Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#2143 » Feb 15 2018 06:40

Temennigru wrote:
AenarIT wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:I agree with the optimism in recent posts. I too will be nose deep in the new codex for many reasons: learning the changes, reading the new fluff, admiring the new artwork (if there is any). I'll be extremely happy to finally have a hardback book for my army.

And I too think that, even though our auxilliaries will still be in our codex, they may get their own codex too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there've been a few new codex armies in this edition: Death Guard, Custards, Thousand Suns. I wouldn't be surprised if we get "T'au Auxilliaries" codex. I won't be upset if we don't, so I won't get my hopes up, but if we do, I'll be over the moon. Imagine that! Competitive Kroot!

My guess is simple: if the Kroot are in our new Codex, they will not get another Codex for themselves.
On the other hand, if they are not present we can start to speculate whether they are going to be discontinued (unlikely) or they are getting their own book.
I'd wager that we will have a T'au Auxiliaries Codex sometime soon (could very well be 2019 or beyond). For the meantime we will have to rely on Index profiles for the Kroots.

I just hope that we get some official info on upcoming releases very soon, I'm starting to be quite impatient about it :D

Even if they are getting their own codex, they still have to be in the tau one. Simply because people who own them would be pissed to have to wait even more time to be able to play them.
Like people have said before, even chaos space marine codex has some daemon units.
They will probably release new models before they release an actual codex for tau-aux

There's no chance that Kroot will be present in a Tau Codex AND shortly after in a Tau Auxiliaries Codex, IMHO.
If they are in the Codex, we can forget about a dedicated Kroot Codex for a couple of years. It all comes down to how much GW thinks the Kroot would sell and whether expanding their range is worth the investment.

As for now, the Index works as a stopgap: even if Kroot will not be present in our Codex we would still be able to use them, thanks to their Index profiles.

I'd prefer not seeing Kroot units in our Codex, since I absolutely love them. That would (likely) mean that a dedicated Auxiliary Codex is on the way.

armisael
Shas'Saal

Post#2144 » Feb 15 2018 07:05

AenarIT wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
AenarIT wrote:My guess is simple: if the Kroot are in our new Codex, they will not get another Codex for themselves.
On the other hand, if they are not present we can start to speculate whether they are going to be discontinued (unlikely) or they are getting their own book.
I'd wager that we will have a T'au Auxiliaries Codex sometime soon (could very well be 2019 or beyond). For the meantime we will have to rely on Index profiles for the Kroots.

I just hope that we get some official info on upcoming releases very soon, I'm starting to be quite impatient about it :D

Even if they are getting their own codex, they still have to be in the tau one. Simply because people who own them would be pissed to have to wait even more time to be able to play them.
Like people have said before, even chaos space marine codex has some daemon units.
They will probably release new models before they release an actual codex for tau-aux

There's no chance that Kroot will be present in a Tau Codex AND shortly after in a Tau Auxiliaries Codex, IMHO.
If they are in the Codex, we can forget about a dedicated Kroot Codex for a couple of years. It all comes down to how much GW thinks the Kroot would sell and whether expanding their range is worth the investment.

As for now, the Index works as a stopgap: even if Kroot will not be present in our Codex we would still be able to use them, thanks to their Index profiles.

I'd prefer not seeing Kroot units in our Codex, since I absolutely love them. That would (likely) mean that a dedicated Auxiliary Codex is on the way.

Don’t worry, it has a lot of datasheet that was presented in multi codex.

So, I can’t see any reason why GW won’t put Kroot in T’au codex

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#2145 » Feb 15 2018 09:00

So any chance to get some hints tomorrow at the 40k battle on twitch for upcoming T'au Codex? Maybe they field T'au for a reason at that game.. hmm :P

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#2146 » Feb 15 2018 09:08

I think we can all agree that rail weapons are over cost for 2 reasons:
1) Range
2) Mortal wound capable
GW Highly overcost these two stats, esp. in a world of turn 1/2 charges

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#2147 » Feb 15 2018 09:14

StealthKnightSteg wrote:So any chance to get some hints tomorrow at the 40k battle on twitch for upcoming T'au Codex? Maybe they field T'au for a reason at that game.. hmm :P

Where you saw that T'au will fight tomorrow?

Osocruel
Shas

Post#2148 » Feb 15 2018 09:30

Studioworks wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:So any chance to get some hints tomorrow at the 40k battle on twitch for upcoming T'au Codex? Maybe they field T'au for a reason at that game.. hmm :P

Warhammer Community, just saw it, can't believe I missed that. I think Steg may be on to something here.

6pm Friday on Twitch
Fealty, Firepower and Fury
Warhammer Community’s Steve pits his Adeptus Custodes against Warhammer World’s Ash and his forces of the T’au Empire.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#2149 » Feb 15 2018 09:40

Studioworks wrote:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... r-live-12/

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#2150 » Feb 15 2018 10:20

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Studioworks wrote:

I'll believe it when I hear it/see it

April 1st is when I'm expecting it out by

Calisk
Shas

Post#2151 » Feb 15 2018 10:22

it's probably existing rules in all honestly.

i suspect they just want to kick tau once more before the codex is out

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#2152 » Feb 15 2018 10:52

Bloodknife92 wrote:I agree with the optimism in recent posts. I too will be nose deep in the new codex for many reasons: learning the changes, reading the new fluff, admiring the new artwork (if there is any). I'll be extremely happy to finally have a hardback book for my army.

And I too think that, even though our auxilliaries will still be in our codex, they may get their own codex too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there've been a few new codex armies in this edition: Death Guard, Custards, Thousand Suns. I wouldn't be surprised if we get "T'au Auxilliaries" codex. I won't be upset if we don't, so I won't get my hopes up, but if we do, I'll be over the moon. Imagine that! Competitive Kroot!

Watch them call them just Mercenaries....and the Imperium will now have access to them, too. :P
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#2153 » Feb 15 2018 10:59

Or it will end in a "manipulated" victory for T'au to show anyone "they aren't that bad". Just to lower some expectations.
OR this way they want to promote Custodes by rofl-stomping the archnemesis Tau.

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#2154 » Feb 15 2018 10:59

Nymphomanius wrote:
Ash87 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:I would have them be more obscenely powerful :P
I agree with the rest

I might agree with Missile Pods, but I actually -Really- like Rail Rifles where they are. I always take at least 2 per pathfinder squad. They are just an amazing weapon. I'm pretty sure it's not in vogue to say that... but yeah, I love Rail Rifles. I think my returns for Rail Rifles and my returns for Pulse Rifles are about equal. I always get at Least 1 Mortal wound per rail rifles in a game, and I always get multiple D3 shots landing. The biggest limiting factor for me not taking more pathfinder squads at this point, is that without protection pathfinders are target 1 for people, and rail rifles are 22 Points!

I mean... Guard have the Plasma Gun, which is 7 points on models with a ballistic skill of 4+. The difference is that the guard version has Less AP, and less Range by 6"... but is by default S7 or 8, with a possible 2 damage. 6" range and 1AP doesn't seem worth 20 points. And then if it's about Damage... well, the Grenade launcher does D3 with a Krak grenade. But then a grenade Launcher costs 5 points.

Like... I'd accept 12 points here, 15 in a pinch. But 22? A rail rifle is good, but it's not -That- much better than a plasma rifle though, and those are 11 points. Just eyeing the models, I bet if you got 2 Tau pathfinders, one could prop a plasma rifle on his back, while the other pulled the trigger... And that'd be -LESS- expensive than a single Railrifle wielding pathfinder! I'd stop what I'm doing right now and convert a few models for that hilarity.

You can't directly compare a rail rifle to a plasma gun without looking at the fact that it won't blow you up, also guardsmen can only take a single 7point plasma gun in a squad, veteran and Militarum tempestus squads that make best use of the plasma gun pay 13pts each though I do agree a rail rifle shouldn't cost more than a Lascannon and 12-15pts is probably where it should be which is why like the rest if our army they perform great in PL games because while it's almost 100pts for 5 Pathfinders with 3 RR it's still only 3 power which is hilarious because for 6 power you can have 1 Space marine land speeder or 5 assault Marines amd we can have 10 pathfinders with 6 rail rifles :D

I think I can do that very thing. x3 the price of Plasma just isn't justifiable. With the AP as high as it is, and with it being a multi-Damage weapon I'd put this much more as an Anti-vehicle weapon than I would anything else; and the S6 then makes that so hitting anything that matters you are inevitably going to be needing 5s to then get the potential for 3 damage. And that's FINE, I think that the gun balances greatly between being anti-heavy infantry and anti-vehicle. The Only problem is that it's x3 the cost of Plasma. That's taking it a step too far. A five point Drop would be plenty to make it much more palpable to take them, and that's not, in the scheme of things, a huge request to make. Make it 14, that's x2 the plasma, if you're feeling generous. It's stuck in a unit that is pretty weak to begin with.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#2155 » Feb 15 2018 11:29

Regarding Rail-rifles/Rail weaponry in general, I think Heavy D3 would fix a lot. Rail-rifles being Heavy D3 seems a lot more thematic. They're more akin to a high powered sniper rifle. Keeping them at S6 AP-4 D D3 but Heavy 3 and making them 15-17 points would work wonders. Then we have a gun that wants to stay immobile along with the markerlights, can operate at long range, is cheap enough to consider taking on a fragile platform, and can hurt a wide variety of targets. If it gained S7 it would need to cost perhaps 18/19 points, but at that point I think it's verging on too expensive for the platform its on.

The Heavy Rail-rifle needs S9 and a points reduction to make Broadsides cheap enough to take, and the Railgun needs Heavy D3 S14 AP-4 D D6.
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Osocruel
Shas

Post#2156 » Feb 15 2018 11:40

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Studioworks wrote:

Just had a quick look through previous Warhammer TV live battles -

Jan 5 was Chaos Daemons v Nids
Jan 12 was Chaos Daemons v Grey Knights
Jan 18 was Thousand Sons v Custodes
Feb 9 was Thousand Sons v Space Wolves
Feb 16 is Custodes v Tau

I know its wishful thinking to get a leak but I'm going to keep optimistic. :)

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#2157 » Feb 15 2018 11:47

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:Regarding Rail-rifles/Rail weaponry in general, I think Heavy D3 would fix a lot. Rail-rifles being Heavy D3 seems a lot more thematic. They're more akin to a high powered sniper rifle. Keeping them at S6 AP-4 D D3 but Heavy 3 and making them 15-17 points would work wonders. Then we have a gun that wants to stay immobile along with the markerlights, can operate at long range, is cheap enough to consider taking on a fragile platform, and can hurt a wide variety of targets. If it gained S7 it would need to cost perhaps 18/19 points, but at that point I think it's verging on too expensive for the platform its on.

The Heavy Rail-rifle needs S9 and a points reduction to make Broadsides cheap enough to take, and the Railgun needs Heavy D3 S14 AP-4 D D6.

I think we already have too many variable shot weapons already. We used to sacrifice a bit of power for the very pinnacle of reliability and, if not accuracy, consistency. I understand they added a random number of shots to replace the large and small templates, ( which I vastly preferred, for the record) And can kind of understand why the ion is variable, since it's going from a controlled reaction to a runaway, but the rail weapons are static tech. The capacitors charge at a set rate, the gyroscopes keep it stable. I can see going to a flat heavy 3, but not D3. Especially not at that cost.

Shas'o Shortsight
Shas

Post#2158 » Feb 15 2018 12:12

I would love rail weapons to change to rapid fire. Would have a good synergy for broadsides with plasma rifles as mobile artillery and would give HH a very unique feeling for a battle tank. Wouldn't mind ranges being reduced to 36" respectively 48" for that change.

For the Ion canon, I can't resist but compare it to Predator autocanon. Same cost, quite similar profile. But our weapon has one shot less and the option to risk wounds to actually shoot worse. Unless targeting big units, in which case the multiple damage is already wasted.
I would like the Ion canon to go to heavy 4 and overloading granting 2D3 shots.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#2159 » Feb 15 2018 12:26

Ash87 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Ash87 wrote:
I might agree with Missile Pods, but I actually -Really- like Rail Rifles where they are. I always take at least 2 per pathfinder squad. They are just an amazing weapon. I'm pretty sure it's not in vogue to say that... but yeah, I love Rail Rifles. I think my returns for Rail Rifles and my returns for Pulse Rifles are about equal. I always get at Least 1 Mortal wound per rail rifles in a game, and I always get multiple D3 shots landing. The biggest limiting factor for me not taking more pathfinder squads at this point, is that without protection pathfinders are target 1 for people, and rail rifles are 22 Points!

I mean... Guard have the Plasma Gun, which is 7 points on models with a ballistic skill of 4+. The difference is that the guard version has Less AP, and less Range by 6"... but is by default S7 or 8, with a possible 2 damage. 6" range and 1AP doesn't seem worth 20 points. And then if it's about Damage... well, the Grenade launcher does D3 with a Krak grenade. But then a grenade Launcher costs 5 points.

Like... I'd accept 12 points here, 15 in a pinch. But 22? A rail rifle is good, but it's not -That- much better than a plasma rifle though, and those are 11 points. Just eyeing the models, I bet if you got 2 Tau pathfinders, one could prop a plasma rifle on his back, while the other pulled the trigger... And that'd be -LESS- expensive than a single Railrifle wielding pathfinder! I'd stop what I'm doing right now and convert a few models for that hilarity.

You can't directly compare a rail rifle to a plasma gun without looking at the fact that it won't blow you up, also guardsmen can only take a single 7point plasma gun in a squad, veteran and Militarum tempestus squads that make best use of the plasma gun pay 13pts each though I do agree a rail rifle shouldn't cost more than a Lascannon and 12-15pts is probably where it should be which is why like the rest if our army they perform great in PL games because while it's almost 100pts for 5 Pathfinders with 3 RR it's still only 3 power which is hilarious because for 6 power you can have 1 Space marine land speeder or 5 assault Marines amd we can have 10 pathfinders with 6 rail rifles :D

I think I can do that very thing. x3 the price of Plasma just isn't justifiable. With the AP as high as it is, and with it being a multi-Damage weapon I'd put this much more as an Anti-vehicle weapon than I would anything else; and the S6 then makes that so hitting anything that matters you are inevitably going to be needing 5s to then get the potential for 3 damage. And that's FINE, I think that the gun balances greatly between being anti-heavy infantry and anti-vehicle. The Only problem is that it's x3 the cost of Plasma. That's taking it a step too far. A five point Drop would be plenty to make it much more palpable to take them, and that's not, in the scheme of things, a huge request to make. Make it 14, that's x2 the plasma, if you're feeling generous. It's stuck in a unit that is pretty weak to begin with.

Did you read more than the first line of my post? For the most part I agreed with you that 12-15 is where it should be at

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#2160 » Feb 15 2018 01:55

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:Regarding Rail-rifles/Rail weaponry in general, I think Heavy D3 would fix a lot. Rail-rifles being Heavy D3 seems a lot more thematic. They're more akin to a high powered sniper rifle. Keeping them at S6 AP-4 D D3 but Heavy 3 and making them 15-17 points would work wonders. Then we have a gun that wants to stay immobile along with the markerlights, can operate at long range, is cheap enough to consider taking on a fragile platform, and can hurt a wide variety of targets. If it gained S7 it would need to cost perhaps 18/19 points, but at that point I think it's verging on too expensive for the platform its on.

d3 weapons are the old blast weapons.
Railguns are not blast weapons (with the exception of the heavy rail cannon, but even then it was not translated as a blast weapon)

Return to “General Discussion”