Upcoming T'au Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 122

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1369 » Jan 12 2018 05:25

I just played an eldar wraith army.
They are short range, but you feel like you are actually doing something hitting on 3s, and they are very durable as well. It just reinforces the feeling I have that tau need a serious buff to any number of these: accuracy, mobility, firepower, durability, range and close combat.

User avatar
Beerson
Shas'Saal
Posts: 127

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1370 » Jan 12 2018 01:56

The acurracy is something that really needs to improve from both game and fluff perspective

as a shooting only, semi-elite army (you cant deny that our army is battlesuit focused since they are the units that have all the specialty weapons) we shoul have quite reliable shooting, especially with 1 damage weapons everywhere

fluffwise we have eyes that focus more but slower then humans do, which hinders close combat but boosts shooting acurracy a lot

User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 122

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1371 » Jan 12 2018 05:08

Beerson wrote:The acurracy is something that really needs to improve from both game and fluff perspective

as a shooting only, semi-elite army (you cant deny that our army is battlesuit focused since they are the units that have all the specialty weapons) we shoul have quite reliable shooting, especially with 1 damage weapons everywhere

fluffwise we have eyes that focus more but slower then humans do, which hinders close combat but boosts shooting acurracy a lot

Not only that but we have the best optics equipment out there.

User avatar
FoxZz
Shas
Posts: 11

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1372 » Jan 12 2018 05:15

And also probably the most advanced Fire Control Systems, which is what matters the most for accuracy.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 356

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1373 » Jan 12 2018 08:07

Balancing aside and it might sound super fan-boyish but T'au should be superior in any field except melee and soldier count.
The firecaste is literally a race of high skilled hunters trained in synergetic tactics and long range warfare. Commanders are tactical geniuses and the presence of an Ethereal should raise a T'au army's power significantly. The AI is able to bring a battlesuit safely out of the warzone and even do damage before to save the (wounded) pilot and suit itself.

I see, why T'au can't all have 2+ BS with S8 weapons and 30" range minimum. The game still needs to be balanced. But if the balancing goes in a direction where the whole identity is lost it hurts.
It's like cutting away step by step the vehicles from AM.

T'au fluff is really far away from what is shown on the table. And I don't even talk about the novels. The codex/index contradicts oneself; telling us on the first pages how great T'au technology and overall warfare is and a few pages later it reveals itself as lie.

Get your pitchforks ready: I would really like to see T'au go a low model count elite army where it is not about how many damage a model can pull out per point but how good you can combine your different units rulewise.
Currently the only "synergies" T'au have are HQ models buffing other models (and not even well) and laughable markerlights.
Even the straight-forward Blood Angels have more synergies.

User avatar
Haechi
Shas'Saal
Posts: 170

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1374 » Jan 12 2018 10:07

Ricordis wrote:Balancing aside and it might sound super fan-boyish but T'au should be superior in any field except melee and soldier count. I would really like to see T'au go a low model count elite army.


In Warzone Damocles they talk about millions of T'au soldiers though...

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2614

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1375 » Jan 12 2018 10:09

Haechi wrote:
Ricordis wrote:Balancing aside and it might sound super fan-boyish but T'au should be superior in any field except melee and soldier count. I would really like to see T'au go a low model count elite army.

In Warzone Damocles they talk about millions of T'au soldiers though...

Against billions of Imperial Guardsmen probably :D

User avatar
MNGamer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 107

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1376 » Jan 12 2018 10:29

Arka0415 wrote:
Haechi wrote:
Ricordis wrote:Balancing aside and it might sound super fan-boyish but T'au should be superior in any field except melee and soldier count. I would really like to see T'au go a low model count elite army.

In Warzone Damocles they talk about millions of T'au soldiers though...

Against billions of Imperial Guardsmen probably :D


Image
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal
Posts: 124

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1377 » Jan 13 2018 03:47

Arka0415 wrote:
Against billions of Imperial Guardsmen probably :D

And several hundred space marines :sad:

User avatar
leo1925
Shas
Posts: 91

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1378 » Jan 13 2018 05:16

Ricordis wrote:Even the straight-forward Blood Angels have more synergies.


Blood angels have great buffing HQs (including several named characters) and one of the best codices while still being (enough) internally balanced, i play blood angels and the only issues i have with the codex is with 2-3 units and a couple of weapons, and most of the problems are that the rules don't exactly align with the FAQ (for example the sanguinary guard doesn't have the bodyguard rule, sure the unit is fine as it is but they are supposed to be bodyguards and they aren't).

I think that we will be glad if we get a codex as good as the blood angels one.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 356

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1379 » Jan 13 2018 06:14

Went to my FLGS today and before I left I said to the new manager:"Tell me something."
He stood there, thought a moment:
"You play T'au?"
"Yeah."
"[Nicht mehr lang]"
"Yeah, it is always [Nicht mehr lang]. I want to use my broadsides again and I am sick of Commander and Gun Drone spam."
He smiled :"[Nicht mehr lang]"

Okay, for the non german speaking audience I have to explain why we rejoice:
You may translate "Nicht mehr lang" in multiple ways. Most obvious as "soon". But also as "not for long" and "will end soon".

So there might be a hint for a broadside comeback and/or ending the commander/gun drone spam.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2614

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1380 » Jan 13 2018 07:16

Ricordis wrote:Went to my FLGS today and before I left I said to the new manager:"Tell me something."
He stood there, thought a moment:
"You play T'au?"
"Yeah."
"[Nicht mehr lang]"
"Yeah, it is always [Nicht mehr lang]. I want to use my broadsides again and I am sick of Commander and Gun Drone spam."
He smiled :"[Nicht mehr lang]"

Okay, for the non german speaking audience I have to explain why we rejoice:
You may translate "Nicht mehr lang" in multiple ways. Most obvious as "soon". But also as "not for long" and "will end soon".

So there might be a hint for a broadside comeback and/or ending the commander/gun drone spam.

Sounds like he knows something then! :D

See, the funny thing about store managers is that sometimes they just don't know anything. I had a chat with the regional manager for GW at a local store the other day, and the guy didn't know which books had just been released. The store's floor manager had to remind him that they were Custodes and Thousand Sons.

Hopefully your guy knows a little more! Looking forward to the codex release soon :biggrin:

User avatar
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal
Posts: 247
Contact:

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1381 » Jan 13 2018 07:33

well my FLGS is doing a restocking of warhammer goods and one of the "needs to go" items (no longer standard stock) was the crisis suit box.
And my GW shop is also doing a restock with loads of stuff going off the shelf.. didn't notice any tau amongst it though

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 356

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1382 » Jan 13 2018 08:02

Saw the same.
As the manager was talking to another customer I sat down where he paints and there was a GW Letter in english how to restock the shelves with picture and so on. Also a list of items which have to be displayed. Dated Jan 13th.
Sadly half the letter was obscured by other papers and painting material So I didn't see the whole list. At least tzeentch stuff was there.
But on the part where they wrote about which items have to go they only said "remainders".

Now as we talk about that...in my FLGS T'au stuff has moved from the the dark back corner near the cash register.

User avatar
Beerson
Shas'Saal
Posts: 127

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1383 » Jan 13 2018 09:00

To adress the FLGS predictions, I thing the nich mehr lang was ment as no more commander spam, and tau stuff near cash register has two explanations imo, first tau codex will drop in two months, and we will probly get a leak a bit sooner then that, so one part could be expected hype, second part, tau look cool to outsiders, especially since anime is becoming mainstream and the recent show knights and magic likely revived the interest in mecha in anime community, also we have cool looking infantry, cool suits in big variety and not that bad tanks

Just to keep the hype limited so we aint let down too much

But I hope you are right, and with codex we get some new cool model(s), personally I would like different tank sculpt, mabe bigger to fit between hammerhead and riptide, but no more tau sept infantry, we have plenty of that, maybe farsight stuff

Calisk
Shas
Posts: 1

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1384 » Jan 13 2018 09:46

What do you think the odds of us getting rules for 1 or more of the eight along side the farsight enclave.

Wouldn't require any new models just specific weapon load outs and some rules really.

Wes
Shas
Posts: 5

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1385 » Jan 13 2018 10:07

I'm excited by the idea of new models. But as someone who just picked up the game a few months ago, I'm also dreading it. I haven't gotten a lot of use out of the models I already own. If new Crisis Suit models are released, for example, I'll feel tempted to buy. I was looking forward to a short period of time where I had 2,500 points and didn't need to spend a lot of money on models for awhile! :P (no one ever reaches that point, though, right?)

I know I can use the existing models - they don't go out of date and don't become illegal. So it's my own fault if I feel pressured to buy newer ones.

User avatar
Beerson
Shas'Saal
Posts: 127

Re: Upcoming T'au Codex

Post#1386 » Jan 13 2018 11:17

Wes wrote:I'm excited by the idea of new models. But as someone who just picked up the game a few months ago, I'm also dreading it. I haven't gotten a lot of use out of the models I already own. If new Crisis Suit models are released, for example, I'll feel tempted to buy. I was looking forward to a short period of time where I had 2,500 points and didn't need to spend a lot of money on models for awhile! :P (no one ever reaches that point, though, right?)

I know I can use the existing models - they don't go out of date and don't become illegal. So it's my own fault if I feel pressured to buy newer ones.


Don't worry, crisis suits, broadsides, fire warriors, drones, hammerheads and all the specialty suits will stay the same, as they were updated or released relatively recently, if we get new models for existing units, it will likely be vespid or kroot, more likely we will get new unit, my money is on either more kroot or demiurg (I kinda hope it's not demiurg though and we get different way of psychic defense then non-tau models)

We might get new character model though, and I am really hoping we get non-T'au sept Longstrike, as this is something I really dislike about the current keywords, if you want to play tanks, you need to play T'au sept, also it's about time longstrike's suit is put into production for other septs

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests