Chapter Approved snippets - Matched Play changes!

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Chapter Approved snippets - Matched Play changes!

Post#1 » Aug 09 2017 02:45

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... provedAug9

GW realeased some tidbits on the upcoming Chapter Approved book.
The main ones are (all for Matched Play):
1. Flyers can never score objectives (poor Remoras, won't ever be used again)
2. Troops get Objective Secured (yeah, even horde ones) (this confirms my suspicions that every army would get 'Defenders of Humanity'-like rule)
3. Initiative will be ITC-style (players roll after deployment and the guy that finished his deploy first gests a +1 to the roll)

If you rely too much in aircraft and less units deployed, you better hurry and play as many games as you want, because by Christmas things will get quite the shake-up!
Last edited by Vector Strike on Aug 09 2017 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Chapter Approved snippets - Matched Play changes!

Post#2 » Aug 09 2017 02:47

Yeah saw that. Really hate the ObSec for everyone change.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 09 2017 02:51

Panzer wrote:Yeah saw that. Really hate the ObSec for everyone change.

Why? This was coming one way or another. It levels the playing field with SM, CSM and GK - which already got that rule.
Maybe horde armies could have been left without it, but if this really becomes an issue, they'll change it later.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 09 2017 02:58

Exactly because of hordes. ObSec sounded like a good way to balance elite and horde armies.
Playing against 120 ObSec Conscripts who are basically fearless is the opposite of fun.

Anyway, there's still hope I guess.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 09 2017 03:03

Panzer wrote:Exactly because of hordes. ObSec sounded like a good way to balance elite and horde armies.
Playing against 120 ObSec Conscripts who are basically fearless is the opposite of fun.

I agree with you. I would like to see this even happening on a unit-by-unit basis - i.e. Kroot don't have it, but Strike/Breacher Teams do.
For AM: Platoons have, Conscripts don't
Tyranids: Warriors have, Horma/Terma don't
Orks: This is a 'ard one! Dunno which one could have it

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 09 2017 08:57

I don't even bother discussing rules anymore because they get FAQ'd or changed in weeks rather than years. A welcome pace.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#7 » Aug 09 2017 09:32

This makes Breacher teams on Devilfish even better, overall I'm happy with the changes.
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Aug 09 2017 10:35

Absolutely loving these changes!!! Now I can finally have the 25+ drop nightmare I've always wanted :D

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 10 2017 12:56

But why you assume that Kroot will not have one secured?

Or by <faction> units we need to think only on those units which have undefined faction like <Sept> and ie kroots are fixed and player can't choose anything else?

If so then kroot army is again a dream :/

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 10 2017 01:15

Wedrujacy wrote:But why you assume that Kroot will not have one secured?

Or by <faction> units we need to think only on those units which have undefined faction like <Sept> and ie kroots are fixed and player can't choose anything else?

If so then kroot army is again a dream :/

Nobody is assuming anything like that.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 10 2017 04:47

@panzer
Vector Strike wrote:
Panzer wrote:Exactly because of hordes. ObSec sounded like a good way to balance elite and horde armies.

I agree with you. I would like to see this even happening on a unit-by-unit basis - i.e. Kroot don't have it, but Strike/Breacher Teams do.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 10 2017 04:50

Wedrujacy wrote:@panzer
Vector Strike wrote:

Seems there's a misunderstanding. He was talking about how it hypotheticaly could have been done instead of just giving all troops ObSec.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Aug 10 2017 05:09

Yes, and there was my post with question why it could be that way for kroots.

And secondly that if that will the case then we can forget about pure (almost pure) kroot armies.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Aug 10 2017 05:12

Wedrujacy wrote:Yes, and there was my post with question why it could be that way for kroots.

And secondly that if that will the case then we can forget about pure (almost pure) kroot armies.

Nah the way you worded your post was that someone here assumes it will be like that. Which nobody does. Just that someone would like it to be happen like that. Big difference.

Also we can already forget about Kroot armies. You won't win any half-serious game with just Kroot units anyway.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Aug 10 2017 06:06

I was conjecturing about a proper application of the Obj Sec rule to the more 'elite' parts of the Troops section of every book, to disallow 20-man stuff getting it.

The rules, as they will be presented to us by Chapter Approved, doesn't do that - any Troops unit will get it, including Kroot.

Don't fret over that, my fellow Shas'O! ;)

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 11 2017 04:23

Given how quickly GW are nerfing OP units , I think a tau commander nerf is happening sooner rather then later. Whilst I don't subscribe to the anti frontline gaming paranoia about tau, there is no doubt that they have a lot of influence at GW( the new changes are basically ITC changes) and on the pod cast Reece mentioned that tau commander spam was pretty obnoxious when it was played in the BAO. I hope this occures in the tau codex and not either a FAQ or the chapter approved book as without the commander tau are pretty mediocre without a major rebalancing and change to markerlights .

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Aug 11 2017 04:55

Supershrew wrote:Whilst I don't subscribe to the anti frontline gaming paranoia about tau

By this I am assuming you mean people think that Frontline gaming hate the Tau?

I didn't know that this was a widespread thing, but I have got the distinct impression from their podcasts that they are not huge fans of the army and seem to take pleasure in anything negative that befalls them and have a bit of a bias.

For example, I seem to remember Reece (I think) going on about how the Stealth suits were "a really powerful unit cause of that -1 to hit" and talking about how it was "Really nasty". Then in a battle rep' they put up this week between Tau and SM (which has now been removed for some reason), he was SUPER gleeful that his Raven Guard successors got that across the board and referred to it as "A little bit tricky, but especially hard on Tau... Sorry".

Basically, they don't seem overly objective, if an army that is not SM has a special rule, they seem to overestimate its value, but underestimate it if it is on the side of SM.

Glad that the chapter approved is coming out because at the moment, it does seem like having a Codex is going to be a huge advantage. I mean, to use that game I mentioned as an example, Raven Guard have the -1 to hit at 12+ inches rule, the widespread deepstrike strategem and a LOT of re-rolling 1's thanks to captains. Add to that their toughness, save and BS and they are essentially just a Tau force rules wise with way better base stats.

It's mildly irritating and it feels like features of the army are being chopped up and a better version given to other armies whilst the Tau are suffering from an over-nerf brought on by salty feelings due to last editions riptide wing.

On a side-note, I don't suppose anyone knows why frontline took down that Tau/SM game? I was half way trough listening on my commute when they did? Did they mess up with rules? Did they expose how weak the Tau army was? Did they have to take it down cause the guest was a minor?

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Aug 11 2017 06:37

The thing I liked the most in this edition is that we players can send feedback and suggestions on our armies. This means FLG, even if it indeed has any kind of influence over the design team, won't have their own vision of the game perpetually imprinted until a new edition arrives. The community will respond to such bizarre (and hypocritical) ideas from FLG with such negativity that GW will re-do Tau stuff (and other armies) in a matter of months.

If all 8th did was the Living FAQ, it would already have been the best 40k edition.

Return to “General Discussion”