Image Hosting Options

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Tael
Fio'O

Image Hosting Options

Post#1 » Jul 17 2017 03:54

Hi All,

As you may or may not have heard, for various brand-speak reasons, Photobucket have essentially held to ransom a large portion of the internets photos. It was a very unimpressive act on their part.

Without bemoaning the point further, here are some solutions for our Membership so affected. If anyone in our community has a great solution, please post below - let's all help your fellow members get their collections online again
:)

NOTE: Recently I was informed our Forum appears to not allow Google+ Image hotlinking, I am looking into this.

Pinterest.com

Advice: Start an account, upload images and copy paste the URL into your topic. Our site software will resize if necessary. Thank you Sean!

FreeImageHosting.Net

FreeImageHosting.Net stores JPEG, PNG, GIF and BMP images up to 3 MB for free and for personal use in your emails, forum posts, auctions, and more. Does not work well for large .GIFs.

Best for: Uploading photos you want to share as links on non-commercial sites.
Max image size/storage: 3000kb is the maximum file size.

PostImage.com

PostImage is a very simple site that gives you free image hosting for life with or with creating an account first. When you upload, you can choose to have your photo resized for you using the selections from the given dropdown menu and even choose to have the photo expire so that it's deleted after one day, seven days, 31 days or never.

This site is primarily used for hosting images for forums and comes with a simple image upload mod forum users can install and use. You can upload multiple images at a time and choose to resize them for avatar use, message boards, web, email or computer monitors.

Best for: Uploading individual photos to be shared on forum message boards.

Max image size/storage: No specified file size or storage restrictions.

ImageVenue

ImageVenue holds your JPEG images up to 3 MB in size, and it can resize big pictures to reasonable dimensions at upload time, too. Image quality and aspect ratio are preserved when resizing.

Best for: Bloggers, message board users and eBay sellers using it to uploading and organizing large quantities of photos to share them with others through single photos or entire albums.

Please post any suggestions below!
:)

Max image size/storage: 3 GB per month.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Re: Image Hosting Options

Post#2 » Jul 17 2017 03:57

imgur.com?

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 17 2017 04:01

Glarblar wrote:imgur.com?

QFT

Probably the easiest and most seamless transition. S'okay, at least Photobucket won't get my ad revenue!
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Tael
Fio'O

Post#4 » Jul 17 2017 04:15

I must have misread a couple of reviews, imgur seemed a little inflexible. But two recommendations! I'll it to the list :)

Thanks guys.

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 17 2017 07:29

Just to weigh in my thoughts here?

I'm using Pinterest. Simply open the image in its full on your browser and copy and paste the URL into our standard coding

Sean

Tael
Fio'O

Post#6 » Jul 17 2017 07:36

Great tip, thanks Sean! Shall add that too.

To put this into context, I have hosted my images & website for 20yrs, so seeking alternates is quite new to me actually. This is all great help for the community :)

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jul 17 2017 07:37

It's a bit situational, but one trick I've found is blogger. If you open an image posted on blogger in a separate tab, copy the URL for it and paste it into an Img tag on the forum, it will post the image. That's how I've been handling all my images on here.

The only drawback is you need to have a blog set up for it.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Shas'Bro
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 17 2017 09:25

Kakapo42 wrote:It's a bit situational, but one trick I've found is blogger. If you open an image posted on blogger in a separate tab, copy the URL for it and paste it into an Img tag on the forum, it will post the image. That's how I've been handling all my images on here.

The only drawback is you need to have a blog set up for it.

See I've been meaning to ask...is your avatar a humorous statement in response to Photobucket or pure forgetfulness? :P I want to assume the former.
*As your Rules Laywer, I advise you against that action

Peregrim
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 17 2017 09:59

Don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do... we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images...

https://imgur.com/tos

Imgur isn't a good choice for image hosting.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#10 » Jul 17 2017 10:48

Indeed, that's scratched from the list forthwith. Thanks Peregrim.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jul 17 2017 11:12

Meh, never had problems with imgur. I use it for all my image hosting needs.

Also I don't recommend pinterest. It's as user unfriendly as photobucket. Not for the one who uploads but for the random person who is potentially reading the thread and wanting to look at the image.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Jul 18 2017 12:53

Panzer wrote:Meh, never had problems with imgur. I use it for all my image hosting needs.

Also I don't recommend pinterest. It's as user unfriendly as photobucket. Not for the one who uploads but for the random person who is potentially reading the thread and wanting to look at the image.

I agree, Imgur is good for individual use. Websites like ATT shouldn't use it officially though I think.

And yeah, pinterest is really viewer-unfriendly.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 18 2017 05:04

As I use a blog with Wordpress I have a 5gb? free image hosting drop. And I can link the images to my forum posts with (as far as I have seen) fixed links. Unlike Facebook that likes to move around your photo's and thus killing your direct links...

relasine
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 18 2017 08:50

No mention of Flickr? It's pretty easy to use, but also fairly robust. There are some large communities there, particularly the AFOL community.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#15 » Jul 20 2017 04:20

Great, thanks for the input and user experiences guys! :)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 20 2017 06:40

Imgur scares me

I just wanted to post my paint blog here and my test images of Fists made front pg over 60 thousand views.

60 thousand people looking at mold lines I over looked. :eek:

Still nice interface and an app. Easy to post.

Also why don't we have a gallery ?
Last edited by Knives on Jul 20 2017 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Jul 20 2017 07:40

Knives wrote:

Imgur scares me

I just wanted to post my paint blog here and my test images of Fists made front pg over 60 thousand views.

60 thousand people looking at mold lines I over looked. :eek:

Still nice interface and an app. Easy to post.

Also why don't we have a gallery ?

You can post images privately on Imgur too!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#18 » Jul 20 2017 08:59

Thats a good point Knives, I'll be checking out ATT hosted albums shortly.

Return to “General Discussion”