Tau Take 2nd Place at Wet Coast GT 2017

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau Take 2nd Place at Wet Coast GT 2017

Post#19 » Jul 16 2017 01:19

Sa'cea Mont'yr wrote: Where there a lot of charges going on? Your two lists are very different, but both aggressive. Did he use them both on the shooting before the charge and in defense?

How did the Vespid perform for you? I've got a squad I've been intending on trying out, and am really interested to hear how they did, and especially in a tournament setting.

Are Kroot worth more than as anything but bubblewrap? If so, what kind of situations where they in?

How did the Sunshark perform? It was very lackluster in last edition.

Thanks again for the info. And well done representing Tau!

No worries! It was fun to see something mentioned that I was involved with!

The kroot were little more than a speedbump. But did their job well.

Vespids were fun. But I think they would have been more effective in a larger unit. They excelled in dropping behind enemy lines and causing my opponent to split their focus. Peeling assault troops away from the charge and having some decent firepower.

The Sunshark was amazing. Against marines especially. Wiped out about 24 marines by himself by just dropping bombs. His normal weapons rarely had an effect but that bomb is sooo juicy against infantry.

And yes for a tau on tau game there was quite a bit of charging. Although reluctantly on both of our sides as both armies had a lot of fly units, and soooo much overwatch...

What lost me the game was losing first turn to him in which deepstrking commanders destroyed my hammerheads, and the my counter deep strike failing to wound. Most notably the large amount of ones my coldstar rolled trying to take on his coldstar.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jul 16 2017 09:00

Megildur wrote:Hey! I played him in that tournament and I actually played as Tau. We played the last game together. It was the third place table. If I had managed to beat him I probably would have nabbed 3rd place :).

Wet Coast doesn't allow Forgeworld in the official rules, did they give you an exception with those Technical Drones?

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Jul 16 2017 10:00

On their website they said no forgeworld. But the week before they held a survey on their Facebook page and overwhelming got responses to allow forgeworld. Their only restriction was that it couldn't be anything over power level 35. That said, The drones performed really underwhelmingly. Probably would have done better with something like a riptide.

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jul 16 2017 01:12

I'm glad for the input guys! I'm also glad something else other than commander spam did good. My only critique of his list (besides the commanders) is the amount of pathfinders he used - I have 10 in my 1500 list but that's because I have units that will largely benefit from them. Not to say 2+ rerolling fusion is bad by any stretch of the imagination but it seemed like he could have used more anti infantry in comparison.

I'm curious if he came up against any mob armies? I could foresee Tyranids causing him problems. Orks less so as you're able to obliterate any of their useful units by picking them apart.

Finally, were there any wraithspam Eldar lists? I've seen those become popular with having 2-3 large wraithguard units in wave serpents. Dark Eldar (Drew Carey :P) look nasty as well since their lances hurt suits really bad.
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jul 16 2017 03:19

Arka0415 wrote:
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight, 2x Marker Drones (62)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Did I miss something? We're 5 points under.

Downgrade the fireblade drones to gun drones
Add a gun drone to 1 of the Tac drone units

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Jul 16 2017 08:29

Glarblar wrote:Downgrade the fireblade drones to gun drones
Add a gun drone to 1 of the Tac drone units

We're looking for what he actually brought in the tournament.

EDIT: Ah, that's what you were talking about! Thanks!
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jul 17 2017 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jul 16 2017 11:09

No need to guess! Ive got his actual list on the previous page! Heres the link I posted before.

https://imgur.com/a/9fmrc

This is the list he uploaded to the app (best coast pairings) when we played the tournament.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Jul 17 2017 12:41

Megildur wrote:No need to guess! Ive got his actual list on the previous page! Heres the link I posted before.

https://imgur.com/a/9fmrc

This is the list he uploaded to the app (best coast pairings) when we played the tournament.

Thanks!

DarkRaptor
Shas

Post#27 » Jul 26 2017 11:51

I modded this list up to 2000 for the CoC I was at the weekend after Wetcoast and got into a 4 way tie for first with it. Ill be using something similar at BAO this weekend. I always troll around ATT before events to see what other Shas'o come up with.

For the record, drones in the devil fish is one of the strongest tools in our tool box. You can say i spammed commanders in this army but that is a little off. I took what I needed to make sure I could kill flyers.
2014 ITC Champion
2014/2015 Best Tau

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jul 27 2017 12:30

DarkRaptor wrote:I modded this list up to 2000 for the CoC I was at the weekend after Wetcoast and got into a 4 way tie for first with it. Ill be using something similar at BAO this weekend. I always troll around ATT before events to see what other Shas'o come up with.

For the record, drones in the devil fish is one of the strongest tools in our tool box. You can say i spammed commanders in this army but that is a little off. I took what I needed to make sure I could kill flyers.

Great to see you around the forums! Congratulations on your win. If you'd like, post your 2000pt list up in the Cadre Building board and I'm sure lots of people would be interested in checking it out.

Dsurion
Shas

Post#29 » Aug 05 2017 11:43

DarkRaptor wrote:For the record, drones in the devil fish is one of the strongest tools in our tool box. You can say i spammed commanders in this army but that is a little off. I took what I needed to make sure I could kill flyers.

Can you say more about how the Drones in the Devilfish played out and how you used them?

Return to “General Discussion”