So about those Riptide Wings...

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
deathboon
Shas'Saal

Re: So about those Riptide Wings...

Post#19 » Aug 06 2017 03:35

Not all prototypes make it to production, clearly the xv22 was replaced by the Ghostkeel.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#20 » Aug 06 2017 05:01

Eh, there were still enough prototype XV-22s in the Warzone: Damocles books that "Shadowsun" was able to appear across multiple battlefields simultaneously. That suggests to me they're still in production.

I could see a Coldstar-suit Farsight and a Ghostkeel-suit Shadowsun (maybe), but I think its fairly unlikely given the paucity of SPECIAL characters able to choose different suits/gear/vehicles. If we see the option at all, I suspect it will be for a Generic Commander.

Also keep in mind that we T'au aren't Space Marines. Its simply unreasonable to believe we'll get the same sort of toys.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Aug 06 2017 10:53

deathboon wrote:Not all prototypes make it to production, clearly the xv22 was replaced by the Ghostkeel.

The Ghostkeel didn't replace anything just as the Stormsurge didn't replace Broadsides and the Riptide didn't replace Crisis. They are an addition, nothing more.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Aug 08 2017 03:54

deathboon wrote:Not all prototypes make it to production, clearly the xv22 was replaced by the Ghostkeel.

Isn't the fluff for the XV22 that is WAS a prototype for a new stealth suit, but it was too hard/expensive to produce and they needed a new solution ASAP after the XV15's got reverse engineered, so the XV25's got rolled out instead.

Now it is just a rare, hard and expensive to produce suit that a few commanders get to use?

Return to “General Discussion”