Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1315 » Jan 08 2018 08:52

Haechi wrote:
PullsyJr wrote:I'm not even expecting that. GW are clearly only interested in Imperium vs Chaos.

Right. That's why Eldar and Tyranids are such bad codice right now xD

I skimmed through the eldar codex. I can't say I was impressed with what I saw. Maybe it's just me, but all their gear felt boring. The wraithknight had wicked D-cannons in 7e, and now they are just "hit and damage" weapons.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#1316 » Jan 08 2018 08:54

Temennigru wrote:I skimmed through the eldar codex. I can't say I was impressed with what I saw. Maybe it's just me, but all their gear felt boring. The wraithknight had wicked D-cannons in 7e, and now they are just "hit and damage" weapons.

Forgetting about Alaitoc stealth spam?

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#1317 » Jan 08 2018 08:58

Arka0415 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:I skimmed through the eldar codex. I can't say I was impressed with what I saw. Maybe it's just me, but all their gear felt boring. The wraithknight had wicked D-cannons in 7e, and now they are just "hit and damage" weapons.

Forgetting about Alaitoc stealth spam?

I don't know what that is.
And I'm not saying it isn't strong, it's just boring. You could have a 1 point infantry with the suppa mega wicked lazor that deals 9001 damage, hit on a 2+, had 15 shots and str 30, it would still be boring. It's just a weapon that "shoots and deals damage". I honestly miss the blast templates from 7e. They added something different to the weapons and each one could deal its own unique thing, like the mechanicus death laser where you took a blast template and dragged it for 72 inches. And GW hasn't yet added any mechanics worthy of them.
Last edited by Temennigru on Jan 08 2018 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Re: Upcoming T'au Code

Post#1318 » Jan 08 2018 09:02

There are rumors of two more Primarch s and on a stream they all but confirmed Fulgrim is coming later in the year with Slaanesh Deamons. Also one good Primarch too in the first half. With AoS getting two different army releases this takes up most if the year already.

Rumor has it in June imps get something again.

Basically it’s year of the throw xenos out. Writing is on the wall. We’re not wanted. We’re a liability at this point to Primarch s and their model ranges. Next year is said to start with Khorne deamons. At this point it seems like a deliberate attempt by GW to excise us and make room for more marines and demons.

Unless the space marine players kick up so much fuss over this it’s going to go through.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#1319 » Jan 08 2018 09:08

Temennigru wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Forgetting about Alaitoc stealth spam?

I don't know what that is.

The list where the Eldar fill their list up with units protected by -2 and -3 to-hit penalties, forcing shooting armies to get in within 12". The the Eldar counterattack with Smite spam, Howling Banshees, Striking Scorpions, whatever. Very deadly, especially with psyker powers.

Temennigru wrote:And I'm not saying it isn't strong, it's just boring. You could have a 1 point infantry with the suppa mega wicked lazor that deals 9001 damage, hit on a 2+, had 15 shots and str 30, it would still be boring.

Well, you're not wrong there. Lots of flavor is still missing from the Eldar book, especially with the loss of lots of the old Autarch options. Oh well.

Hawkins
Shas'Saal

Post#1320 » Jan 08 2018 09:33

Jacket wrote:There are rumors of two more Primarch s and on a stream they all but confirmed Fulgrim is coming later in the year with Slaanesh Deamons. Also one good Primarch too in the first half. With AoS getting two different army releases this takes up most if the year already.

Basically it’s year of the throw xenos out. Writing is on the wall. We’re not wanted. We’re a liability at this point to Primarch s and their model ranges. Next year is said to start with Khorne deamons. At this point it seems like a deliberate attempt by GW to excise us and make room for more marines and demons.

Unless the space marine players kick up so much fuss over this it’s going to go through.

That level of doom-and-gloom is not warranted. GW is very likely to keep up its release schedule of approximately 2 codexes per month, until all of the index entries have been updated.

Then we'll likely see something a bit closer to the old release schedule, with splash releases for existing armies, and occasional new codexes dropped.

GW isn't going to throw xenos out of the game. It would be a monumentally stupid thing for them to do, and there is literally no indication that they will go this route.

We also have a pretty good indication that there is something planned for Tau. Lady Atia (the most reliable games workshop rumor monger out there) has stated that there is something new in the works for Tau, which isn't core Tau empire stuff. We have no idea if this means auxiliaries, 'chaos tau', something to do with the lost 4th sphere expansion, a radically redesigned Enclaves, or something entirely different. I'm looking forward to finding out though (and it should be noted that it is EXTREMELY unlikely that this new stuff will be in the upcoming codex).

In short: Chill.

The sky isn't falling, and GW isn't going to axe a huge portion of their IP, or alienate all of their xenos-collecting playerbase.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#1321 » Jan 08 2018 10:18

Her rumor was from the transitory period of GW management. For all we know they shifted gears since then. I want to have your hope and faith they aren't so low as to do that but I've seen companies do a lot of really stupid things and lose their fanbases.

AngryMook
Shas

Post#1322 » Jan 08 2018 10:46

Templates just change numbers, ultimately (I would argue that everything everywhere including our personalities is "just numbers" but whatever). Flavorful rules/units (imo) are rules/units that reasonably represent the fluff behind the game.

White a few of these rules (not all, obviously) in 8th are tied to faction bonuses and available stratagems. While I'm not super familiar with all elder lore, those in the craftworld elder dex do at least seem to be pretty flavorful.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#1323 » Jan 09 2018 01:37

You all failed to get the point. Space Wolves still can't play Space Wolves with a codex even though other Imperial books are out. "But they can proxy them!" isn't an excuse. Players don't WANT to play another codex, they want to play their own codex.

You seriously have to look at each codex as their own thing, because overlapping them into soups doesn't work as you lose all of the benefits within the codex the moment you mix units in the same detachment.

Having a Adeptus Custodes codex helps NO OTHER FACTION but the Adeptus Custodes. It's not a "win" for Imperial armies, it's a win for Adeptus Custodes armies. Does this make sense?
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#1324 » Jan 09 2018 02:08

AnonAmbientLight wrote:You seriously have to look at each codex as their own thing, because overlapping them into soups doesn't work as you lose all of the benefits within the codex the moment you mix units in the same detachment.

There aren't any competitive armies with internally-mixed detachments of course, but "soup" armies, comprised of detachments from different codexes, are some of the strongest armies in the game.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#1325 » Jan 09 2018 03:00

AnonAmbientLight wrote:You all failed to get the point. Space Wolves still can't play Space Wolves with a codex even though other Imperial books are out. "But they can proxy them!" isn't an excuse. Players don't WANT to play another codex, they want to play their own codex.

You seriously have to look at each codex as their own thing, because overlapping them into soups doesn't work as you lose all of the benefits within the codex the moment you mix units in the same detachment.

Having a Adeptus Custodes codex helps NO OTHER FACTION but the Adeptus Custodes. It's not a "win" for Imperial armies, it's a win for Adeptus Custodes armies. Does this make sense?

They can play their armies with meaningfull rules that are very close to what their armies play like
We can't
Same thing?

Space wolf codex is little more then a flavour of ultramarine codex and I am sure any group or opponent outside tournament is going to be fine if you play space wolves as wolves with ultramarines stats before codex drops unless they are toxic ofc, but I doubt more then one or two opponents will play your house tau rules, not even bothering to see if they are balanced and actually better for the game then the index mess

And don't get me wrong, wolves are my favorite loyalists, it's just clear that they don't need codex half as bad as we do and same goes for any "flavour of" armies

Of course SW players want to play with new rules as bad as we do, but they have CA points adjustments, the option to use and choose index rules and rules from other loyalists codices, they know what kind of rules and stats they can expect, they know what units are likely to be used, clearly we need the codex way more then they do, the only units we know we will use from the whole codex are drones and pathfinders, the rest is in the stars, which limits our purchase choices, which hinders our hobbying

And to adress the "points values in CA wouldn't make sense" they promised to give us taste of codex and bring us a bit in line with codex armies, they could easily share rules and points for one or two units we don't use (broadsides, tetras) to calm the community, give us something to work with and play with without breaking the balance, even giving us different, guessed points values for these just to give us something, so this is why I discarded the "wouldn't make sense" argument in my post earlier

Also to adress the hostility towards Jacket, from most of his posts I've red, he didn't strike me as trolling once, hes just pessimistic voice in overly optimistic environment

I may come out pessimistic myself, but I am a realist, and my points come from solid information we have, as I've already stated, and that's pretty negative information so far

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#1326 » Jan 09 2018 03:16

Just to throw out a counter-gloom Pollyanna idea...what if the reason they have our codex so late is that they've made it so good that they expect everyone to start playing Tau as soon as it releases, so get the sales for the other armies knocked out first? :D

I don't really expect that, but it's just as valid as the doom and gloom theories. I'm just going to wait and see what we get. Hopefully a major overhaul, at the least some points and stat updates.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#1327 » Jan 09 2018 03:21

Can you imagine if in sports they had to punish teams who did good? Lol. Oh my god it seems insane. Granted it's not a very good analogy since sports tends to be more fair and balanced than most games are.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#1328 » Jan 09 2018 03:57

AnonAmbientLight wrote:

Ok you're mostly right however making seperate detachments for different factions is fairly simple and also some units/relics/psychic powers /abilities affect all imperial or friendly units so can benefit units outside of their own codex.

The Custodes are already an example of this with their Index Custodes vexilla giving all Imperium units within 6" reroll morale, rowboat girlyman's aura, celestine to name others.

If you bring AM detachment to a Custodes list that use storm Shields they can benefit from the AM stratagem take cover to get a 1+/2++ so 90% of the time you're right but there's definitely evidence of cross codex buffs

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#1329 » Jan 09 2018 04:43

Jacket wrote:There are rumors of two more Primarch s and on a stream they all but confirmed Fulgrim is coming later in the year with Slaanesh Deamons. Also one good Primarch too in the first half. With AoS getting two different army releases this takes up most if the year already.

This whole “GW only cares about Chaos and Imperium” thing is purely based on 6 months of codex releases (one of the most densely packed in their history). It's about as reasonable a logical leap as saying “GW doesn’t care about AoS” because of the relative lack of updates in that same period, or claiming “GW only cares about Xenos” after the inevitable glut of Xenos codexes.

No reasonable person can look at anything GW has done over the past few years and think “Xenos are all being squatted”. It has about as much basis in reality and fact as someone who proclaims the earth will end tomorrow

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#1330 » Jan 09 2018 08:16

For all those complaining that T'au are unplayable, and that we are hated because we didn't get points adjustments, etc... Don't play Matched Play until the codex drops. We do fantastic in most Narrative and Open game modes using our Index and the extra Chapter Approved rules. This is still a game, you know, not a tournament sport. Try out the other parts of the Core Rule Book.

T'au can still be fun. If you are not having fun in Matched Play, try the other two thirds of the game. I can almost guarantee that you will find one of them you enjoy.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#1331 » Jan 09 2018 10:23

The only community here is basically nothing but torunament players or preps for tournament play there is no narrative play or anything else. It really sucks. Hence why I'm so mad when all my armies are so bad this edition.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#1332 » Jan 09 2018 11:08

Jacket wrote:The only community here is basically nothing but torunament players or preps for tournament play there is no narrative play or anything else. It really sucks. Hence why I'm so mad when all my armies are so bad this edition.

Well, if you play with people often you can ask them ahead of time if they want to try one of the other game modes. Or you can talk to your FLGS and see if they are willing to run a narrative or open play event (maybe as a way to sell some Open War cards or something).

Return to “General Discussion”