guard can bring dozens of units which means you will need to take a crazy amount of markerlight sources for them to be effective. Whilst you can make competitive tau lists they are neither fun nor even remotely close to the fluff . I am hoping the chapter approved patches things up enough to carry us over to the new codex and at least makes our bigger suits playable .i fear however that commanders will be nerfed leaving us with no real viable units .

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#303 » Sep 01 2017 02:39

Supershrew wrote:I've now played quite a few games on 8th and think we desperately need a new codex . Whilst I am enjoying playing tau in doubles where our deficiencies are less obvious, I am finding the limitation of what we can bring to be even remotely competitive annoying.

It's fun how different are the opinions of what is good or not. For example, yesterday I played against Space Marines and tried out the XV8 flamer unit. I rolled 35 dice against his Devastator squad, 23 wounded, did 1 damage. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Will try them once again against Nids, but somehow I feel that if I landed the Crisis with 2xCIB+ATS I would decimated the devastators. I plyed 8 games of 8th edition and have 7 wins and even if a lots of minuses are obvious, for me my army works really well.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#304 » Sep 01 2017 03:28

Studioworks wrote:
Supershrew wrote:I've now played quite a few games on 8th and think we desperately need a new codex . Whilst I am enjoying playing tau in doubles where our deficiencies are less obvious, I am finding the limitation of what we can bring to be even remotely competitive annoying.

It's fun how different are the opinions of what is good or not. For example, yesterday I played against Space Marines and tried out the XV8 flamer unit. I rolled 35 dice against his Devastator squad, 23 wounded, did 1 damage. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Will try them once again against Nids, but somehow I feel that if I landed the Crisis with 2xCIB+ATS I would decimated the devastators. I plyed 8 games of 8th edition and have 7 wins and even if a lots of minuses are obvious, for me my army works really well.

You should see though that doing only 1 damage after 23 wounds is not even near being average against Devastators lol

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#305 » Sep 01 2017 04:22

Panzer wrote:
Studioworks wrote:

You should see though that doing only 1 damage after 23 wounds is not even near being average against Devastators lol

No, but really. I was expecting small amount of damage, but just one killed, I started to laugh. Haha

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#306 » Sep 01 2017 04:44

Studioworks wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Studioworks wrote:

No, but really. I was expecting small amount of damage, but just one killed, I started to laugh. Haha

I've used them a couple of times and they've been great, especially against 5 man marine squads. Once you've wiped a squad in a round of shooting with them, they have a big psychological impact too, it makes your enemy think twice about what he charges and when. Their impact is more than just the damage they do for me.

Return to “General Discussion”