Stormsurge Tactics

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Shas'vre Garcia
Shas

Stormsurge Tactics

Post#1 » Oct 10 2017 05:42

Hello everyone,

I may have missed a similar thread, but I was about to put together a KV128 Stormsurge, and I want to know which load out I should use?

I also have another question, which is totally different from this subject. How does Cadre Fireblade work with Breacher teams?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me!

You guys have been so awesome!

Nymphomanius
Shas

Re: Stormsurge Tactics

Post#2 » Oct 10 2017 05:58

Shas'vre Garcia wrote:Hello everyone,

I may have missed a similar thread, but I was about to put together a KV128 Stormsurge, and I want to know which load out I should use?

I also have another question, which is totally different from this subject. How does Cadre Fireblade work with Breacher teams?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me!

You guys have been so awesome!

Personally I think you should run it with the pulse driver cannon as you ideally want the anchors deployed.

In terms of the fireblade and breachers they don't work together, darkstriker however works very well with them.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Stormsurge Tactics

Post#3 » Oct 10 2017 07:11

Shas'vre Garcia wrote:I may have missed a similar thread, but I was about to put together a KV128 Stormsurge, and I want to know which load out I should use?

There was a lot of discussion some weeks ago, but most people seem to be using the following build:

Pulse Driver, 2x Burst Cannons, ATS, Shield Generator, +1 system of your choice.

The Pulse Driver seems to be the better gun for long-range tank hunting. However, it's low shot volume means you need to use a Markerlight and be liberal with your Command Re-Rolls. Burst Cannons over Flamers as the Stormsurge ideally should operate behind some kind of screen to prevent melee attacks, and Airbursting Fragmentation Projectors are just awful. ATS is an unbelievably powerful choice, as it improves the firepower by a considerable amount, on every gun, for only 8 points. The Shield Generator is a controversial choice but it seems good- 40 points for a 4++ save on a model that will cost about 500 points. Without the Shield Generator, the Stormsurge is very vulnerable to Lascannons. Finally, for your last System, there are a few good options:

- Early Warning Override: If you use the Stormsurge on a flank, the EWO is the perfect system for preventing deep strike attacks. If the enemy land within the 12" range of the EWO, they will be obliterated by the Stormsurge's overwhelming firepower. If they land outside the 12" range, they can't charge.

- Counterfire Defense System: If you don't screen the Stormsurge against melee assaults, this is basically a necessity.

- Velocity Tracker: If your local meta has lots of flyers, the Velocity Tracker will do an absurd amount of work, buffing 500 points worth of guns for only 2 points.

- Drone Controller: If you're using the Pulse Blastcannon, and you want to stride confidantly toward your enemy to use that tasty 10" range while nestling yourself in a loving burrito of BS4+ Gun Drones, this is the System for you. Is this a good idea? I'll leave that to you. :D

Shas'vre Garcia wrote:I also have another question, which is totally different from this subject. How does Cadre Fireblade work with Breacher teams?

These units actually don't have any interaction. If you like Breachers, pair them with Darkstrider if you want a synergistic unit. Darkstrider is expensive for what he does, though. Since he only buffs one squad, and Breachers have a maximum squad size of 10, this makes the Devilfish-mounted Darkstrider/Breacher combo fractionally inefficient. Remember a Devilfish holds 12 models. Let's look at two possible mechanized Breacher builds, and one mechanized Gun Drone build (for comparison):

Build 1:
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Total: 252

Build 2:
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Total: 223

Build 3:
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Total: 257

Let's look at the total damage output against a squad of ordinary Tactical Marines:

Build 1: 7.259 wounds (34.7pts/w)
Build 2: 6.667 wounds (33.4pts/w)
Build 3: 7.223 wounds (35.6pts/w)

The benefit of the Darkstrider+10 group is that you get an extra BS2+ Markerlight (really BS3+ because he's always moving), an extra HQ for making detachments, and slightly higher (but less points-efficient) damage.

The benefit of the 6+6 group is that you get more shots, more bodies, more efficiency, lower cost, but fractionally lower damage. Though, honestly I wouldn't bother with the difference between 6.7 and 7.3 wounds anyway. You also get an extra Troops choice for making detachments.

Remember though, that these formations must operate within 5" of enemy targets while the Gun Drone + Fireblade combo operates with a little more leeway at 9" range.

Return to “General Discussion”