Riptide’s shield generator

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
armisael
Shas'Saal

Riptide’s shield generator

Post#1 » Oct 02 2017 08:57

I’m a little bit curious about Riptide’s shield generator.

Why it’s weaker than the others? can I find the reason in Tau lore?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Riptide’s shield generator

Post#2 » Oct 03 2017 03:18

armisael wrote:I’m a little bit curious about Riptide’s shield generator.

Why it’s weaker than the others? can I find the reason in Tau lore?

Most likely reason: Balancing. Nothing to do with lore.

Attempt at lore explanation (not official, just educated guessing): it's linked with the nova reactor which is somewhat unstable and experimental so they couldn't direct as much power to the shieldgenerator while running it in safemode, however once you release the nova reactors full potential, it'll have much more power than regular shield generators.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 03 2017 08:00

Panzer wrote: so they couldn't direct as much power to the shieldgenerator while running it in safemode.

Damn all I can see is a Riptide pilot getting an error message on his UI now like an old windows PC

"there has been an error with your Riptide and the Riptide has been forced to shut down, would you like to start your Riptide in safe mode"

I'm in pieces :D

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 03 2017 08:32

Nymphomanius wrote:

I'm in pieces :D

So is that Riptide! :dead: :biggrin:

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 03 2017 03:44

Nymphomanius wrote:Damn all I can see is a Riptide pilot getting an error message on his UI now like an old windows PC

The Tau Empire uses Windows XP? I thought the earth caste IT department installed Linux? No, no wait, that was in the Farsight Enclaves where the earth caste installed Linux. My bad! :roll:

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 20 2017 05:47

I think it could also be put down to size. The Riptide is much larger than XV8 scale suits, bigger even than broadsides and XV9s.

There could understandably be a trade off in terms of strength and size. Smaller shield fields are more concentrated and focused, and are therefore stronger than large shields which have to spread the energy further from the generator itself. This is also seen in comparing the shield drone with the guardian drone. Shield drone has a more powerful field, but it focuses on the drone itself, guardian drone spreads the shield over an entire squad, but it is weaker.

It wouldn't even matter if you had a more powerful generator, as energy will naturally dissipate as it gets further from the source, so making it more powerful would serve to strengthen it closer to the generator but it would still become weaker the further it got from the source.
Technically, if you could increase the initial power source by sufficient magnitude, you could make a larger shield more powerful, such as with base shields, or starships. The Riptide used to be able to overcharge the nova reactor to boost it's shield to a 3++ meaning that it would be both larger, and more powerful.

Return to “General Discussion”