Old Formation = New Strategems?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Old Formation = New Strategems?

Post#19 » Aug 02 2017 09:17

AnonAmbientLight wrote:Stratagems like this will probably kill spam armies too.

Why do you think so? The more MSU you spam, the more CP you get and the more Strategems you can use.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Aug 02 2017 09:24

Arka0415 wrote:

Why do you think so? The more MSU you spam, the more CP you get and the more Strategems you can use.

I took it to mean that we will see other units rival taking solely Commanders and Gun drones

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Aug 02 2017 09:46

Agreed, Glarblar. With stratagems the math will change, since you have to factor in available CP compared to the bonus effectiveness you get. Plus, having an army with multiple available special stratagems will change the tactical field.

Since we don't have any at the moment, we may also want to consider how we should respond to the stratagems the Space Marines have. How feasible is it to take out the center tank in a Linebreaker? Have Land Speeders jumped in target priority if there is a Whirlwind present for Datalink Telemetry? Is it worth baiting a target to use Auspex Scan against Crisis Suits with a damage soaking loadout to burn up CP?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Aug 02 2017 09:56

Glarblar wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

I took it to mean that we will see other units rival taking solely Commanders and Gun drones

Man, as the Index is now, the new Stratagems would need to be phenomenal to knock Commanders from their lofty perch.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Aug 02 2017 10:42

Arka0415 wrote:Man, as the Index is now, the new Stratagems would need to be phenomenal to knock Commanders from their lofty perch.

Not necessarily, by all accounts the marine codex came with a number of points adjustments, so we can expect that to play a factor as well. Watch for an increase in commander cost, and a decrease in crisis suits & riptides.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Aug 02 2017 10:47

deathboon wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Man, as the Index is now, the new Stratagems would need to be phenomenal to knock Commanders from their lofty perch.

Not necessarily, by all accounts the marine codex came with a number of points adjustments, so we can expect that to play a factor as well. Watch for an increase in commander cost, and a decrease in crisis suits & riptides.

That's why I said "as the Index is now," if those points changes come in as expected I'll be a very happy Tau indeed :D

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Aug 02 2017 07:10

Some stratagems require you to have X amount of Y units to utilize a special action.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

russ29
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Aug 02 2017 09:07

deathboon wrote:

I have a feeling others might drop but commander points stay the same ala Guilliman. He is a must take given his points and yet he stays the same while other units drop in points. This is what I think will happen to the stuff that are overcosted our index. Some might even have a slight tweak in abilities as well but nothing too major.
Through unity, devastation

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Aug 02 2017 10:53

Guilliman isn't really a must take though. He is good but a lot of his potential is wasted if you let him hang around your shooty units and a lot of his auras potential is wasted when you let him advance with the rest of your army. Often it's better to just take two other HQs to replicate his aura instead. ;)

Belmail
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Aug 03 2017 12:10

Panzer wrote:Honestly for 1CP I'd consider taking a Skyray in my list. Hitting about 4 Seeker Missiles per turn on a target is not bad at all at that range and well worth 1CP.

Can you actually fire more than one seeker missile per turn? I was under the impression that you could only fire 1 per turn.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Aug 03 2017 12:48

Belmail wrote:
Panzer wrote:Honestly for 1CP I'd consider taking a Skyray in my list. Hitting about 4 Seeker Missiles per turn on a target is not bad at all at that range and well worth 1CP.

Can you actually fire more than one seeker missile per turn? I was under the impression that you could only fire 1 per turn.

Why shouldn't you be able to?
You can fire all your weapons each shooting phase unless the weapon says otherwise (like Markerlights and Pistols for example).

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Aug 03 2017 11:05

Hey all.
Just wanted to remind everyone to try and refrain from wishlisting while discussing the question posted by the OP.
Carry on :D
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#31 » Aug 14 2017 11:29

Agreed.

For now, we should focus on what we can do to mitigate the new Strategems that exist, not speculate on what we'll get. At the very least, Death Guard have to come out before another codex, so we are at least probably two months out (probably more).

Cheers!

Return to “General Discussion”