Stormsurge vs hammerhead

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas

Stormsurge vs hammerhead

Post#1 » Sep 13 2017 05:28

I have quite a basic army atm about 1000pts
2 commanders
12 fire warriors
10 kroot
5 Pathfinder
6 crisis suits.

I have a devilfish and another 3 crisis suits and I'm looking for some punch I have about £100 to spend so I can either get 3 hammerhead or a Stormsurge.

I get that the hammerheads are worth more points but I'm thinking the Stormsurge with counter fire defence systems and early warning overdrive looks like a good background anti deepstrike defence and long range shooting.

If you had to choose which would you go for any why?

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Stormsurge vs hammerhead

Post#2 » Sep 13 2017 06:54

I would opt for a hammerhead with Longstrike, and then another hammerhead.
The stormsurge is good, but point heavy, and I think it needs more marker support than what you have. I run mine with shield generator, ATS, and stim injector. Tough nut to crack.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 13 2017 07:06

Shas'o Dre wrote:I would opt for a hammerhead with Longstrike, and then another hammerhead.
The stormsurge is good, but point heavy, and I think it needs more marker support than what you have. I run mine with shield generator, ATS, and stim injector. Tough nut to crack.

Sorry just to clarify the guys I play only play power level games either 50/75/100 generally which is also why I don't use drones which are stupidly overpriced in power level format 6 drones costs the same as a Commander! Sod that, it also means weapons and upgrade costs are irrelevant.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 13 2017 08:02

In your list, a Stormsurge would be cool but it would need more models to guard it. The Hammerheads would be better than the Stormsurge with your army. Though, getting Longstrike, a Hammerhead, and some Stealthsuits would be good too. Stealthsuits don't need Drones to be durable. Honestly, if you can't field Drones, I'm not sure XV8s are even worth it.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 14 2017 01:03

Arka0415 wrote:In your list, a Stormsurge would be cool but it would need more models to guard it. The Hammerheads would be better than the Stormsurge with your army. Though, getting Longstrike, a Hammerhead, and some Stealthsuits would be good too. Stealthsuits don't need Drones to be durable. Honestly, if you can't field Drones, I'm not sure XV8s are even worth it.

I'll be honest I have only played 1 game since 8th came out (hoping to get one today actually) but it did seem that at 50PL atleast Marines don't have much that can threaten xv8's at range the toughness 5 is much more of a boon than I anticipated.

I do have a few shield drones I used to run with my command squad in previous editions I may have to crack them out and try them with my close range suits.

There doesn't seem to be much love for the Stormsurge, my thoughts were he would be great anti deepstrike defence and better vs hordes I may have to look at Longstrike again.

In terms of if xv8's are worth it without drones in the game I played 3 XV8 sat in cover with twin MP + ATS did some good damage vs marine squads which failed to do anything when returning fire. I think I may play all my Xv8 as back row using Commanders as close range anti heavy and look at getting some of those sexy XV9's again for anti infantry

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 14 2017 07:32

Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:In your list, a Stormsurge would be cool but it would need more models to guard it. The Hammerheads would be better than the Stormsurge with your army. Though, getting Longstrike, a Hammerhead, and some Stealthsuits would be good too. Stealthsuits don't need Drones to be durable. Honestly, if you can't field Drones, I'm not sure XV8s are even worth it.

I'll be honest I have only played 1 game since 8th came out (hoping to get one today actually) but it did seem that at 50PL atleast Marines don't have much that can threaten xv8's at range the toughness 5 is much more of a boon than I anticipated.

Honestly, that might be because your opponents don't know how to kill XV8s. With T5 and 3 wounds, they're really light vehicles. Any good Space Marine army can bring loads of Lascannons especially in PL games. Lascannons can take out XV8s really easily.

I do have a few shield drones I used to run with my command squad in previous editions I may have to crack them out and try them with my close range suits.

Nymphomanius wrote:There doesn't seem to be much love for the Stormsurge, my thoughts were he would be great anti deepstrike defence

It would be! Remember: the smaller the game, the better the Stormsurge becomes. However, if the enemy has a dedicated close combat unit with Power Fists or whatever, they can probably deal a lot of damage to it quickly. If you like smaller-sized games and you like the Stormsurge, then it really isn't a bad choice. I mean, as a model I don't like it, but no doubt it's a powerful unit!

Nymphomanius wrote:In terms of if xv8's are worth it without drones in the game I played 3 XV8 sat in cover with twin MP + ATS did some good damage vs marine squads which failed to do anything when returning fire.

Well, if you have them sitting in the back in cover you're probably okay! Missile Pod XV8s are good, but Commanders in the same role are so much better (and cheaper) :?

Return to “General Discussion”