Mission: Patrol

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Mission: Patrol

Post#1 » Jul 08 2017 06:03

Me and my friend started a campaign today and played Patrol as first mission.

Either we played it wrong or this mission is absolutely unfair...especially fur T'au.
If both players have about the same amount of power you roll off the roles: Attacker or Defender

Both players have the same starting conditions: Same size of starting zones and place 3 units. One unit has to be from the troops-slot. Defender places first.
Defenders' reserves arrive on 3+, Attackers' on 4+.
Arrive automatically on turn 4.
While the defender can use up to two CPs to make the attackers' reserve rolls -2 the attacker may only use 1 CP for a +1.
5-7 turns are played, every eliminated unit is worth 1 victory point... (I look at you drones!)

Is this mission really that unbalanced or did we do anything wrong?

Attacking with T'au is horrible! You got a list full of synergies (because T'au) but you can't count on arriving them as needed. Imagine a Cadre Fireblade arriving alone looking straight into 10 Sniper Barrels.
True story

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Mission: Patrol

Post#2 » Jul 08 2017 06:58

Attacking with T'au is extremely difficult in any mission. We just aren't as mobile as many other armies. If you really want to benefit from all the aura effects our army gets, then you pretty much need to keep your whole army in an 18" diameter circle blob, and if you want to move and retain the firepower of some other armies, you need markerlights(3 hits) or you need to use Master of War(I forgot which does which).
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 08 2017 09:29

That mission isn't balanced, none of the campaign missions are.

Play those for fun and just enjoy the narrative.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 09 2017 08:33

I've played 2 Patrol Missions so far. In both I was the attacker. In both I wiped the board.

In my case something that helped a lot was using a Devilfish to deploy two 5 man squads of Fire Warriors and an Ethereal to the board as one drop, two 5-man Pathfinder teams with a full load of Drones each, and a 10 man Fire Warrior team with two drones using the Patrol In Force Stratagem on page 201. This let me put a lot of firepower on the board from the getgo with some synergies and hold off until I could call in my Crisis team later in the game. Either way, the deployment map for Patrol really favors the long range of our Firewarriors supported by Pulse Accelerators.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 09 2017 09:26

My friend dropped some cloaked scouts with sniper rifles into a multilevel ruin right in front of my deployment zone.
To overcome this danger I started with a TY7 filled with Breachers, XV25s and 5 Pathfinders.
I thought it was a good start to quickly erase this threat before I get besieged in my own deployment zone. But then my reserves delayed and all I got turn 2 and 3 were 5 pathfinders and a ghostkeel.
Against 2 devastor squads (one with laser cannons, the other with grav), assault marines and tac marines.
And i simply wasn't able to put that 4th ML on the scouts to deny their cover save (2+ >_>). 9 Pathfinders and 1 Shas'ui and still never more than 3 MLs

But anyway, who thought it was a good idea to write a mission where both sides start with the same conditions but the reserves come delayed for one side while the other side can delay that even more.
TFG writing at its' best.

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 09 2017 09:48

Its a narrative mission, its not really meant to be balanced, they are about making a story and you should probably really just come up with a narrative with your buddy and maybe agree who is attacker / defender before building lists ect.

Return to “General Discussion”