Command Points: How do I use them???

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Command Points: How do I use them???

Post#1 » Sep 19 2017 12:32

OK guys, I know this is a little late to ask, but how in the name of the Tau'va do I use those gorram command points???
I know they can be used to reroll failed to-hits. But since I don't have a copy of the full, unabridged rulebook (I only have the free battle primer (ina error of judgement I spend my pay packet on a squad of stealthsuits rather than on a copy of the full rulebook-damm!!!)) and the battle primer (as great as it is to have a free, readily avaliable set of rules) is severely lacking in the detatchment rules and the command points rules. Any help (inlcuding a list of what exactly you can do with them) would be great!!!

Vior'la Mal'caor
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Re: Command Points: How do I use them???

Post#2 » Sep 19 2017 02:03

You can use Command Points to pay for Stratagems.
The new Codexes will have Stratagems unique* for those armies.
There are 3 (4) standard ones:

1CP - Command re-roll, re-roll any single dice (the one you claim for failed to hit)
2CP - Counter offensive, you can use this after the first charger from the enemy has fought to break the chain so you can fight before his next charger (or his first normal eligible unit)
2CP - Insane Bravery, auto pass Moral check (before you roll)

and 1 standard for Maelstrom games
2CP - New Orders, can be used after generating the Tac Objectives to discard one and generate a new one

Also some missions will give Stratagems to use

*disclaimer: some may be for the same for different factions with the army name different in the wording

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 19 2017 06:19

Also, you can only use them once per phase.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 19 2017 09:00

deathboon wrote:Also, you can only use them once per phase.

You can only use each stratagem once per phase- this is one of the most misunderstood rules in the book I think. I play so many games where I've been called out for using a Command Re-Roll twice in a turn. Not disagreeing with you Deathboon just pointing that out.

Anyway, for us Tau the Command Re-Roll is very, very useful! Any large weapons that rely on a low number of rolls, like Railguns or big guns on the Stormsurge, can really be buffed by Command Points.

Pilchard
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 19 2017 01:29

In tournament games (commander spam) i find i always have cp left (6-7cp total) as we don't really benefit from the combat one or auto pass morale. With minimum drone squads, msu style of play and how quick games can end this edition from alpha strikes.

I usually use the re-rolls on wounding/damage for quad fusion commanders or how many shots the yvrahs flamer gets. Even re-rolling shield drone saves to stop them targeting/wounding your suits can go a long way to waste your opponents fire power.

I cant wait to see what stratagems we get and hopefully it will shift the tau meta in taking different units to maximise cp and potential useage.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 28 2017 12:45

In the shooting phase, I try to restrain myself from using the reroll until I roll for fusion damage.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 28 2017 07:06

Haechi wrote:In the shooting phase, I try to restrain myself from using the reroll until I roll for fusion damage.

It's probably not necessary to make a hard-and-fast rule, but you have the right idea- fire your most powerful weapons first, and spend your Command Points on them.

If everything goes well and there's no need to use Command Points on the big guns, feel free to use them somewhere else. Anyway, use Command Points on your weapons with the biggest impact and your shooting phases will definitely improve!

Return to “General Discussion”