So about those Riptide Wings...

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

So about those Riptide Wings...

Post#1 » Aug 04 2017 11:35

"Most excitingly, you’ll be able to field an entire army of nothing but Dreadknights by using Spearhead Detachments – by our calculations, you can fit about 8 into 2000 points comfortably."

From the First Look at Codex: Grey Knights. https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

I thought we were steering away from spammy monster mash meta, hence why they punished T'au with overpriced XV104s. But nope, apparently if you're one of GW's favored customers you get Dreadknights for cheaper, and your warlord gets one too.

I mean on one hand this is depressing. On the other:

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Re: So about those Riptide Wings...

Post#2 » Aug 04 2017 12:22

As they've said (paraphrasing):

"We've made this edition so you can play however you want to <But, that doesn't mean its the most optimal or you won't be punished for it>"

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 04 2017 12:32

Just because they can do that it doesn't mean it's good.
We also CAN play with like 5 Riptides or such in a 2k game but it's obviously not good.

If you think an army of 8 Dreadknights will have a good time against AM with 60 conscripts and tons of artillery then think again. :D

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 04 2017 12:39

Good point, how many railguns can I get in 2000 points haha

Folklore
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 04 2017 01:24

My biggest question is how do you get any CP in a list like that and will that ultimately be the balancing factor. You can fit a 3 stormsurge super-heavy detachment and a battalion detachment in a 2k list. Would only getting 6 cp be a major factor in the viability of that list? We wont know until the codex but if CP is as important as it seems to be, there is a big argument to be made for MSU lists over elite or monster mash lists.

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 04 2017 02:58

Folklore wrote:My biggest question is how do you get any CP in a list like that and will that ultimately be the balancing factor. You can fit a 3 stormsurge super-heavy detachment and a battalion detachment in a 2k list. Would only getting 6 cp be a major factor in the viability of that list? We wont know until the codex but if CP is as important as it seems to be, there is a big argument to be made for MSU lists over elite or monster mash lists.

+3 for being battle forged remember, 9 CP's sounds fine to me.

Folklore
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 04 2017 03:22

thesnailmaster wrote:
Folklore wrote:My biggest question is how do you get any CP in a list like that and will that ultimately be the balancing factor. You can fit a 3 stormsurge super-heavy detachment and a battalion detachment in a 2k list. Would only getting 6 cp be a major factor in the viability of that list? We wont know until the codex but if CP is as important as it seems to be, there is a big argument to be made for MSU lists over elite or monster mash lists.

+3 for being battle forged remember, 9 CP's sounds fine to me.

Right you are! :-(

oakreef
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Aug 04 2017 03:24

On the bright side perhaps if they're allowing Grand Masters to take Dreadnight's they'll allow Commanders to take Riptides, Broadsides or Ghostkeels? They wouldn't have to release a new model to allow it - there was originally no difference in model for a Commander and a normal Crisis suit after all.

Folklore
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 04 2017 05:18

I would sell my kidney for a riptide and a broadsides commander!

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Aug 04 2017 06:01

Man I don't know what I'd give for the following:
Farsight in Riptide or Coldstar
Shadowsun in Ghostkeel

Two of these have been in books, Farsight pilots a prototype coldstar in the latest novel, and Shadowsun the Ghostkeel in the two campaign books from 7th.

leo1925
Shas

Post#11 » Aug 04 2017 06:31

Shas'o Dre wrote:Man I don't know what I'd give for the following:
Shadowsun in Ghostkeel

Two of these have been in books, Farsight pilots a prototype coldstar in the latest novel, and Shadowsun the Ghostkeel in the two campaign books from 7th.

For starters, i would be glad if Firesight gets beck his one missing hardpoint.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 04 2017 06:46

Folklore wrote:I would sell my kidney for a riptide and a broadsides commander!

O'Vesa and Ob'Lotai 9-0; for that matter, Shadowsun piloted a Ghostkeel in the fluff, so there's precedent. But I don't think we're likely to see it happen.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Aug 04 2017 06:55

leo1925 wrote:For starters, i would be glad if Firesight gets beck his one missing hardpoint.

Technically he's missing 2 hard points; since he holds dawnblade in the suits hand actuator, it wouldn't technically use one.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Aug 05 2017 02:13

Shas'o Dre wrote:Man I don't know what I'd give for the following:
Shadowsun in Ghostkeel

As cool as that would be, I think that's rather unlikely (especially Farsight in Riptide).
Special characters in the Marine Codices didn't get any new options either. You can't just put Mephiston on a bike for example. ^^

I just hope GW gives us the option to customize the generic Commander even more. I'd love having a Stealth Suit Commander that is not Shadowsun. ^^

leo1925
Shas

Post#15 » Aug 05 2017 06:56

deathboon wrote:
leo1925 wrote:For starters, i would be glad if Firesight gets beck his one missing hardpoint.

Technically he's missing 2 hard points; since he holds dawnblade in the suits hand actuator, it wouldn't technically use one.

As you said, i counted the sword as one. And while we are on the subject, he can even take drones.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Aug 05 2017 08:47

Yeah Panzer, I know it wouldn't happen, but in previous editions Marneus Calgar had the choice of what armor he wore into battle, either terminator or I think artificer. So you never know.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#17 » Aug 06 2017 02:11

Panzer wrote:I just hope GW gives us the option to customize the generic Commander even more. I'd love having a Stealth Suit Commander that is not Shadowsun. ^^

Being that it's 100 years later, maybe GW remembered to take all of the Tau prototype equipment, like the xv22, into the production phase.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Aug 06 2017 02:19

SinisterSamurai wrote:
Panzer wrote:I just hope GW gives us the option to customize the generic Commander even more. I'd love having a Stealth Suit Commander that is not Shadowsun. ^^

Being that it's 100 years later, maybe GW remembered to take all of the Tau prototype equipment, like the xv22, into the production phase.

Unlikely since that would mean they'd be releasing new Stealth Suit models as well.

Return to “General Discussion”