what to buy next

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
MNGamer
Shas'Saal

what to buy next

Post#1 » Aug 22 2017 03:00

so, i currently have around 2000 points and am looking to expand. I know that riptides are not super great right now and i am also not a fan of the stomsurge (aka the chicken suit). I'm looking for some fresh input as local tau players are suggesting either commander spam (not my style) or stormsurges. My collection so far consists of:
20 strikers
10 breachers
2 tactical support turrets (magnetized)
6 stealth suits (4 BC and 2 FB)
5 crisis suits (magnetized)
1 commander (magnetized)
1 coldstar
1 ghostkeel (magnetized)
1 devilfish
1 hammerhead (magnetized/pinned)
1 ethereal
1 cadre fireblade
10 pathfinders and drones (3 with rail rifles)
10 gun drones
5 marker drones
2 shield drones
Any input is appreciated, i have a modest, steady income and will be able to purchase pretty much anything given a few months.
Also, i want to start posting pictures of my painted models and would like some tips for photography.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: what to buy next

Post#2 » Aug 22 2017 03:29

Our normal troops when used properly do really well with volume of fire, same with our drones. If you don't like commanders do you feel the same about crisis suits? Flamer suits seem to be extremely popular when paired with stealths and a beacon. I like our pathfinders for a markerlight and extra special weapons platforms. Longstrike can be decent-ish but for the most part does some work. At the least he's decently durable armor that has a "big scary gun".

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 22 2017 03:40

Yojimbob wrote:Our normal troops when used properly do really well with volume of fire, same with our drones. If you don't like commanders do you feel the same about crisis suits? Flamer suits seem to be extremely popular when paired with stealths and a beacon. I like our pathfinders for a markerlight and extra special weapons platforms. Longstrike can be decent-ish but for the most part does some work. At the least he's decently durable armor that has a "big scary gun".

The only reason i dislike commanders is that after seeing people use 6-8 of them, using more than 2 seems to make the opponent quite salty/makes the game un-enjoyable. I do enjoy crisis suits, i typically field them with a flamer and 2 plasma rifles, however with the BS 4+ they don't seem like a good platform for the FB.

Belmail
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 22 2017 10:27

MNGamer wrote:The only reason i dislike commanders is that after seeing people use 6-8 of them, using more than 2 seems to make the opponent quite salty/makes the game un-enjoyable. I do enjoy crisis suits, i typically field them with a flamer and 2 plasma rifles, however with the BS 4+ they don't seem like a good platform for the FB.

I usually run 2-3 QFC just because of the reliability they bring to the table. I used to bring 2 and Longstrike but I think i've moved past hammerheads for the most part until they get some love, they just cost so much for what you get.

I run my crisis the same way, 2 plasma + 1 flamer and it did me justice at a tournament about 2 weeks before the CSM release. 4 Crisis jumping in with homing beacon and lighting things up sure is a fun and different way to play them from last editions deathrain.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 28 2017 09:02

Maybe the optimised Pathfinder team? Seems there is room for another Deviilfish and Pathfinder team, that could be usefull when doing certain scenario's

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 28 2017 09:28

MNGamer wrote:the stomsurge (aka the chicken suit).

lmao, I can totally see it.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 28 2017 07:07

Buy a shield wall. They look good for displaying your army.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 28 2017 09:17

Knives wrote:Buy a shield wall. They look good for displaying your army.

I do like how the tidewall looks, what sections are usually run?

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 28 2017 10:36

MNGamer wrote:
Knives wrote:Buy a shield wall. They look good for displaying your army.

I do like how the tidewall looks, what sections are usually run?

I sadly don't know anything about tau in 8th. My game group will not make the switch soon. Mostly because we're old and new things frighten us.

"Ir"-regardless. It looks great for terrain or displaying your army. The rules are amazing in 7th for it. It might double as cool looking static tau agis defense line for 8th.

I think I remember reading someplace that two or three gun rigs are cheaper and more effective then rail heads.

Return to “General Discussion”