State of T'au

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

State of T'au

Post#1 » Aug 14 2017 03:53

Hello friendo's!

It's been a while since I've been on this forum, and frankly, when I made my last post, I decided to do the unthinkable and become a loyalist scum!
Now, however, I have decided to go T'au once more, but I've been wondering. I could be able to buy the Starter Set + Index, which would set me up really well to begin with once more, however I do not know how the race functions, now that 8th edition is here.

My question to you all is:
What is the state of the T'au in 8th edition, and how should I build accordingly?

I thank you for reading this!

- Nagito Komaeda
Remember, it's all for the sake of Ultimate Hope!

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: State of T'au

Post#2 » Aug 14 2017 04:00

Current state?
Well it's difficult. Big suits are hardly viable in competetive games anymore (Broadsides, Ghostkeel, Riptide). Crisis are situational...good with Flamers or CIBs and to bring a lot of Drones to the enemy without having them hover over half of the board first.
Pathfinder are good again, Markerlights are needed but less potent than they used to be.
Commander are gold and you can take multiple of them without a problem.
Gun Drones are gold as well.
Stealth Suits are actually good-ish this time.

T'au can be good on tournaments but overall get outclassed by things like AM Conscript spam or C:SM/C:CSM with specific things like double shooting Noise Marines/Havocs/Terminators, Berzerkers who just kill everything they touch even with just a few models and overall effects like -1 to-hit modifier if they are more than 12" away (Raven Guard and Alpha Legion).

C:SM and C:CSM got lots of love and point reductions with their Codex so there's still hope for us though.

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 14 2017 05:49

I agree with panzer I made a tier list that may help you decide on what to get.

Not sure if you use forge world minis but the xv9 are also a good unit so it may be a good idea to read the forge world stuff.

Big change for the tau is we now excel at 18" combat to many things out range us and our 4+ bs is well sad

Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 14 2017 05:56

I'm honestly not looking into the "big suit" type of game. I like the T'au Fire Warriors, Pathfinders, Crisis suits and, to an extent, the Broadside. I've always found the bigger suits to look a tad clunky.

Gamewise, I really actually hope that the overwhelming shooting phase would have been better, but it seems that with the T'au's 4+ to hit, I might be kind of wrong on that matter. Please tell me more about it.
I'm also not looking into playing very competitively, I just want a cool army with a nice and fair amount of units.

And no, I'm not using FW stuff, because I think they're a tad too pricy for my income
Remember, it's all for the sake of Ultimate Hope!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Aug 14 2017 06:29

Since you don't seem to be that focused on competitive play, I'd suggest not worrying too much about what the 'meta' is like and just get the models you like best. After all, rules change on the whim of the designers, but good looking models last forever.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 14 2017 07:28

I have been playing seriously against Ultramarines, Eldar, Nyds, Blood Angels, Space Wolves and death guard also orks for fun, this played by different players. I am running only suits and pathfinders and HQ options. I have to say I hold now a record at my local store of 7 victories and one defeat, the defeat against eldar. This ones are only the battles at the Konnor Campaign as well as having a more than positive record of 13 victories and 2 defeats in games since 8th arrived.

Between the 1500 and 2000 points range I play Im normally running with 1 to 2 commanders, 3 to 6 Crisis, 2 units of pathfinders, Fireblades or Darkstriders. up to 2 Broadsides when needed stealths with ghostkeel and yes up to 3 Hazards as well as a Y'avahra this list change in equipment and number of models. Of course add to this drone units that guard their backs before they were gun drones but the Feel No Pain in shield drones is now too damn good. I still have to face a good AM player but up to now, and just under my own experience I can say we are a Mid to Mid High Tier. If anything they are hell fun to play of course with the obvious weaknesses but to be honest other than the Psikers and those -1 to hit chapters I think the options we have now can really deal with them.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 14 2017 08:38

I have been running a lot of firewarriors, drones, and stealth suits with some crisis and a ghostkeel. All of my lists include longstrike and pathfinders. My record so far has been 10 wins and 4 losses. I lost to eldar, AM, and salamanders. I haven't used any suit larger than a ghostkeel and that seems to be the Trent among most tau players at the moment. I also include a 4x fusion commander in most lists and a coldstar for the sheer thrill of zipping around the board.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 09 2017 12:17

I will add that if playing casual most people use power levels instead of points at which point tau can play long range again.

When a unit of crisis suits "costs" the same regardless of if it has 2 burst cannon and a multi tracker or 3 missile pod for just 1 more PL than 10 space Marines you can get 18 Str 7 ap-1 D3 damage shots at 36" range.

I'd say PL makes tau very points effective would you rather a marine captain with a combi melta and jump pack or a tau Commander with 4 fusion blaster? Same cost

And normally rail guns on pathfinders are really expensive but in a PL game 5Pathfinder with markerlight costs the same as 2 markerlight 3 railrifle.

Amazingly drones start to suck in power level play as 4 drones are slightly more than a crisis suit!

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Sep 10 2017 03:33

Nymphomanius wrote:I will add that if playing casual most people use power levels instead of points at which point tau can play long range again.

You can't really say it like that. Most people on the bigger forums I know about use the point system in casual games as well and my local meta is 100% point system as well.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#10 » Sep 10 2017 04:20

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:I will add that if playing casual most people use power levels instead of points at which point tau can play long range again.

You can't really say it like that. Most people on the bigger forums I know about use the point system in casual games as well and my local meta is 100% point system as well.

Ok let me rephrase that

Everyone I know who wants a casual game is when not planning a match in advance or not preparing for a tournament uses PL to grab a quick game as it is much quicker to get a list together on the fly.

handsomemenace
Shas

Post#11 » Sep 11 2017 05:42

Sadly the current state of the T'au have me on a Hiatus. I'm going to continue painting my T'au simply for the hobbyist side of the game.

Honestly I'm bummed out. I started in 7th with T'au just because of how friggin cool they are. I loved them in 7th, and I always played fluffy armies. Never took the riptide wing that everyone hated, never spammed any one thing for wins, etc. It was a lot of fun.

Now, in 8th edition, I'm totally done with the T'au until we get our codex, which unfortunately will be one of the last ones to be released. Fluffy armies just don't work. Suits are too expensive and with the loss of JSJ and taking penalties when moving and shooting heavy weapons, they are honestly not worth taking.

Six crisis suits will run you close to 500 points which just doesn't work since a small unit of Melta guns will easily take them out. Prime example is those damned scions. 80 points of scions will easily destroy all 500 points of crisis suits.

Markerlights currently are crap. Marker drones in particular are far too taxing. In order to get that sweet 5+ marks on a unit, you have to take at least 10 marker drones and give them a drone controller somehow. Chances are you're spending 100pts for the drones, then another 100pts of tax on a commander or similar to give them a good BS.

Pathfinder markerlights are still just as effective, in fact they are even better now since they get 5+ when they move and shoot markers instead of 6+.

Or vehicles are a little better. We all know that Longstrike with Hammerheads is a great AV to bring to any table. Our flyers are pretty good now, specifically our bomber, which easily destroys marines.

Firewarriors are 1pt cheaper per model but IMO they cannot get the amount of fire they need to be effective. You have to tax them with a Fireblade but even then, Volley Fire only works if they don't move AND only at half range. So, you probably have them in a transport, you move the transport to an obj turn one, deploy them turn 2, and on turn 3 you can finally get volley fire, if they haven't beeen wiped out.

Gun drone are excellent. 4 shots per drone is amazing. Pair them with a Fireblade and that becomes 6 shots since the two carbines get an extra shot each. Pair them again with a drone controller somehow and you're laying down some amazing firepower. Again those, this is largely taxing.

Stealth suits are really annoying to deal with, and I personally like them a lot this edition.

Riptide is no good without 5+ markerlights on target.

Ghostkeel is honestly trash this edition. That's my opinion though and can be debated.

Fusion blasters are the most expensive AV weapon in the game I think.

Seems like literally every other other army gets 3+ BS pretty much all the time, and then rerolling 1s on top of that with most characters.

-----

ALL IN ALL.

We got SHAFTED. We lost so much of our staples. Losing mobility, volume of fire, and affordable support has left us out to dry. Currently, I would say we are the worst army choice ONLY IF YOU ARE PLAYING A FLUFFY ARMY. Sure, you can take 8 commanders and blast enemies away with 2+ BS, but at the end of the day, I find that intensely boring, and until our codex comes out, I have no idea what to do. I refuse to spend my money on buying a ton of commanders just so I can win once in a while. Maybe I'm just terrible at this game, but I currently have 1 win in 8th edition out of 30+ games.

For a reference - this is my usual 2k list.

1 Commander - 3x Fusion Blaster w/ Drone Controller.
-2 gun drones

3 Crisis suits - 3 Fusion Blasters
-6 gun drones

3 Crisis suits - 3 Plasma Rifles
-6 gun drones

1 Cold Star Commander
-variable support system

2 Broadsides
-2 HYMP
-2 SMS
-4 Missile Drones

10 Marker drones

Fireblade

2 Ethereals

2 Devil Fish
-2 Gun drones

10 Firewarriors
-Pulse rifles

10 Firewarriors
-Pulse rifles

6 Stealth suits
2 Fusion Blasters
4 Burst Cannon

Fill in the rest of the points with pathfinders with variable weapons depending on what I'm fighting.

Sorry for all my typos if there are any. No time to proof read.

EDIT: Came back to fix some typos and also add that I mostly play (like 90% of the time) against my friend who plays IG.
If missiles can't kill it, it will never die.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Sep 11 2017 11:26

handsomemenace wrote:Now, in 8th edition, I'm totally done with the T'au until we get our codex, which unfortunately will be one of the last ones to be released. Fluffy armies just don't work. Suits are too expensive and with the loss of JSJ and taking penalties when moving and shooting heavy weapons, they are honestly not worth taking.

We don't know whether we will be last or not. We're getting 10 Codexes till Christmas (about half of the existing factions) and one of them is even a completely new one (Death Guard).

handsomemenace wrote:Six crisis suits will run you close to 500 points which just doesn't work since a small unit of Melta guns will easily take them out. Prime example is those damned scions. 80 points of scions will easily destroy all 500 points of crisis suits.

Take Shield Drones. Nobody in their right mind will shoot Melta at a unit of Crisis surrounded by Shield Drones. Also AM is rather broken currently so it's as little helpful to compare our units with theirs as it was to compare their units with Eldar in 7th.

handsomemenace wrote:Or vehicles are a little better. We all know that Longstrike with Hammerheads is a great AV to bring to any table. Our flyers are pretty good now, specifically our bomber, which easily destroys marines.

"Great AV" well...not really. It's okay-ish. Marine Lascannon spam is FAR better. The Razorback is still crap but the Sunshark indeed is nice.

handsomemenace wrote:Firewarriors are 1pt cheaper per model but IMO they cannot get the amount of fire they need to be effective. You have to tax them with a Fireblade but even then, Volley Fire only works if they don't move AND only at half range. So, you probably have them in a transport, you move the transport to an obj turn one, deploy them turn 2, and on turn 3 you can finally get volley fire, if they haven't beeen wiped out.

Gun drone are excellent. 4 shots per drone is amazing. Pair them with a Fireblade and that becomes 6 shots since the two carbines get an extra shot each. Pair them again with a drone controller somehow and you're laying down some amazing firepower. Again those, this is largely taxing.

Firewarrior are good for their points. I don't see them becoming cheaper. Ask Skitarii how they feel about their 11p S4 AP0 Infantry with similar statline lol
Gun Drones just offer so much more utility plus more dakka for their points that it's riddiculous. More of a case of Gun Drones being slightly too cheap imo.

handsomemenace wrote:Ghostkeel is honestly trash this edition. That's my opinion though and can be debated.

I agree

handsomemenace wrote:Fusion blasters are the most expensive AV weapon in the game I think.

About as expensive as Lascannons iirc but with -1S and 1/4th of the range. However our only spammable anti-tank weapon and we can get them in range quite reliably via Manta strike while Crisis with Shield Drones aren't exactly a suicide unit unless you drop them infront of Berzerker or similar. Should be cheaper though, I agree.

handsomemenace wrote:Seems like literally every other other army gets 3+ BS pretty much all the time, and then rerolling 1s on top of that with most characters.

Yeah it's annoying. We are supposed to get to BS3+ via Markerlights (+ other benefits) but it's so hard to reach that it's basically not worth considering so we are stuck as the shooty BS4+ army.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Sep 12 2017 09:08

handsomemenace wrote:Volley Fire only works if they don't move AND only at half range.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said. I however wanted to point out that you do can move and use volley fire.

You may be confusing the commander ability.

cheers

Return to “General Discussion”