Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
wighti
Shas

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#307 » Sep 01 2017 06:55

Whether we get a codex or not this year or not won't be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things since we already know that we're getting something in balance patch that's coming in the Chapter approved.

Not to mention that they've said that all non-codex Factions will be getting something in the way of new mechanics that we've seen in 8th. To me this sounds like either a) strategems or b) chapter tactics. Personally I'd go for strategems since, to me atleast from the perspective of playing against them, they do seem to make the game slightly more dynamic and fun to play. In the end either one will be fine.

gualtikhan
Shas

Post#308 » Sep 11 2017 05:30

Well, I think we all know the GW enough to don't complain bout our late release: in fact, in the last years the factions who got the latest releases usually were the stronger ones because they just have more instruments to couter races previously released while having less races able to counter them.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#309 » Sep 11 2017 06:08

My biggest concern is I put my painting on a halt because I am not sure which Septs will be featured with their coresponding special rules.
If I look at Raven Guard or Ultramarines they may have a huge impact on how they play.
Luckily most of my models are still unpainted.
(I am a slow painter)
I know I can paint them as I like and just "have to" change the markings color but I like my army themed.

Two days ago I learned again to not underestimate how many people don't know anything about T'au.

"Okay, these guys look like T'au but are Sa'cea. And these T'au are infact Vior'la."
"Aren't they all T'au?"
"Yes, but they are...well...subfactions."
"Oh, okay. Is it important?
"Yes, as they get rule abc as these ones get rule xyz. Also this one over here buffs only these little dudes."

I also already went over to call my 'uis/'vres "Sergeant" if they are in a unit of 'las/'uis because non T'au players get confused. Weird colorings don't make it easier.
(They made big eyes when I said that these markings do actually mean something)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#310 » Sep 11 2017 06:35

I'm with Ricordis here. Annoying that I "can't" continue my painting because I want to know the Sept rules first. However I keep calling my guys 'vre etc. People gotta learn my stuff as I have to learn their stuff and I don't do compromises there. :P

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#311 » Sep 11 2017 10:09

For the painting side could you not paint whatever colour you like the look of and just say what Sept they are?

I only ask because my tau are infamously known as the LGBT tau because each of my units is painted a different bright colour (my 2 commanders being purple for warlord and pink for secondary)

P.S. I did not paint them to be known as such I just thought the bright colours would be fun and someone called them that and it stuck

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#312 » Sep 11 2017 10:11

Nymphomanius wrote:For the painting side could you not paint whatever colour you like the look of and just say what Sept they are?

I only ask because my tau are infamously known as the LGBT tau because each of my units is painted a different bright colour (my 2 commanders being purple for warlord and pink for secondary)

P.S. I did not paint them to be known as such I just thought the bright colours would be fun and someone called them that and it stuck

As said we'd like to stay true to the fluff. Each Sept has a specific sept color. We can paint the armor however we want since T'au actually try to blend in with their surroundings with their armor but the Sept and Rank markings are supposed to be the color that belongs to the Sept. ;)

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#313 » Sep 11 2017 12:33

You guys can still paint everything but the sept markings though, there is nothing that says that cadre's from different septs can't have the same overall camoflage since that is largely based on the world they're from. I kinda think it would be entertaining for someone to have magnatized heads and shoulder pads for their firewarriors so they can change sept on the fly.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#314 » Sep 11 2017 12:42

Of course but everyone has his own specific method of painting his models and leaving all the spots for my Sept color empty while painting everything else would be kind of weird for me.
Also the camoflage isn't based on their world at all since they could be deployed on a completely different world. It just depends on what narrative you chose for them. So my guys will of course keep their dark green armor plates.

Magnetizing is an interesting idea but I have my Sept color not just on the shoulder pads and heads and of course my Drones and Vehicles wouldn't be able to switch their Sept color as easily either. Also I like to dedicate my guys to one narrative without switching all the time...if I wanted to play a different Septs Cadre I'd start painting a seperate batch of models for them. :P

konradkurze202
Shas

Post#315 » Sep 11 2017 04:32

Ricordis wrote:My biggest concern is I put my painting on a halt because I am not sure which Septs will be featured with their coresponding special rules.

To be fair you can run them as whatever Sept you want regardless of how they are painted. Personally I just paint how I like, then I'll run them as whichever sept has the rules that I think fit my playstyle the best.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#316 » Sep 11 2017 11:13

It's like people respond without actually reading lol

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Post#317 » Sep 11 2017 11:15

Go for an obscure Sept that isn't likely to get rules and then just choose the sept tactics you like most?

Seems like a silly thing to allow to hold you up.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#318 » Sep 11 2017 11:28

Or just wait and choose later on? Geez it's really not a topic worth arguing about, guys.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#319 » Sep 12 2017 01:41

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:For the painting side could you not paint whatever colour you like the look of and just say what Sept they are?

As said we'd like to stay true to the fluff. Each Sept has a specific sept color. We can paint the armor however we want since T'au actually try to blend in with their surroundings with their armor but the Sept and Rank markings are supposed to be the color that belongs to the Sept. ;)

I get that but if a SPESH MARINE player had painted his Marines blue because he likes the colour but said they were a white scars chapter for rules purposes would anyone object to it?

I kinda get what you're saying but the very notion of picking a paint scheme on what rules are best for your play style vs picking colours you actually like seems backwards to me.

But everyone is entitled to paint the models they own however they like who am I to say otherwise :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#320 » Sep 12 2017 09:09

Dunno, man. People used to pick a Space Marine chapter based on fluff and visual representation and stuck to it no matter the rules. They didn't play one day Ultra Marines and the other day White Scars usually.
The only reason why I consider switching Septs is because the T'au Septs fluff isn't really fleshed out yet and it's the first time it actually matters which Sept you're going to represent. Once I decided on the Sept after having the Codex, depending on rules and potential new fluff, I'll stick to that decision as well.
The difference there is that Space Marines have their chapters color all over their armor and T'au usually have it only on some specific parts on their armor (hence why many people confuse their armor color with their Sept color so often).

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#321 » Sep 12 2017 10:08

Hmm, I'm still in the mindset of not giving a damn about colors or "sept marking" (as if we had decals for more than one sept, pff...), not sure why I should even care, unless they retcon this, "sept colors" are made to serve as a cammo in their home environment, insisting on having a specific color scheme when playing specific septs relies on "star wars uniform planet environment fallacy" and "one planet per sept theory".

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#322 » Sep 12 2017 10:34

Gragagrogog wrote:Hmm, I'm still in the mindset of not giving a damn about colors or "sept marking" (as if we had decals for more than one sept, pff...), not sure why I should even care, unless they retcon this, "sept colors" are made to serve as a cammo in their home environment, insisting on having a specific color scheme when playing specific septs relies on "star wars uniform planet environment fallacy" and "one planet per sept theory".

No that's exactly not what Sept colors are. Sept colors are the white on T'au units, orange on Sa'Cea units, red on Vior'la units, grey on Farsight Enclave units etc. Those are always there no matter the environment. The actual armor color serves as camo in the environment (and the armor color they are usually shown in the Codex is the one fitting their homeplanet or some ceremonial armor like the Vior'la white).

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#323 » Sep 12 2017 11:32

Ow what I find interesting in today's Ad mech preview is the war Lord trait. It allows units to shoot their regular weapons in the assault phase while locked in combat. They have to target the unit they are locked with, but that sounds good for us if we get something like that. Especially breachers.

Czar Ziggy

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#324 » Sep 12 2017 12:28

I am still hoping for pulse pistols on every infantry model.

Return to “General Discussion”