Folklore wrote:Taking our temperature as a community. We all have a lot of hopes for the coming codex but after chapter approved im feeling less and less optimistic. Im asking some questions and posting my thoughts so I don't go crazy.
1. Do you think our index is internally imbalanced?
I feel there are many units, upgrades and weapons that are at best redundant and at worst are just objectively bad choices to make. I love my riptides and I hate that when I put them on the table I know ive made a poor decision. We all know a T'au army can win but 9 times out of 10 the list feels WAAC.
2. 8th edition is a faster game, with more wounding. Range, weapon strength and AP seem to be less exacting than it was in 7th. Do you agree?
I think this further undermines the choices we can make and some traditionally strong suits for the T'au. Why would you ever take plasma over fusion? That use to be an important choice.
3. Do you think our army synergies and force multipliers are weak/don't feel effective?
I feel most other armies have special rules, stratagems or just plain better stats that make our markerlights and auras a joke. savior protocols are really neat but I find drones way to easy to kill before I get to take advantage and i would happily give them up to get JSJ back. and a JSJ stratagem is not a solution.
4. Do you think there is an alpha strike problem in 8th edition?
I think there is and I think its to blame for most of our struggles. The designers are trying to adjust for this alpha strike issue but that leaves T'au in limbo. Making us "more effective" at the one thing we do (shooting) puts more strain on the alpha strike issue. it feels like they are padding us with more redundancy, rather than fixing issues.
1. God no. the internal and external balance is just plain bad. Look at the Airbursting frag projector. WHY would you ever take it?? Every platform falls short of the commander. Yes he should be good but there's no good reason why something like a riptide or ghostkeel is EVER outclassed and shown up by our commanders. Commanders should offer better buffs with less firepower and our MAINSTAY of deepstriking weapons platforms should be our crisis. Period.
2. I've noticed that there are a LOT more dice in 8th which allow for average dice rolling to be more prevalent rather than rolling and rerolling 10 or so dice and all of them always hitting and wounding. I've also noticed certain types of games are taking a lot longer because we are counting SOOO many dice to roll. I played against AM conscript spam and I had massive drone spam with a fireblade. We both were counting 90+ dice. Range still very much matters, and weapon strength just didn't get the same tweak and buff as everyone's toughness did. I personally like the AP changes to make the middle AP values useful against strong armored people. It was dumb that something like a rocket didn't force a harder save on termies and the like. I also like the fact that we can still make saves against most things that used to kill us outright even if we were in cover.
3. Yes, our synergies are currently very weak. It seems that for now we have to work a LOT harder to get weaker buffs than many other armies get very easily/cheaply. I hate that we lost JSJ and our mobility. We used to be fairly decent about moving around the board and now it's not so great. Definitely have noticed that has taken a big hit.
4. Yes, it seems to be fairly common in 8th to win if you go first which was not the case as much in previous editions because of fast mobile objective holders (looking at you eldar jetbikes) snagging last second objectives with the final turn.