High potential understrengths?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: High potential understrengths?

Post#55 » Jul 19 2017 06:47

Going to hop back in this thread- I posted the following question to the 40k Facebook page:
A recent FAQ added in the option of taking under-strength units for points. What are the limitations of this rule?

Can a Tau Sunshark Bomber unit be taken under-strength so that it's just the two Interceptor Drones, and not the Bomber? Likewise, could the Bomber be used with just one Interceptor Drone, or no Interceptor Drones?

I got the following, probably canned, response:
That's actually a good question. We will pass that one on to the studio.

Hopefully we'll get a clarification in the next FAQ. For the time being, it's RAW open season on trying out under-strength units.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Jul 19 2017 11:57

It's a good question in that vehicles can have passengers or extra guns on them so how under-strength works with them can be unclear.

For the Sunshark Bomber though, it's preeeeeeettty clear that you can't just take the drones. Maybe go without one or two of them, but to just take the drones and not the bomber completely abuses the purpose of the under-strength rule.

That and you're sure to lose friends.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#57 » Jul 20 2017 01:15

AnonAmbientLight wrote:It's a good question in that vehicles can have passengers or extra guns on them so how under-strength works with them can be unclear.

For the Sunshark Bomber though, it's preeeeeeettty clear that you can't just take the drones. Maybe go without one or two of them, but to just take the drones and not the bomber completely abuses the purpose of the under-strength rule.

That and you're sure to lose friends.

I think so too, yeah. Hopefully the question will just make someone think over on the GW game design team and maybe make them realize that the under-strength rule has some odd issues which should get a nice clarifying paragraph in the next FAQ.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#58 » Sep 07 2017 08:47

I know this is a bump but me and some friends had this discussion the other day and we agreed as a house rule you have to bring any understrength units as an auxiliary detachment which costs 1CP to bring, my marine playing friend uses it to drop the Sgt on his devastators which is fine by me and saves him a few points to use elsewhere but only works if everyone was on the same page

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#59 » Sep 07 2017 09:46

Congratulations, you've house ruled something to match the official rules, exactly. :D

From the last rulebook FAQ update:

Page 242 – Understrength Units
Change the second paragraph to read:
‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay
the Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized
unit, even though it contains fewer models. If you are
using points, you only pay the points for the models
you actually have in an understrength unit (and any
wargear they are equipped with). An understrength
unit still takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.
If you are playing a matched play game, you can
only include an understrength unit in an Auxiliary
Support Detachment.’

Return to “General Discussion”