Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#19 » Jul 06 2017 07:48

PeeJ wrote:- Unless I've missed something, the JetPack keyword currently does nothing, I suspect we may get an ability linked to that in the codex.

That keyword is really a mystery. A keyword that does nothing? I mean, it's clearly there to be used by a future ability... in a book that will become obsolete by the publication of the book that uses it. What?

PeeJ wrote:- Increasing Plasma weapons strength (The fluff originally stated, slightly weaker so it doesn't get hot, now regular plasma weapons don't get hot unless overcharged and out plasma is still weaker, why?)

There's a lot of Tau lore/tradition they're throwing out (Pulse Rifles used to be famously armor piercing, now they're AP0, for example) so Plasma Rifles might just be a victim of this lore change.

PeeJ wrote:- Some sort of 'anti psyker' tech (just as the necrons built warp dampening pylons on Cadia, a Pariah drone or something similar would be nice to at least help us defend against attacks in that phase we don't get. I'm looking at you Smite).

This would be interesting. I feel like it would just be a giant drone with a wacky anti-warp generator on top of it though, or a Devilfish with the same wacky anti-warp generator on top of it...

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jul 06 2017 08:04

I'm just going to point out that this is starting to devolve into wishlisting, which is a big "No, No" under forum rules. If all y'all don't want to get this locked consider carefully what you're posting.
(Plausible) Speculation on what will be in it is fine (e.g. Points fixes, what the new units will be) and discussion of how that could be accomplished is fine, especially if backed up by good arguments, but just "I want to see..." should be avoided.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Jul 06 2017 08:07

Arka0415 wrote:
PeeJ wrote:- Increasing Plasma weapons strength (The fluff originally stated, slightly weaker so it doesn't get hot, now regular plasma weapons don't get hot unless overcharged and out plasma is still weaker, why?)

There's a lot of Tau lore/tradition they're throwing out (Pulse Rifles used to be famously armor piercing, now they're AP0, for example) so Plasma Rifles might just be a victim of this lore change.

I suspect that the lore wasn't necessarily deliberately changed but it was done for balance reasons or purely because they were concentrating really hard on the new Imp/Chaos story when it was done. For example when they made railsides awful a couple of editions back in order to sell new models... *ahem* I mean, balance things. The fluff about other armies tanks being terrified of them and them just obliterating tanks still stayed even though realistically they were a bit pants at it.

I'm glad they've added the mortal wounds mechanic to railguns, I love the look of them and they *are* the Tau for me.

As for fluff changes, I wish they would just pull the trigger on getting the Tau out into the wider galaxy. In the previous edition, they got rid of all the 'skimming the surface of the warp' stuff and instead had an escalating quality of true technology based space flight, which implied FTL travel, it went along the lines of;

Phase 2 Expansion: "These new drives allowed the Tau to travel on the brink of light speed"
Phase 3 Expansion: "The Horizon Drive allowed the Tau to reach 'new, previously unimagined speeds'"

That implies FTL to me, from 'the brink of lightspeed' to 'new unimaginable speeds'. But in the fluff I've read from this edition, I'm pretty sure I read a bit that just flat out stated "The Tau do not have faster than light travel". Fluff wise that disappoints me. Both the Necrons and the 'Nids achieve FTL without the use of the warp, just get the Tau over the hump and story-wise you'll be making things so much easier to explain how they can actually compete with other races in space warfare and how they come into contact with them.

Yeah, sorry, I'm a fluff addict and that is probably the biggest thing I'm looking forward to; New fluff on the 5th Sphere expansion, how the 4th disappeared and what new stuff the little leathery blue guys have invented in the mean time.

Lord Mayhem wrote:I'm just going to point out that this is starting to devolve into wishlisting, which is a big "No, No" under forum rules. If all y'all don't want to get this locked consider carefully what you're posting.
(Plausible) Speculation on what will be in it is fine (e.g. Points fixes, what the new units will be) and discussion of how that could be accomplished is fine, especially if backed up by good arguments, but just "I want to see..." should be avoided.

Apologies if I'm guilty of that, I was just trying to break my predictions down into 'likely and good/less likely but would be good/likely and would be bad heh.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Jul 06 2017 08:23

PeeJ wrote:
Lord Mayhem wrote:I'm just going to point out that this is starting to devolve into wishlisting, which is a big "No, No" under forum rules. If all y'all don't want to get this locked consider carefully what you're posting.

Apologies if I'm guilty of that, I was just trying to break my predictions down into 'likely and good/less likely but would be good/likely and would be bad heh.

This is true, we should keep the wishlisting to a minimum. That's why we're talking about lore etc. I suspect these changes will have some bearing in the current lore (i.e. no psykers) as well as some new lore additions (possibly a new auxiliary race).

We can probably also expect a new suit because... all Tau releases get a new suit, right? And it gets bigger every time... oh well

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jul 06 2017 08:33

Arka0415 wrote:This is true, we should keep the wishlisting to a minimum. That's why we're talking about lore etc. I suspect these changes will have some bearing in the current lore (i.e. no psykers) as well as some new lore additions (possibly a new auxiliary race).

We can probably also expect a new suit because... all Tau releases get a new suit, right? And it gets bigger every time... oh well

There is always the potential for the new race to BE psykers, Nicassar for example. Demiurg could be interesting (looks/fluff wise), and not too much work for them I'd guess, they could just tweak Kahadron Overlord designs, but I can't imagine what role the unit would fill. There has been rumours of non-Tau units coming out for the army lately, and they've not added any new auxiliaries in a couple of editions, so I could see them doing so purely from a fluff standpoint.

I don't think we are particularly wanting for any units at the moment to be honest. It would be interesting if the Tigershark got a plastic (It still has rules but hasn't been sold by forgeworld in some time), but I think the only unit thats made its way from resin to plastic in the past is the SkyRay.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Jul 06 2017 08:38

PeeJ wrote:There is always the potential for the new race to BE psykers, Nicassar for example. Demiurg could be interesting (looks/fluff wise), and not too much work for them I'd guess, they could just tweak Kahadron Overlord designs, but I can't imagine what role the unit would fill. There has been rumours of non-Tau units coming out for the army lately, and they've not added any new auxiliaries in a couple of editions, so I could see them doing so purely from a fluff standpoint.

I don't think we are particularly wanting for any units at the moment to be honest. It would be interesting if the Tigershark got a plastic (It still has rules but hasn't been sold by forgeworld in some time), but I think the only unit thats made its way from resin to plastic in the past is the SkyRay.

A Games Workshop spokesperson mentioned on facebook a few months ago that neither the Tau, Dark Eldar, nor Necrons would be getting psykers in 8th Editon. I mean, that could be a red herring, but I'm inclined to believe it.

On the new units, I agree. It doesn't feel like there's a 'hole' in our roster that needs filling. Though, that was true before the release of the Ghostkeel and Riptide too, but whatever.

Edit: Okay, there's one hole. A Razorback-equivalent light tank with an accurate, decent-range anti-armor gun. For some reason we just don't have that. It's weird. Our anti-armor options are quite expensive as it stands... or very, very close range.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jul 06 2017 08:45

Arka0415 wrote:
A Games Workshop spokesperson mentioned on facebook a few months ago that neither the Tau, Dark Eldar, nor Necrons would be getting psykers in 8th Editon. I mean, that could be a red herring, but I'm inclined to believe it.

Ooooh, I didn't know that, interesting, I don't mind the army having no Psykers, I think it's good for the feel/theme of it, as long as that is balanced out in other ways I'm happy.

Hmmm, did that assassin that killed Aun'Va ever get caught? That was the anti-psyker assassin wasn't it? Or am I remembering wrongly?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jul 06 2017 08:49

Necron have anti psyker that they can take
Dark Eldar can ally with eldar with all the new Aeldari faction shenanigans.

Tau... still have nothing

I mean FLUFF wise we are the BEST anti psyker race in the galaxy.

We literally don't register in the warp at all. That makes it very difficult for enemy psykers to target us with abilities.
It's literally staring them in the face and they still cant see it. Give us an inherent -2 to psychic rolls that target Tau units.

There, see, its not hard.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Jul 06 2017 08:54

Lechai Skull wrote:Necron have anti psyker that they can take

We literally don't register in the warp at all. That makes it very difficult for enemy psykers to target us with abilities.
It's literally staring them in the face and they still cant see it. Give us an inherent -2 to psychic rolls that target Tau units.

That makes sense, even just a -1 to hit like the XV25 stealth field.... but for mind bullets instead of, well, real bullets.

Could be a bit overpowered balance wise though, and it wouldn't let them sell new models. That's why I'd bank on them doing a unit with some kind of aura, as opposed to a free army-wide special rule. It also 'feels' more Tau to build a doo-dad that does it for them.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jul 06 2017 09:17

Lechai Skull wrote:Necron have anti psyker that they can take

Well, Tau aren't exactly blanks. Rather, we just don't glow very bright in the warp and as such are not very interesting to Daemons and other warp entities. I don't think Space Marines have any problem using their mind bullets on us though.

konradkurze202
Shas

Post#29 » Jul 06 2017 04:58

What I want:

Different sets of Markerlight bonuses you can pick from.

Some Sept that doesn't allow you to take Markerlights, but units have the BS bumped up to 3+. Or even just a general rebalancing to have all Suits and vehicles be BS 3+. Given the limit to MLs now it makes sense to have a higher base BS.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Jul 06 2017 07:02

konradkurze202 wrote:What I want:

Some Sept that doesn't allow you to take Markerlights, but units have the BS bumped up to 3+. Or even just a general rebalancing to have all Suits and vehicles be BS 3+. Given the limit to MLs now it makes sense to have a higher base BS.

Let's not wishlist though, but I think it's likely that the Markerlight system might change. Nearly every faction in the game has been given some kind of "table" ability (be it Markerlights, Canticles, or something else) and I bet they will become more nuanced in the future.

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Jul 06 2017 07:54

One way for them to sell more models with no extra effort on their part while still adding something to Tau that's been in our fluff since the Damocles Crusade would be to include rules for using Gue'vesa in our main codex (please not just a 10 man guard squad though). This would also give us someone to ally with in a battle forged force (seriously even Tyranids have allies now).

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Jul 06 2017 09:10

I am split on that topic.
Adding only one unit of human soldiers might be cheap but that also works with Vespids.
They should fill a niché and not replace regular troops.
I'd see them as humans in T'au uniform with Pulserifles. Hitting on 5+ but doing a punch in melee.

If I want Astra Militarum weaponry I can play Astra Militarum.

But that's only my opinion.

Anyway: Do you think it might be realistic if our infantry gets pistols on every model? Maybe on a ppm base like Bonding Knife had in 7th? Because I simply don't see the idea of giving a pistol to a Shas'ui exclusively.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Jul 06 2017 10:09

konradkurze202 wrote:What I want:

They'll probably adjust the table, but something that specific isn't going to happen.

I suggest glancing at the AOS battletomes of a general preview as to what to expect--Sept rules will be more like a 'reroll against monsters' sort of thing.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Jul 07 2017 06:33

I suspect we'll finally see something with the different septs, and MAYBE different castes but I also think we'll see a return of the Eight in some form by being able to take those "special" units who used cost exactly the same as a normal suit with that equipment (seriously, no bonuses?) but maybe with some tweaks. Clearly some form of a farsight list in the minimum and I think MAYBE finally seeing a BS upgrade on crisis, broadside, and riptides since now TL is not a thing and was our way of having a better shooting list.

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Jul 07 2017 07:00

Yojimbob wrote:I suspect we'll finally see something with the different septs, and MAYBE different castes but I also think we'll see a return of the Eight in some form by being able to take those "special" units who used cost exactly the same as a normal suit with that equipment (seriously, no bonuses?) but maybe with some tweaks. Clearly some form of a farsight list in the minimum and I think MAYBE finally seeing a BS upgrade on crisis, broadside, and riptides since now TL is not a thing and was our way of having a better shooting list.

I just hope if the Septs confer bonuses that GW avoids the pants on head stupidity it has been known for when choosing sept traits. As in, all the septs should be viable or not exist at all.

For example, let me take a gander at how GW would tackle this in a predicated manner:

Vior'la: +1 to WS
Tau: +1 to leadership
Kel'shan: +1 to hit xenos keyword units

Guess who everyone's sept would be painted in? (Hint, its yellow)
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#36 » Jul 07 2017 08:45

Shas'Bro wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:I suspect we'll finally see something with the different septs, and MAYBE different castes but I also think we'll see a return of the Eight in some form by being able to take those "special" units who used cost exactly the same as a normal suit with that equipment (seriously, no bonuses?) but maybe with some tweaks. Clearly some form of a farsight list in the minimum and I think MAYBE finally seeing a BS upgrade on crisis, broadside, and riptides since now TL is not a thing and was our way of having a better shooting list.

I just hope if the Septs confer bonuses that GW avoids the pants on head stupidity it has been known for when choosing sept traits. As in, all the septs should be viable or not exist at all.

For example, let me take a gander at how GW would tackle this in a predicated manner:

Vior'la: +1 to WS
Tau: +1 to leadership
Kel'shan: +1 to hit xenos keyword units

Guess who everyone's sept would be painted in? (Hint, its yellow)

There's a precedent for these kinds of abilities, back from the old 5th Ed. Space Marine codex. Salamanders got all of their flamers and thunder hammers master crafted, etc. I don't think we'll see sept buffs to statlines, but rather subtle army perks. No idea what these perks would be though. Re-rolling run distances for Vior'la?

Return to “General Discussion”