SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 81

SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#1 » Jul 10 2017 11:36

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

So, this is an interesting article. It essentially says that these rules were designed to ruin a Tau players day, specifically mentioning Kauyon and Firewarriors. It also mentions them being a counter for Flamers in overwatch.

So aside from this adding to the general "dear Tau players: hahaha" feel of a lot of the 8th ed. changes, how would you deal with this? It looks liketheir grenades are what causes them to not be overwatch-able (yeah, thats a word, deal with it), so I'm assuming they will only be able to hit so many units with them in one go. More points spent on speedbumps/tarpits and clumping up our back-line more?

An interesting note, it also mentions it being a good way to deal with units that have +BS in overwatch, which I didn't think was a thing as it says overwatch ALWAYS hits on a 6+ regardless of BS. Is that foreshadowing some future rules/abilities maybe? Or did I miss something?

If it's just referring to getting off Markerlight hits in the charge phase then thats a little boring and very specific.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal
Posts: 44

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#2 » Jul 10 2017 12:14

An interesting note, it also mentions it being a good way to deal with units that have +BS in overwatch, which I didn't think was a thing as it says overwatch ALWAYS hits on a 6+ regardless of BS. Is that foreshadowing some future rules/abilities maybe? Or did I miss something?


I'm totally thinking that this will be a thing. Modifying BS would be huge in overwatch. Hopefully we get this ability in a codex. It's defiantly coming.

User avatar
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 955

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#3 » Jul 10 2017 12:30

Asurmen and Dire Avengers always hit on Overwatch at BS5+ (why Eldar got it, of all armies, I don't know) - that's the only change to OW I've seen.

On Reivers: they can't ride any transport aside the Repulsor and, AFAIK, don't have any kind of different deployment style. If they have to walk the field, just shoot at them.
Howling Banshees didn't let us Overwatch back in 7th and it wasn't a big deal.
Also, their name is pretty ugly! :P

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#4 » Jul 10 2017 12:35

I honestly couldn't care less about not being able to Overwatch. I never relied on hitting on 6s to get anything done so if I'll get in a situation where I NEED to kill via Overwatch I already did something wrong to begin with.
Overwatch is nice (especially on flamer) and so is the ability to shoot overwatch with nearby units, but having it or not having it rarely makes a real difference.

User avatar
Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui
Posts: 596

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#5 » Jul 10 2017 01:25

From the wording of the article, the Reivers can impose an effective penalty on a unit they didn't assault through their Shock Grenades, and it seems implied that that penalty will be effective throughout the opponent's next shooting phase.

So, better Pulse Grenades, that ALSO do other stuff. Good to know some things never change. ;)

User avatar
Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal
Posts: 57

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#6 » Jul 10 2017 07:46

If they're assaulting your fire warriors, it means they aren't focusing on your suits, which is pretty funny. Even more humorous will be the face of your opponent when you fall back from combat and then blast them to smithereens :evil:

While it may be a giant middle finger to Tau players, they seem to be more evil in theory than on the table. If they deploy via middle game mechanics, make sure you slap an EWO on a broadside or Stormsurge and watch the hilarity ensue.

Or, be a massive troll and assault them first with a devilfish :P "What's that, salty SM players? I can't hear you over T7 and no leadership checks! Oh and now you're stuck in combat unless you want them to get shot at next turn and not do anything..."
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#7 » Jul 10 2017 08:01

Vector Strike wrote:Also, their name is pretty ugly! :P


"To reive" means to raid, plunder, or loot something... but it's not used in contemporary English, so it just looks like a misspelled word. I agree, ugly. And with all the IoM units... who's going to remember the difference between Intercessor, Interceptor, and Inceptor? :?

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 334

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#8 » Jul 10 2017 08:39

For us non native english speakers this is hilarious difficult. And as non Space Marine player even more.
I still don't know which is which and I played against them twice.

User avatar
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 955

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#9 » Jul 10 2017 09:33

Ricordis wrote:For us non native english speakers this is hilarious difficult. And as non Space Marine player even more.
I still don't know which is which and I played against them twice.


after playing with a list basically made of only primaris, I've managed to memorize:
- Intercessor: troops
- Interceptor: they don't have those - it's a 7th ed special rule!
- Inceptor: their 'Crisis' suits; marines with super jump packs

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 334

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#10 » Jul 10 2017 09:54

See? I even didn't recognize the wrong one.
Primaris Assault Marines, Primaris Tactical Marines, ... too easy, isn't it?

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#11 » Jul 10 2017 10:27

Vector Strike wrote:after playing with a list basically made of only primaris, I've managed to memorize:
- Intercessor: troops
- Interceptor: they don't have those - it's a 7th ed special rule!
- Inceptor: their 'Crisis' suits; marines with super jump packs


Ah, but Interceptor is a unit! It's the Grey Knight jump pack guy :P

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#12 » Jul 10 2017 10:57

Ricordis wrote:For us non native english speakers this is hilarious difficult. And as non Space Marine player even more.
I still don't know which is which and I played against them twice.

Speak for yourself. I think it's fairly easy. :D

User avatar
GND
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 116

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#13 » Jul 11 2017 03:20

A leaked Reivers datasheet is floating around the internet.

They have a terrible max unit size, no deployment options, no Close Combat AP and their overwatch preventing grenades only work on INFANTRY.

They kill 2.22 Firewariors in CC.

I think it's safe to say that the Tactica Spotlight is glorified marketing and we are not facing anything that would ruin "a good Kauyon" :D

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#14 » Jul 11 2017 03:59

GND wrote:A leaked Reivers datasheet is floating around the internet.

They have a terrible max unit size, no deployment options, no Close Combat AP and their overwatch preventing grenades only work on INFANTRY.

They kill 2.22 Firewariors in CC.

I think it's safe to say that the Tactica Spotlight is glorified marketing and we are not facing anything that would ruin "a good Kauyon" :D


That unit is absolute trash! Though, that datasheet has to be the rules for the starter set. Keyword even says "Ultramarines" so we know it's for the starter set actually. The full rules should add infiltrate, deep strike, higher unit count, options for Bolt Rifles, Power Weapons, and Grav weapons, and possibly a rule that interacts with overwatch.

User avatar
Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 882

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#15 » Jul 11 2017 10:22

Actual stats in Spanish out. Tau, you will be fine. Ignore the human scare tactics and propaganda. Hurt feelings cards are available in the infirmary.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

User avatar
Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui
Posts: 596

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#16 » Jul 11 2017 12:00

Arka0415 wrote:
GND wrote:A leaked Reivers datasheet is floating around the internet.

They have a terrible max unit size, no deployment options, no Close Combat AP and their overwatch preventing grenades only work on INFANTRY.

They kill 2.22 Firewariors in CC.

I think it's safe to say that the Tactica Spotlight is glorified marketing and we are not facing anything that would ruin "a good Kauyon" :D


That unit is absolute trash! Though, that datasheet has to be the rules for the starter set. Keyword even says "Ultramarines" so we know it's for the starter set actually. The full rules should add infiltrate, deep strike, higher unit count, options for Bolt Rifles, Power Weapons, and Grav weapons, and possibly a rule that interacts with overwatch.


I dunno about special weapons, since even the Propaganda Pa... er, the "Tactica Spotlight" acknowledged that Reivers make up for their lack of special weapons through increased durability, higher numbers of attacks in CQC, and their better-than-average basic weapon.

User avatar
Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui
Posts: 596

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#17 » Jul 11 2017 12:02

Vay wrote:Actual stats in Spanish out. Tau, you will be fine. Ignore the human scare tactics and propaganda. Hurt feelings cards are available in the infirmary.


Good to know.

Does the -1 penalty to shoot apply only during that turn (i.e. only during Overwatch), or until the beginning of the next turn?

How are the Reivers deployable? What options do they have?

...Or are you judging a unit based entirely on their statline? Because that would be a bit... ill-conceived.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: SM Reivers Tactica Spotlight

Post#18 » Jul 11 2017 12:03

Unusualsuspect wrote:
Vay wrote:Actual stats in Spanish out. Tau, you will be fine. Ignore the human scare tactics and propaganda. Hurt feelings cards are available in the infirmary.


Good to know.

Does the -1 penalty to shoot apply only during that turn (i.e. only during Overwatch), or until the beginning of the next turn?

How are the Reivers deployable? What options do they have?

...Or are you judging a unit based entirely on their statline? Because that would be a bit... ill-conceived.

I bet my army that he was only refering to the leaked datasheet from the start playing box....which most likely doesn't have all the rules the unit in the Codex will have.

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests