new tau player need advice

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Athais
Shas'Saal

new tau player need advice

Post#1 » Aug 30 2017 07:41

Hello everyone, im here to ask some advice about two type of lists , a 50PL one and a 1k points.
at this moment is everything in the box , still need assembly everything ( trying find a free week for my hobby :D )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What i have now is :
2x pathfinder team
1x firewarrior strike team ( if i remember right )
1x cadre fireblade
1 ethereal
1x hammerhead
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im not in to tournaments or competitive play at this moment ( i don't fell ready for this )

But i want start a farsight army because i love his background ( like also shadowsun).
would like some advice because dunno what buy next or how to make a good list to start ,with this army .

I state im reading the forum and checking many topics , but some direct advice would be amazing, forgive me for my english :dead:

Klapaucius87
Shas'Saal

Re: new tau player need advice

Post#2 » Aug 30 2017 11:05

Quite new too, but with those model i see a max of 500-600 points and 23 PL.
You will need some other model to reach that score.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 30 2017 11:50

Grab a Tau: Start Collecting box and maybe some stealth suits. Maybe another Hammerhead if you like playing with big tanks.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 30 2017 12:22

I support the opinion of yojimbob a Tau Start Collecting would be great for you. The 300 points of crisis suits and its drones are great in a 1000 pts game and you also would get a good amount of drones and infantry. I would also recommend a commander but at this point if you are just starting i would go towards telling that you should buy what you like the most. The first models you buy are the ones you are going to have the most time with and enjoying the build painting and learning about them will make you spend a lot of time with them.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 30 2017 12:39

Buy what looks cool, you're going to be painting these models, might as well like the look of them. My personal favs are the ghostkeel, commanders, riptide, Stormsurge, and breachers! Love me some good Breachers!

Athais
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 31 2017 06:12

first of all thank you everyone for all your nice advices,

i want update the topic because yesterday back from work, i saw exactly what i have from tau and here it is :

infiltration cadre burning dawn set
1 x fire warriors
1 x hammerhead
1x T'au Empire Optimised Pathfinder Team
1x fireblade cadre
aaaaand thats all i have

Klapaucius87
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 31 2017 03:36

With those unit you at around 600 points.
I would say you use another hq, some more infatry and a few crisis: exactly whats inside a start collecting box :D .
'Convert' the hammerhead in a longstrike could be a good move. Same for crisis into commanders.

Athais
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Sep 06 2017 04:29

Klapaucius87 wrote:With those unit you at around 600 points.
I would say you use another hq, some more infatry and a few crisis: exactly whats inside a start collecting box :D .
'Convert' the hammerhead in a longstrike could be a good move. Same for crisis into commanders.

thank you for your and other guys advice :).
Now my question is i dunno what put on the longstrike, suppose railgun right?, and if i should buy 1/2 more hammerhead (cos longstrike buff them ) should i keep go for railgun or ion cannon? thank you again everyone :D can't wait pewpew with tau army!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 06 2017 06:22

Athais wrote:
Klapaucius87 wrote:With those unit you at around 600 points.

thank you for your and other guys advice :).
Now my question is i dunno what put on the longstrike, suppose railgun right?, and if i should buy 1/2 more hammerhead (cos longstrike buff them ) should i keep go for railgun or ion cannon? thank you again everyone :D can't wait pewpew with tau army!

Klapaucius87 is right that XV8s (or Commanders) are the right thing to get. Plus, more Fire Warriors are always good too.

If you have one Hammerhead, make it Longstrike. Longstrike should use the Railgun, two Smart Missile Systems, and two Seeker Missiles. In a 1000-point list, you should use only one Hammerhead.

Return to “General Discussion”