Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
szeszej
Shas'Saal

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#703 » Nov 16 2017 01:40

The FAQ confirms - we can still use CIBs on Crisis even if they are removed in the codex (it's in the flowchart in the end).

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#704 » Nov 16 2017 02:04

To be precise, the Designer's Commentary confirms it. ;)

However I'll expect that flowchart to be a temporary solution and to be gone once it goes into the second round of Codex releases in a few years or GW wouldn't have any way to change any Datasheet properly thanks to the Indexes.
Last edited by Panzer on Nov 16 2017 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

DancinHobo
Shas'Saal

Post#705 » Nov 16 2017 02:05

My guess is this is for more casual games. Tournament and things will probably not let you use the indexes if your army has a codex. Maybe.

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#706 » Nov 16 2017 02:10

DancinHobo wrote:My guess is this is for more casual games. Tournament and things will probably not let you use the indexes if your army has a codex. Maybe.

Well, the page calls out Match Play games at the top, so I would imagine it works for all game types. I haven't read the full commentary yet, so no idea if that is spelled out anywhere else.

Also, thanks Panzer for finding the source.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#707 » Nov 16 2017 04:42

QimRas wrote:
DancinHobo wrote:My guess is this is for more casual games. Tournament and things will probably not let you use the indexes if your army has a codex. Maybe.

Well, the page calls out Match Play games at the top, so I would imagine it works for all game types. I haven't read the full commentary yet, so no idea if that is spelled out anywhere else.

Also, thanks Panzer for finding the source.

My guess is this is a clever ploy from GW to
A. Appease any negative feelings of units/wargear being dropped or "accidently" forgotten
B. Makes the job of apps/sites like battlescribe needlessly difficult as unit and wargear selection is now more diverse and not all just in the codex.
C. I also think GW suffered from a little shall we call it "tunnel vision" when writing the first few codex's, they had so much to do and in a fairly short amount of time it's not surprising that bits were missed and saying "you can use it if it's in the index and not the codex" is much faster than editing every forgotten mistake into the Codexes

nic
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#708 » Nov 16 2017 05:25

Nymphomanius wrote:
My guess is this is a clever ploy from GW to
A. Appease any negative feelings of units/wargear being dropped or "accidently" forgotten
B. Makes the job of apps/sites like battlescribe needlessly difficult as unit and wargear selection is now more diverse and not all just in the codex.
C. I also think GW suffered from a little shall we call it "tunnel vision" when writing the first few codex's, they had so much to do and in a fairly short amount of time it's not surprising that bits were missed and saying "you can use it if it's in the index and not the codex" is much faster than editing every forgotten mistake into the Codexes

i think GW are showing the strains of feature creep on a model range that goes back 30 years. They do not really want to over-complicate their current publications with options that are not in the kit but nor do they want to invalidate models that players purchased and have owned for many years.

Any solution to that was always going to be a bit of compromise.

I think it makes the job of the app developers in GW needlessly difficult - they have said they want to release an army builder app but I bet they are finding it hard to handle the configuration management and testing on all of this.

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#709 » Nov 18 2017 09:57

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

Tidbits on the new VDR rules, mostly. However, the last line also says Chapter Approved will be on preorder on the 25th.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#710 » Nov 19 2017 12:18

QimRas wrote:https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/18/get-ready-chapter-approved-nov-18gw-homepage-post-3/

Tidbits on the new VDR rules, mostly. However, the last line also says Chapter Approved will be on preorder on the 25th.

Why are we excited for this? Chapter Approved likely won't have any points cost changes for us or anything major so who cares? I also doubt it will nerf the clearly too strong armies that are out there either.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#711 » Nov 19 2017 01:11

Jacket wrote:Why are we excited for this? Chapter Approved likely won't have any points cost changes for us or anything major so who cares?
Chapter Approved is billed as having inclusions for all armies without a codex, bringing them updates that allow them to participate in the new mechanics of 8th edition that weren't included in the index.

Whether you believe that is overselling CA's contribution is up to you, but many suspect that it will, among other things, include Sept, Clan, Dynasty, Order, and Household rules, as well as perhaps some stratagems for each force.Considering we know that it comes out before the earliest possible release slot for the Tau Codex, this essentially makes it the only potential Tau news on the horizon until at least Farsight February.

The article above also backpeddles a bit of GW's recent anti-conversion policy, by saying that conversions are a fun part of the hobby.

I also doubt it will nerf the clearly too strong armies that are out there either.
When every army is too strong, none of them will be.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#712 » Nov 19 2017 01:35

SinisterSamurai wrote:
Jacket wrote:Why are we excited for this? Chapter Approved likely won't have any points cost changes for us or anything major so who cares?
Chapter Approved is billed as having inclusions for all armies without a codex, bringing them updates that allow them to participate in the new mechanics of 8th edition that weren't included in the index.

Whether you believe that is overselling CA's contribution is up to you, but many suspect that it will, among other things, include Sept, Clan, Dynasty, Order, and Household rules, as well as perhaps some stratagems for each force.Considering we know that it comes out before the earliest possible release slot for the Tau Codex, this essentially makes it the only potential Tau news on the horizon until at least Farsight February.

The article above also backpeddles a bit of GW's recent anti-conversion policy, by saying that conversions are a fun part of the hobby.

I also doubt it will nerf the clearly too strong armies that are out there either.
When every army is too strong, none of them will be.

In that case my hype level has intensified.

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#713 » Nov 19 2017 05:16

Jacket wrote:In that case my hype level has intensified.

Rumors for CA are that there will be a handful of base strategems for all Index armies, as well as a slice of the faction rules for each as well, as Sinister Samurai mentioned. Other things rumored to be included:
*Points values changes to all armies (in fact, its been suggested that CAs will be the primary place that mass point value changes will be made going forward)
*Expansion/teasers for some of the additional mission types and game modes. Adding some more flesh to things like Cities of Death and Death From the Skies that were in the main book.
*Changes to the base ruleset.

Things that are a bit more than rumor:
*Every army is getting something like Objective Secured of the Codex armies.

I am hoping they start doing posts over the next week with information about what will be in CA, the same way they have been for the various Codexis

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#714 » Nov 19 2017 05:26

QimRas wrote:I am hoping they start doing posts over the next week with information about what will be in CA, the same way they have been for the various Codexis

If it's available for pre order on Saturday then they'll probably start giving teasers from tomorrow like they have with the Codexes, either way we will know by COB tomorrow :D

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#715 » Nov 19 2017 05:45

QimRas wrote:I am hoping they start doing posts over the next week with information about what will be in CA, the same way they have been for the various Codexis
Nymphomanius wrote:If it's available for pre order on Saturday then they'll probably start giving teasers from tomorrow like they have with the Codexes, either way we will know by COB tomorrow :D

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/
"We’ll be previewing just some of what you can expect to find in your copy throughout this week, starting with a look at the return of a much-loved feature from Rogue Trader – vehicle design rules!"

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#716 » Nov 19 2017 05:50

SinisterSamurai wrote:https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/
"We’ll be previewing just some of what you can expect to find in your copy throughout this week, starting with a look at the return of a much-loved feature from Rogue Trader – vehicle design rules!"

Oh nice! I missed that line. Thanks!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#717 » Nov 19 2017 06:11

Jacket wrote:
QimRas wrote:https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/18/get-ready-chapter-approved-nov-18gw-homepage-post-3/

Why are we excited for this? Chapter Approved likely won't have any points cost changes for us or anything major so who cares? I also doubt it will nerf the clearly too strong armies that are out there either.

Points changes is exactly what the Chapter Approved will have among other changes to the game lol

FLG already said that after Chapter Approved gets released, the game will be played as is (so no or almost no houserules from their side), so expect a lot of things to change.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#718 » Nov 19 2017 06:50

Panzer wrote:
Jacket wrote:

Points changes is exactly what the Chapter Approved will have among other changes to the game lol

FLG already said that after Chapter Approved gets released, the game will be played as is (so no or almost no houserules from their side), so expect a lot of things to change.

I'm hoping in terms of core rules change they look at cover, the current rules are so weird and nonsensical

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#719 » Nov 19 2017 07:42

Jacket wrote:

I'm curious, what source do you get your suspicions from?

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#720 » Nov 19 2017 09:10

Bloodknife92 wrote:
Jacket wrote:

I'm curious, what source do you get your suspicions from?

From wet-blankets-R-us.com most likely :D

Haters gunna hate

Return to “General Discussion”