Tau Take 2nd Place at Wet Coast GT 2017

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Tau Take 2nd Place at Wet Coast GT 2017

Post#1 » Jul 15 2017 02:33

For those who are worried about the state of the Tau coming into 8th Edition, here's a little ray of hope. A Tau army took 2nd Place at the recent Wet Coast GT tournament!

Tournament Web Site: http://www.wetcoastgt.com/

BoK Information: http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/07/13/wetcoast-gt-2017-recap-lists/

Tau Army List: http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Paul-McKelvey-2rd-Overall-Wet-Coast-GT-2017.pdf

Now, I'm sure the first thing you'll notice is that there are a lot of typos in that link- they have since been corrected and the actual list is posted below:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Gun Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Gun Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x CIBs, 1x Drone Controller, 2x Marker Drones (155)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ ATS, Target Lock, 1x Gun Drone (156)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight, 2x Marker Drones (62)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Homing Beacon, Drone Controller, 2x Marker Drones (135)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Homing Beacon, Drone Controller, 2x Marker Drones (135)
Elites - 3x XV8 Battlesuits w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Fusion Blasters, 6x Gun Drones (291)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 2x Ion Rifles, 2x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 2x Ion Rifles, 2x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (127)

Total: 1649 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

If anyone is familiar with how this list was used, what was that single Gun Drone doing?

Of course, Commander spam wins (or gets second) as many of us expected. ITC format was used, which explains the tiny Gun Drone squads. The weapons we expected to be good (Fusion Blasters, Cyclic Ion Blasters, Ion Rifles) all showed up, and the army also packs a serious amount of Markerlights- 18 in total! 14 drops in total, but it's likely that the Fireblade and bith of the Drone squads deployed in the Devilfish, reducing the total number of drops.

Any thoughts on the tournament or this list?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jul 17 2017 12:45, edited 6 times in total.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau Take 2nd Place at Wet Coast GT 2017

Post#2 » Jul 15 2017 02:54

Just FYI, your corrections are incorrect.

I'm pretty sure one of the drone squads was 4 strong, not 5, that would mean the fireblade, his drones and both drone squads could fit in the Dfish making 4 drops into 1.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 15 2017 03:07

PeeJ wrote:Just FYI, your corrections are incorrect.

I'm pretty sure one of the drone squads was 4 strong, not 5, that would mean the fireblade, his drones and both drone squads could fit in the Dfish making 4 drops into 1.

Could be. Drop those Drones though, and where do you think the rest of the points were? Do you think there really was that lonely Gun Drone on that Coldstar?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#4 » Jul 15 2017 03:20

This is the latest incarnation of Ninja Tau as played by Paul McKelvey (aka DarkRaptor on this forum).

Two Stealth teams to deliver Homing Beacons. Fusion Commanders and a Crisis team to drop in and take full advantage. The list is designed to be played aggressively, the one game he lost he said it was because he made the mistake of trying to sit back and get another turn of ranged shooting against Orks.

Nice list. Lots of good things in there. Has a distinct play style that the player has been using for many years and just adapting to each new codex or edition of the game.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 15 2017 03:21

-Commander spam, which I don't like for thematic reasons, but mkay
-Flamers on XV8's, 2 homing beacons for 1 flamer unit (yea I know you can use it for the fusion commanders, but it's probably there more for redundancy if you don't get 1st turn than for fusion commanders)
-How did s/he used the devilfish? For fireblade and 1 gun drone's unit? Having pathfinders in a reserve for mid/late game? Just as a barrier for assault armies?
-Minimal units everywhere, (you asked for it GW with this battleshock system), lots of small markerlight units(2-3ML per unit), allowing some precise dosing without overshooting too much
-Can't see this being a good list if you'd play normal kill points though, with 22 killpoints
-Also WTH is with that total points? 1650, is that ITC standard now or wetcoast specific? I though the 1850 standard would move to 2000 if anything...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 15 2017 07:39

Gragagrogog wrote:How did s/he used the devilfish? For fireblade and 1 gun drone's unit? Having pathfinders in a reserve for mid/late game? Just as a barrier for assault armies?

According to analysis of the tournament, it seems the Fireblade and Drones were put in there, to minimize number of drops.

Gragagrogog wrote:Also WTH is with that total points? 1650, is that ITC standard now or wetcoast specific? I though the 1850 standard would move to 2000 if anything...

I think this is just Wetcoast being funky.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 15 2017 07:54

Arka0415 wrote:According to analysis of the tournament, it seems the Fireblade and Drones were put in there, to minimize number of drops.

Nevermind, I wrote it when it was two 5 drone teams so they couldn't fit in DF.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 15 2017 08:44

Gragagrogog wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:According to analysis of the tournament, it seems the Fireblade and Drones were put in there, to minimize number of drops.

Nevermind, I wrote it when it was two 5 drone teams so they couldn't fit in DF.

Yeah, still trying to figure out what the actual list was.

Ted the Tau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 15 2017 02:53

Hooray!

The list is not something I'd personally enjoy playing but it's good to see that we're still doing fine in some form or another :P

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 15 2017 05:48

Other than the bulk of pathfinders, and the burst cannons on the crisis, nothing really surprises me here.

Its the spam of all the things we figured will be our backbone back on day 1.

Actually, about the crisis, the site says they had fusions, no crisis.
Are we sure about their loadout? (and how are the guns split between them?)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jul 15 2017 06:51

boomwolf wrote:Actually, about the crisis, the site says they had fusions

Haha, you are correct! I had just written "burst cannons" twice before, so I guess it flowed :P

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 15 2017 07:11

Arka0415 wrote:
boomwolf wrote:Actually, about the crisis, the site says they had fusions

Haha, you are correct! I had just written "burst cannons" twice before, so I guess it flowed :P

Also the Fireblade's points are slightly off. It should be 62 points.

We're still off by 5 points though.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jul 15 2017 07:17

knute wrote:Also the Fireblade's points are slightly off. It should be 62 points.

We're still off by 5 points though.

Good catch!

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 15 2017 09:00

Hey! I played him in that tournament and I actually played as Tau. We played the last game together. It was the third place table. If I had managed to beat him I probably would have nabbed 3rd place :).

He was an excellent player and a very tough army to beat. To be honest it all came down to first turn and those commander alpha strikes. If I had first turn I think it would have come down very differently.

I played as a very different tau list, and actually saw really good success. Aside from this last game against I won three other game. The only other army I had issues with was a zombie heavy list. And even then a single dice role would have changed things.

Btw the fireblade went with the drones in the transport. Pretty strong support unit. He used marker lights to great effect.

Here's my list.
Spoiler!
++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [89 PL, 1650pts] ++

+ HQ [24 PL, 517pts] +

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster [84pts]

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 142pts]: Advanced targeting system [8pts], High-output burst cannon [20pts], Missile pod [24pts]

Longstrike [11 PL, 215pts]: 2x Smart missile system [40pts], Railgun [38pts]

+ Troops [14 PL, 202pts] +

Breacher Team [6 PL, 91pts]: MV36 Guardian Drone [8pts]
. 9x Fire Warrior [72pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui [11pts]: Markerlight [3pts], Pulse pistol

Kroot Carnivores [3 PL, 60pts]: 10x Kroot [60pts]

Strike Team [5 PL, 51pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui [11pts]: Markerlight [3pts], Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle [40pts]

+ Elites [2 PL, 32pts] +

DX-4 Technical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]: 2x DX-4 Technical Drone [2 PL, 32pts]

+ Fast Attack [14 PL, 216pts] +

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 86pts]: MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone [8pts]
. 2x Pathfinder [16pts]: 2x Markerlight [6pts]
. Pathfinder Shas'ui [8pts]: Markerlight [3pts], Pulse pistol
. 2x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle [54pts]: 2x Rail rifle [44pts]

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 40pts]: 5x MV1 Gun Drone [40pts]

Vespid Stingwings [6 PL, 90pts]: 5x Vespid Stingwing [75pts], Vespid Strain Leader [15pts]

+ Heavy Support [19 PL, 365pts] +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 195pts]: 2x Smart missile system [40pts], Railgun [38pts]

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [9 PL, 170pts]
. Broadside Shas'vre [9 PL, 170pts]: 2x Plasma rifle [22pts], Drone controller [5pts], Heavy rail rifle [63pts]

+ Flyer [9 PL, 191pts] +

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 191pts]: Markerlight [3pts], 2x Missile pod [48pts], 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone [30pts], 2x Seeker missile [10pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [7 PL, 127pts] +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone [16pts], Burst cannon [10pts]

++ Total: [89 PL, 1650pts] ++

I managed to utterly destroy an Ork army. A razorwing spam army and a imperial fist primarus army.

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jul 15 2017 09:09

Oh and this was his list.

https://imgur.com/a/9fmrc

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jul 15 2017 09:22

He split the fusions between his suits?
Interesting. I wonder why.

My initial instinct would be to focus the fusion, so I can take casualties off the flamers, making the high-output guns harder to reach. yet he chose differently, and it seems to pay off, anyone wants to enlighten me why?

Colstar setup as obvious as it gets. for a good reason though, zeeping 40 and shooting at BS2 is nasty even with his less-that-godly loadout.
Fusion commanders are likewise predictable.

The sheer number of gun drones within expected paramaters.

Pathfinders (and marker drones), beyond what I'd expect honestly.
Markerlights really don't impress me, expecially when the list has no units that really benefit from the 2 and 3 results, in order to really get a benefit from markers beyond the first, he need to get to 4, and that's a heavy investment.

Ion rifles. why not on the 'ui?
It seems to me focusing the Ld and the gun on one dude will prevent you from having to choose who to lose when the time comes, or did he actually take down his ions as casualties first?

Overall this list is -mostly- fitting with my (our?) predictions, but there are a few curveballs.

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jul 15 2017 09:29

Believe me he used his marker lights to great effect.

More often than not he had five marker lights when he needed it and on almost every single one of my units he had at least one. So he was rerolling misses all over the place and only really failing shots on twos.

I can't speak to me why he split his fusion. But in our game the flamers on the suits we're just as devastating as the fusion. So by splitting it up he can lose a model and still have both types of firepower availilble.
Last edited by Megildur on Jul 16 2017 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#18 » Jul 15 2017 10:45

Hey, Megildur, thanks for posting! It's nice when one or both parties of a highlighted game stop by to give their direct input.

Where there a lot of charges going on? Your two lists are very different, but both aggressive. Did he use them both on the shooting before the charge and in defense?

How did the Vespid perform for you? I've got a squad I've been intending on trying out, and am really interested to hear how they did, and especially in a tournament setting.

Are Kroot worth more than as anything but bubblewrap? If so, what kind of situations where they in?

How did the Sunshark perform? It was very lackluster in last edition.

Thanks again for the info. And well done representing Tau!
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Return to “General Discussion”