Use crisis model as commander units

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
thezanji
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Use crisis model as commander units

Post#37 » Aug 10 2017 12:41

I'm pretty sure that the commander description sais he is inside an XV8 battlesuit, and sometimes uses an enforcer armor, so, XV8 (crisis suits) look exactly equal to commanders.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Aug 10 2017 12:53

thezanji wrote:I'm pretty sure that the commander description sais he is inside an XV8 battlesuit, and sometimes uses an enforcer armor, so, XV8 (crisis suits) look exactly equal to commanders.

It doesn't since 6th edition Codex (or 7th, don't quite remember due them being so similar). It just says Battlesuit since those.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#39 » Aug 10 2017 06:45

Common guys... few posts earlier :
3rd / 4th : xv8 for everyone
6th : commanders in xv8 and many use xv85
7th : xv85 is limited production almost exclusively for commanders

Highly visible trend and most probably in 8th will be directly written that only xv85 are in use for commanders

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Aug 10 2017 07:09

This is honestly going nowhere and will always change depending on your gaming group, as others have said using the get started suits will normally be fine with the majority of opponent, I'd just suggest putting them on a 60mm base and trying to add a few embellishments to differentiate them from any other suit.

Part of this hobby is painting and converting and that also applies to playing the game, there are plenty other war games out there that pretty much don't use any form of modelling at all (ffg's star wars games, Warmachine has some pretty strict conversion rules for tournaments ect).

The problem arises if you don't want to make any changes at all, that may be fine if your are testing a list out as a proxy but not as a long term solution, as Panzer said that is the same as buying 10 tactical marines and making them all captains.

There is no real precedent from GW on which models to use, what base size things should be and if modelling for advantage is really a bad thing (it is), they are currently showing more support for competitive gaming but I can't ever see them removing the hobby aspect from the army.

Also we are all Tau players, we can see the differences in suits and might not want to use one XV8-XX as another, but I guarantee that most other players probably think they all look the same anyway, we are the silly blue cow race on the eastern fringe that the internet loves to hate and that probably won't change.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#41 » Aug 10 2017 08:03

So I can absolutely say unequivocally that if you put enough effort into converting and painting you can use any GW model as any similar GW model and no one will give you a hard time as long as the wargear is sufficiently WYSIWYG. I have used tactical marines and assault marines as both sternguard, vanguard, and honor guard; I have used an assault terminator as a chaplain with only a head swap; and built a terminator librarian with bits from a chaos lord, a greyknight termie and a deathwing termie. As long as the model looks good enough, usually no one cares.
People only care when they can't look at the model and know right away where it fits in your army.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#42 » Aug 10 2017 08:03

Wedrujacy wrote:6th : commanders in xv8 and many use xv85
7th : xv85 is limited production almost exclusively for commanders

This does not indicate any kind of upward trend between 6th and 7th.

The 7th entry means that there are not a lot of Enforcer Suits in production, and the few that are made only go to Commanders. It means that a Shas'vre will not be seen in an Enforcer Suit. That's it. Does not at all indicate any kind of increased usage of the variant.

There is no trend, since we are only looking at two steps. Before there were no Enforcer Suits, then there were, and some Commanders used them. Nobody else did, because there weren't enough to go around.

Tau Empire Codex - 7th Edition
p. 76, second paragraph

"Many Commanders pilot the latest iteration of the Crisis battlesuit, the XV8-05 Crisis 'Enforcer', which can bear a number of weapons, support systems, and signature systems"

Emphasis mine. Many, not all.

thezanji
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#43 » Aug 11 2017 11:30

Panzer wrote:
thezanji wrote:I'm pretty sure that the commander description sais he is inside an XV8 battlesuit, and sometimes uses an enforcer armor, so, XV8 (crisis suits) look exactly equal to commanders.

It doesn't since 6th edition Codex (or 7th, don't quite remember due them being so similar). It just says Battlesuit since those.

in seventh edition codex, it clearly states, "a commander may instead replace its crisis battlesuit with an XV86 coldstar battlesuit"

while in the index both armors are different profiles... to have this clear we will need to wait for the new codex.

Tauguy29765
Shas

Post#44 » Aug 11 2017 02:41

I do like the idea of this, but I don't want to commit to permanently converting a Crisis suit to a Commander- versatility reasons. Any ideas?
Tau'va!

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#45 » Aug 11 2017 02:45

Magnetize heads, make a base adapter (just a round border to enlarge it from 49mm to 64mm), possibly magnetize some other bits like antenas or hands...

Tauguy29765
Shas

Post#46 » Aug 11 2017 02:50

Great advice- thanks! I have to say I only just realized how huge magnetizing is in this hobby as a whole.
Tau'va!

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#47 » Aug 14 2017 12:18

To add my 2 cents...

I agree broadly with the points made that there is no reason you can't use an XV8 as a Commander. When the Tau were first released, commanders were literally just the old XV8 model with a different paint scheme, usually a different colored head. I still have models that follow that scheme and use them regularly.

The one time I'd be dubious is if you took a Coldstar. Then I'd argue that there *is* a specific model for it that you should get.

I say go with using what you have. As for doing some fancy modeling, just use that cool looking XV8 for a Shas'vre if you ever get the new Commander model. Or just keep using it as a commander.

Cheers!

thezanji
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Sep 19 2017 09:05

hello, I know this is an old thread, however I wanted to add, that you can look at the art of farsight's "the eight" wich consists of many commanders, only one of them uses an enforcer battlesuit, while the others use regular crisis suits with no conversion or special painting to denot their rank.

Return to “General Discussion”