Vostroya and Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
User avatar
Froglift
Shas'Saal
Posts: 83

Vostroya and Tau

Post#1 » Sep 28 2017 08:55

So the new Vostroya doctrine just gave their Rapid fire and Heavy Weapons +6" range making it 30". Do you guys think this is going to be a problem for the Tau, or because it is only limited to Vostroya that it won't be too much trouble?
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

User avatar
Froglift
Shas'Saal
Posts: 83

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#2 » Sep 28 2017 08:59

Just realized it also applies to Vehicle heavy weapons making it deadly.
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

User avatar
Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 331

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#3 » Sep 28 2017 09:25

When you consider that Primaris Marines get troops with ST5 30'' (and even 36'') weapons I think we're getting into a trend.
Used to be that what made Fire Warriors special in this universe was that ST5 30'' and now we're seeing a huge increase in troop choices encroaching on this.
I don't think 30'' Lasguns are going to make it much more difficult to play Tau, or make much of a difference at all on the tabletop.
But I fear for the Hobby. Too many things are getting homogeneous and there seem to be less difference between armies.
Less distinct flavor. Less reason to pick one army over the other.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#4 » Sep 28 2017 10:15

Agent00abe wrote:When you consider that Primaris Marines get troops with ST5 30'' (and even 36'') weapons I think we're getting into a trend.
Used to be that what made Fire Warriors special in this universe was that ST5 30'' and now we're seeing a huge increase in troop choices encroaching on this.
I don't think 30'' Lasguns are going to make it much more difficult to play Tau, or make much of a difference at all on the tabletop.
But I fear for the Hobby. Too many things are getting homogeneous and there seem to be less difference between armies.
Less distinct flavor. Less reason to pick one army over the other.

Primaris Troops have S4 AP-1 weapons, not S5. And I really don't share your fear. If anything I think AM became even more different now due all the doctrines, special orders and stratagems.


On topic: Considering that T'au work best within 18“ currently and that we have plenty ways to deliver our dakka, I doubt an additional 6“ on AM weapons will be overly troublesome.
However we should pay attention to 30“ Plasma and Multi-Melta for sure.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2221

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#5 » Sep 28 2017 10:27

Panzer wrote:However we should pay attention to 30“ Plasma and Multi-Melta for sure.

Plasma will definitely be an issue, with bonus range in Vostroyan armies and having the ability to obliterate our Fireblades in Mordian armies.

User avatar
Froglift
Shas'Saal
Posts: 83

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#6 » Sep 29 2017 09:22

ALRIGHT WHAT!?!? Did you see the Armageddon troops? They essentially gave them an army wide Volley Fire with rapid fire weapons. Are we going to get some changes in our codex then because this is looking insane?
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

User avatar
Glarblar
Shas'Saal
Posts: 266

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#7 » Sep 29 2017 09:26

Froglift wrote:ALRIGHT WHAT!?!? Did you see the Armageddon troops? They essentially gave them an army wide Volley Fire with rapid fire weapons. Are we going to get some changes in our codex then because this is looking insane?


Deep breath, and re-read it

All they did was give the Nurgle RF treatment: RF works at 18" instead of half weapon range

User avatar
Yojimbob
Shas'Saal
Posts: 443

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#8 » Sep 29 2017 10:17

Yeah, that was with the use of issuing an order which AM seem to have PLENTY of to get the extra shots from FRFSRF. Could be really nasty with plasma but I don't think they can get get it efficiently in the numbers that would be truly scary.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 376
Contact:

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#9 » Sep 29 2017 02:11

Yojimbob wrote:Yeah, that was with the use of issuing an order which AM seem to have PLENTY of to get the extra shots from FRFSRF. Could be really nasty with plasma but I don't think they can get get it efficiently in the numbers that would be truly scary.

No its standard 18" double shots for RF weapons and vehicles treat AP -1 as AP 0

The armageddon unique order allows them to embark on a vehicle after shooting if they didn't disembark that turn

Which is useful for dropping a unit then picking someone else up and ferrying to where they are needed, not the best order tbh

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 376
Contact:

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#10 » Sep 29 2017 02:15

Also heavy weapons teams will be even deadlier for vostroyans 52" mortars! Or 42" heavy bolters spam (though I hope heavyweapon teams have had a price increase as waaay too cheap imho)

User avatar
Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 331

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#11 » Sep 29 2017 05:36

Panzer wrote:
Agent00abe wrote:When you consider that Primaris Marines get troops with ST5 30'' (and even 36'') weapons I think we're getting into a trend.
Used to be that what made Fire Warriors special in this universe was that ST5 30'' and now we're seeing a huge increase in troop choices encroaching on this.
I don't think 30'' Lasguns are going to make it much more difficult to play Tau, or make much of a difference at all on the tabletop.
But I fear for the Hobby. Too many things are getting homogeneous and there seem to be less difference between armies.
Less distinct flavor. Less reason to pick one army over the other.

Primaris Troops have S4 AP-1 weapons, not S5. And I really don't share your fear. If anything I think AM became even more different now due all the doctrines, special orders and stratagems.


On topic: Considering that T'au work best within 18“ currently and that we have plenty ways to deliver our dakka, I doubt an additional 6“ on AM weapons will be overly troublesome.
However we should pay attention to 30“ Plasma and Multi-Melta for sure.


My bad ST4 of course, AP-1 though.

And I disagree about AM. Yes they are more different INTERNALLY in the AM codex but the different codices against each other lose variance. THAT is my point.
Game wise it won't matter much for our battles as I said in previous post.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 376
Contact:

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#12 » Sep 30 2017 12:45

Agent00abe wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Agent00abe wrote:When you consider that Primaris Marines get troops with ST5 30'' (and even 36'') weapons I think we're getting into a trend.
Used to be that what made Fire Warriors special in this universe was that ST5 30'' and now we're seeing a huge increase in troop choices encroaching on this.
I don't think 30'' Lasguns are going to make it much more difficult to play Tau, or make much of a difference at all on the tabletop.
But I fear for the Hobby. Too many things are getting homogeneous and there seem to be less difference between armies.
Less distinct flavor. Less reason to pick one army over the other.

Primaris Troops have S4 AP-1 weapons, not S5. And I really don't share your fear. If anything I think AM became even more different now due all the doctrines, special orders and stratagems.


On topic: Considering that T'au work best within 18“ currently and that we have plenty ways to deliver our dakka, I doubt an additional 6“ on AM weapons will be overly troublesome.
However we should pay attention to 30“ Plasma and Multi-Melta for sure.


My bad ST4 of course, AP-1 though.

And I disagree about AM. Yes they are more different INTERNALLY in the AM codex but the different codices against each other lose variance. THAT is my point.
Game wise it won't matter much for our battles as I said in previous post.


But giving 2 units the same ability doesn't make them the same, yes we may see every army get a -1 to hit at >12" but think how much better that is for Tau than basically any other faction Sm needing 6's to hit the ghostkeels.

At the same time Admech and AM got some very different abilities each that we have seen gives them different ways to play.

I actually think if you had 5 games vs AM when the codex drops 1 vs catachan, mordian, valhallan, vostroyans, and armageddon you will have a different experience every time and that's not counting the regiments we haven't had any information about yet.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#13 » Sep 30 2017 02:50

Yes different internally...but different externally as well. I don't really see how any AM regiment, no matter the rules you use, would play the same or similar as any AdMech Forge World, SM Chapter or CSM Legion.

Nymphomanius wrote:Also heavy weapons teams will be even deadlier for vostroyans 52" mortars! Or 42" heavy bolters spam (though I hope heavyweapon teams have had a price increase as waaay too cheap imho)

To be honest, there's not that much of a difference between 36" or 42". Anything above 30" is pretty much a wash due the size of the standard board. ^^

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 376
Contact:

Re: Vostroya and Tau

Post#14 » Sep 30 2017 04:32

Panzer wrote:Yes different internally...but different externally as well. I don't really see how any AM regiment, no matter the rules you use, would play the same or similar as any AdMech Forge World, SM Chapter or CSM Legion.

Nymphomanius wrote:Also heavy weapons teams will be even deadlier for vostroyans 52" mortars! Or 42" heavy bolters spam (though I hope heavyweapon teams have had a price increase as waaay too cheap imho)

To be honest, there's not that much of a difference between 36" or 42". Anything above 30" is pretty much a wash due the size of the standard board. ^^


You mean those standard 48"x72" boards? With good spacing AM can now make their artillery immune to deepstrike and make you walk across the board under a hail of fire to get to them as it is unlikely you will outrange them

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests