Xv9 with DBBC is anything better point for point?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas

Xv9 with DBBC is anything better point for point?

Post#1 » Aug 16 2017 05:46

So I have recently got back in to 40k after a few years off, I have 3 Xv9 hazard suits with the double barrel burst cannon.
I was doing a bit of maths and for similar points I can't see what is better than them with an ATS they are pumping out 48 str5 ap-1 shots a Turn.
I can basically guarantee atleast 1 markerlight hit a turn so should average 28 hits and vs MEQ is around 9 unsaved wounds.
Even vs a dreadnought would be 3-4 wounds a turn.

So onto what I want to know is for around 300 points is there anything better vs light/medium / heavy infantry? Or am I better off getting 3 more XV9's?

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Xv9 with DBBC is anything better point for point?

Post#2 » Aug 16 2017 06:55

I currently own 5 of this friends, 3 of them magnetized and 2 with Fusion Cascades. Ill be honest with you I only run them in three ways. The basic is as you say the DBBC with ATS this on 2 up to 3 models in one unit. I recently got amazing results with those guys and Counterfire defence systems against orks getting 10 to 20 shots on overwatch and capitalizing out of their Photon Casters reducing up to 4 inches of declared charges, using terrain against them. Other than that I really like the Fusion cascades ones. For 50 less points you get one more wound, the same amount of shots (in average), an extra support system and for a Manta strike the 6" range reduction is not that bad.

The only downside i see for XV9s now is the drones potential in comparison with the XV8s. A team of 3 can only be accompanied by 4 drones, and that is somewhat a weakness. Still, having 4 shield drones with them really works wonders.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 16 2017 06:56

For 300p you can get 37 gun drones that will dish out 148 S5 shots. Of course, they can't fire past 18", have to target the closest enemy and don't have Manta Strike, but... 148 shots!

Or a bit less in Firewarriors, able to fire 72 S5 shots at 15" and filling up your Troop slots (6x5 or 3x12)

DBBC XV9s are good now, but the competition for the S5 premium unit is hard!

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 16 2017 07:19

They are a great unit being able to take units of 1 and 4 gun drones for 32 st 5 is a nice touch also.

Dbbc with ats is a sweet choice also you can't go wrong with this unit.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 17 2017 12:43

Colt wrote:I currently own 5 of this friends, 3 of them magnetized and 2 with Fusion Cascades. Ill be honest with you I only run them in three ways. The basic is as you say the DBBC with ATS this on 2 up to 3 models in one unit. I recently got amazing results with those guys and Counterfire defence systems against orks getting 10 to 20 shots on overwatch and capitalizing out of their Photon Casters reducing up to 4 inches of declared charges, using terrain against them. Other than that I really like the Fusion cascades ones. For 50 less points you get one more wound, the same amount of shots (in average), an extra support system and for a Manta strike the 6" range reduction is not that bad.

The only downside i see for XV9s now is the drones potential in comparison with the XV8s. A team of 3 can only be accompanied by 4 drones, and that is somewhat a weakness. Still, having 4 shield drones with them really works wonders.

Do you mean the phased ion gun? Because the Fusion cascade is more points and on average 2 shots a Turn vs the 8 of the DBBC. Even the PIG is 4 on average?

I get your point about drones but I've never used them much in any list so I only own about 8 in total :-)

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 17 2017 04:56

Nymphomanius wrote:Do you mean the phased ion gun? Because the Fusion cascade is more points and on average 2 shots a Turn vs the 8 of the DBBC. Even the PIG is 4 on average?
I get your point about drones but I've never used them much in any list so I only own about 8 in total :-)

I was not making a straight comparison with the DBBC just adding a more option that can be more cost efficient than the traditional Crisis Suit. Making them also a good option of melta shots source.

Each Hazzard with 2 fusion cascade weapons and a support system of 8 points its its 139 Points. That X 2 is 278 for 8 str 8 ap -4 shots in average. For that you would need to equip 3 XV8s with 8 Fusion blasters. That represents a cost of 302 points with one less support system.

But yes as an anti-infantry i have found them as one of the best options. Maybe less cost efficient in terms of shots against Firewarriors but in my eyes way more resilient and useful on the full extension of the game.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 17 2017 06:10

Colt wrote:The only downside i see for XV9s now is the drones potential in comparison with the XV8s. A team of 3 can only be accompanied by 4 drones, and that is somewhat a weakness. Still, having 4 shield drones with them really works wonders.

Field them as singles, you can then take 4 drones per suit. It's far better than crisis teams.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 18 2017 07:20

These seem almost annoyingly mispriced compared to regular crisis.

For 19 more points, it can take what is effectively 4 guns, gets 2 extra wounds, 2 extra drones, decreases opposing charge distances, and still take a system on top of all that!

Add in that the burst guns themselves are underpriced;

Burst cannon = 10 points
Double burst cannon = 16 points (should be 20, IMO)

Unless of course the codex will be following suit with this type pricing :smile:

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 19 2017 02:51

My biggest hope for the new codex (or even a forgeworld IA) release would be for a Commander in an XV9 suit, and a couple of different weapon options for crisis, hazard and stealth suits.

Currently we can have a Commander with a SMS and 3 other options why not be able to take 4? Now that would kick ass.

Or if XV9 could take 2 double missile pods :eek:

The list of things we all wish for is probably quite extensive but if a stealth suit could take a rail rifle that not only would make sense but would kick ass.

Back on topic technically fire warriors and gun drones give more shots point for point (13 gun drones is only 3 pts more than XV9 with ATS which is 42 shots a Turn vs just 16 with ap-1) but both die much easier to small arms fire

If you fire 10 bolters at drones lone range would kill 3 on average, 6 at close range, but XV9 would suffer 1 wound close range and most likely no damage long range.

So back to the main point is that they are disgustingly cheap and effective for what they can do.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Aug 19 2017 11:13

Nymphomanius wrote:My biggest hope for the new codex (or even a forgeworld IA) release would be for a Commander in an XV9 suit...

Only if they're plastic. The QA on the Forgeworld XV9s is so bad. I really don't want to build any more.

Return to “General Discussion”